CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 06-09-2006, 11:45 AM   #1
David Swanson

Profile:  
I've seen various conflicting advice and I'm coming here to see what you guys/gals think.

Should one mix their martial art training with high intensity circuits? I've heard that you should leave the exercise conditioning elements till after the skill based workout. For the most part I train skill before hand but usually do a circuit that looks like this:

3-4 Rounds of:
3Min on Heavy Bag (These alternate sometimes working only power punching and kicking, just kicking, complex combinations, or evasive footwork and retreating while striking)
20 75kilo bearhug clean to alternating shoulder sandbag lift (awful desription: basically pick up the bag in a bearhug position and then power clean it to one should, put back in bearhug and put to other shoulder)
20 pound medicine ball twist slams against the heavy bag, 10 each side.
10 40 pound squat thrusts (one forty pound dumbbell do ten reps each side.

This usually has me sucking wind and my breaks between the bag round and the circuit are usually enough time to put on some gloves and grab a sip of water. I go as close to full intensity as I can.

Now, should I do the rounds on the mixed workout, because I like to train as tired as possible as it makes things much, much more difficult, or leave the circuit till after the bag rounds?

Any thoughts? experiences?
Old 06-10-2006, 11:05 AM   #2

Profile:

do both - work new and/or difficult technique while you're as fresh as possible, because it's neurological motor learning and the fresher you are, the more precise the movements will be, and the better the learning.

then you can do mixed training for conditioning because obviously you need to be able to work your skills while gassed. but definitely spend at least some time training skills fresh regardless of what you do for conditioning.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:40 AM   #3
Gary Turner

Profile:
Lol!
Its a funny one as there is no right answer...

As Greg says, you should do your technical learning while fresh, giving you more opportunity to get the techniques right and learn better...

BUT...

Often the biggest hold up to getting a technique (be it combination, individual application, whatever) is to 'try' to get it to work. Invariably this makes the practitioner try with too much tension. With my students I am noting that their technique keeps getting better the more tired they are during a session...seems that they are so knackered, they can't try, they just do!

Badly worded, but I hope you get the gist.

Summarise - variety is always the key!

Smiler
Old 06-22-2006, 07:49 AM   #4
Gregory E. Hotaling

Profile:  
Dave, Thanks for posting this. I have wondered the same thing. Also. Is there room for the usual heavy lifting, i.e. squat bench and dl when you are training MMA and crossfit? Does anyone mix in those lifts for strength?
Old 06-23-2006, 07:34 AM   #5
John Hoffner

Profile:
I try to follow the WOD Mon & Tues/Thurs & Friday, the days 'off' I train BJJ or Krav Maga, 3-4 nights a week depending on when I can get there.
In my most humble beginners opinion the olympic & powerlifting strength training of the WOD (squats, cleans, deadlifts, bench, all of it)helps me feel stronger during both my striking and grappling. If may not be the most efficient way to build strength but it gives me what I feel is strength endurance, the ability to go longer stronger than the opponent.