CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 06-20-2006, 07:03 PM   #1
Bill Russell

Profile:
I just gotta say that I really love this whole Crossfit thing! I'm just starting my 3rd month.

Anyone here into Hapkido?

I'm from northeast Ohio where there seems to be quite a strong contingent, mostly down from the late Grand Master Kim. I have a hard time finding Hapkido schools when I am out of town.

I travel extensively for business and am always looking for places to workout while away from home.

One of the best places I have found is a MMA school in Miami called Freestyle Fighting Academy. I have not travelled to Miami lately but next time I am there I will go back for a workout.

Please let me know of any places who would welcome an old guy working out in Sarasota, Tampa, Ft. Meyers, Scottsdale, Orlando or Miami.

I'm mainly interested in Hapkido, Judo and BJJ, and maybe I should check out Krav too!

Old 06-26-2006, 03:56 PM   #2
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
I did a little bit of Hapkido last year, but drilling wrist locks and break aways over and over got old pretty fast. I could go to 3-4 classes without washing my dobok because WE NEVER SWEAT!
Old 06-26-2006, 05:40 PM   #3
Bill Russell

Profile:
I guess that would be a little boring. Like they say, it's not the specific art that is important, but the quality of instruction. Hapkido, with the proper instruction, is an awesome mix that teaches you how to fight in all four ranges.

I've been lucky to have pretty tough instructors over the years who really value a high fitness level in their students.

We have some pretty kick-*** workouts when we mix in a lot of judo throws and grappling. We have been slowly working in CF workouts at the end of our 90 minute classes, trying not to kill anyone! One of my students is a cop and former Marine, he turned me on to Crossfit a couple months ago. It has been awesome for me.

I wish there was a Gracie school anywhere near me. I've had a fairly good exposure to BJJ over the past 3-4 years but most of it is 2nd or 3rd hand. I'd love to train somewhere where I could get the certified belts.