CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 06-08-2006, 05:13 AM   #1
ramiro ramirez

Profile:  
hi my name is Ramiro Rmz. my question is can some one help me whit my training i do martial arts actualy i have a school in Mexico i teach American Kenpo under Mr. Jeff Speakman, i started doing the crossfit WOD but i need help organizing the wod whit my martial arts.
Old 06-08-2006, 06:19 PM   #2
Kent Sewell

Profile:
I'd talk to Jeff Martin at Brand X Martial Arts or Hackleman at Crosspit
Old 06-09-2006, 12:47 AM   #3
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Moving to CrossPit
Old 06-09-2006, 09:26 AM   #4
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Ramiro,
I would be happy to help if I can. Please contact me at Jeff@brandxmartialarts.com .
Old 06-09-2006, 09:50 AM   #5
Bobby A. Smith

Profile:
Good Question!
Old 06-09-2006, 10:35 AM   #6
Jeff Martin

Profile:
It is a good question, but a little too broad. We use Crossfit in several ways.
1. Sometimes as a warm up, did this last week before our BJJ clininc.
2. Sometimes as GPP for a class. In our Kenpo class we'll run something like Helen a couple times a week to up the fitness level of the students who don't attend our Crossfit classes.
3. Sometimes as a stressor. We'll have someone do a Fran like workout and then have them defend attacks from fresh opponents.
4. Sometimes we'll incorporate CrossPit, to help students train good strong punching technique even when tired, or aggressive sparring even when tired.
5. Sometimes as punishment. Because even though the Pit Master recommends it we still can't spank the students.:lol:
Old 06-09-2006, 11:40 AM   #7
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
I teach private lessons as well as group so my input is a little different than some.

For my private lessons (30 min, one on one training), I incorporate CrossFit basics like squat practice, push up form, the progressions to kipping pull ups, etc. I usually wait until the end of class to cover this stuff as more of a 'bonus' type of training. Much of the time, I have enough time to introduce them to one or two rounds of a workout to give them a taste (and enough to leave them gasping). I would rather they do full workouts on their own time (they aren't paying me to watch them sweat, just how to sweat correctly).

When I teach group classes (30min or 1hr, 5 - 20 people) it varies between the attendees of the class. I would say the MOST IMPORTANT things I have gotten from CF in relation to my teaching Kenpo has been the power of the stopwatch, and alternating movements.

Nothing like 30s of punching and 30s of kicks on a pad for 3 rounds to get the blood pumping. I also love using the Tabata interval with everything from knees, to 3-5 move combinations, to classic movements like squats. Like the private lessons, if I go over movements like squat form, the snatch or wall ball, I keep it to a minimum unless serious form work is needed. Most of the time the workouts are on the short side, just to get people's minds around what "working out" should be (and to de-bunk what most of them think already). I let them do the hardworkouts on their own time.

I like to blur the line between when something is just a pure fitness workout, and when it is a 'Martial Art' workout. My students don't know the difference, it is all just "Working out".

After all, isn't Kenpo just functional movements, done at high intensity, seemingly at random? . . . Wait. . .That's CrossFit. . .no, it's Kenpo. . . aw, now I am all confused!:biggrin: