CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 03-23-2005, 11:56 AM   #1
Jay Ashman

Profile:
I am in the process of a career change/life change. And I want your opinions on it, since this would be the proper forum to express this.

I am a Union Electrician as we speak, but I am going to turn in my ticket to go back to college for kinesiology. I am not happy at all with the Elec. business, it doesn't fit me and I dread going to work everyday. I've always wanted to get involved in personal training but was too hesitant to do it because of the fear of change factor.

I have a vast knowledge already about lifting, nutrition, supplementation and prehab from my years of athletics, lifting and reading. I am also 30 years old and the time is now for a change like this.

I will not lie, it is frightening to make a change like this so dramatically, but I believe that I can be a success at this and actually be able to wake up and enjoy going to work rather than dread it.

What are your opinions on this, and what advice can you give me to help me along the way?

I am going to make this change within the next two weeks. I bartend 3 nights a week right now, bounce 2 and I still collect my unemployment check for the next 2 months so it wouldn't really be a problem money wise right now.

I know it is a lucrative, rewarding and fulfilling career field and I want to be a part of making someone be the best they can be.
Old 03-23-2005, 12:12 PM   #2
Beth Moscov

Profile:
Go for it Jay. I have changed careers a few times in my life - always "following my bliss" as Joseph Campbell phrased it. I was telling my son the other day that getting a good job is important as an adult but if you can get a good job and love your work too, that is really success!

Advice to help you along the way? It isn't any different than doing a WOD. It might seem tough at times and there will be difficulties but get through it and you will be very satisfied!
Old 03-23-2005, 01:05 PM   #3
Donald Woodson

Profile:

Quick situation assessment:
30 yo.
Single.
Pulling wires vs. healthy ladies in leotards.
Hmmm...yer kidding right?
Old 03-23-2005, 02:27 PM   #4
Jay Ashman

Profile:
LOL!! Donald, I guess when you put it that way..

I've always been resistant to serious change, but it really is time to get past that.

I've wanted to do this for a long time, but always had a reason not to, mainly fear. I was always trying to make the money and not build for a future.

With the Union job, I have both, but I hate it. I'm not going to be one of those 50 year old guys who hates his job and hates his life. Not going to be me.

Am I scared of changing, yes...but I know it will pay off in the long run and provide me with a better and more rewarding future.

Old 03-23-2005, 02:30 PM   #5
Daniel Overvoll

Profile:
Jay,

As a pretty conservative and responsible guy, I say "GO FOR IT!" You are in a unique position to make the change if you have no wife/kids. IF you need to scale back some costs temporarily(cheaper housing, cars, etc.) commit to it now so you can stay on track. You are not "chasing a dream" you are building your life.

Finally, two words: Health Insurance. Make sure whatever you are doing to pay the bills you have good health insurance. If you have to eat vennison and home grown vegetables 5 nights a week, keep up with your health insurance.

I wish you all the best on your plan and let us know how things are going as you progress.

DanO
Old 03-23-2005, 02:43 PM   #6
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
Beth... Joseph Campbell rocks! I have a few of his books and PBS DVDs.

Brad
Old 03-23-2005, 02:52 PM   #7
Jay Ashman

Profile:
Well, I do have one daughter with an ex-wife that I pay support on. My bartending and bouncing jobs pay enough money that I can afford the support payments, plus any money I make training now will only help. It will be hard work, but I know I can do it.

I will get hospitalization only just in case I get hurt playing rugby. Nothing more for now until I get established in my career and I can afford to plunk 400 beans per month for the PPO.

My daughter is under my ex's insurance, she finally got a job with insurance (don't get me started on the nasty divorce I had to go thru, LOL), so that isn't an issue with that.

Food isn't an issue, because I can eat cheap. I can make 200 dollars of food last a month. Especially since I work in a bar that serves food...I can eat there as well. :-)

I have put some thought into this and I think it will be the best move for me. I'm just nervous about the change...as most would be.
Old 03-23-2005, 03:59 PM   #8
Don Stevenson

Profile:
Jay,

I was in the same position about 6 months ago. I had a steady job making excellent money but my career was going nowhere and I hated what i was doing. (I was working as a chemist in an edible fat factory)

So even though I couldn't really afford it, I quit my job and started my own personal training business.

It's been a tough 6 months but things are picking up quickly and what i've found is that if you put the effort in opportunities and help will start to appear.

Good luck in your new career and if you want any advice on mistakes to avoid in your first 6 months shoot me an email, i've learned a few the hard way!
Old 03-23-2005, 04:07 PM   #9
Pat Janes

Profile:

I've been considering almost exactly the same move, Jay.

Hate my job and spend most of my time working out anyway; so why not make a career out of it?

Only I do have a wife and 4 kids (and an extra live-in 15yo nephew at the moment), so I can't just pick up and move on. If I can manage to achieve some financial stability in the next year though, I will be joining you.

Don, you're much closer to home for me (local knowledge); so if/when I get around to it, you can count on some questions...
Old 03-23-2005, 04:54 PM   #10
Barry Cooper

Profile:
There is nothing worse than living without hope. The fact is, if you keep doing what you're doing, you'll keep getting the same result. If you can't be happy with that result, you would be crazy not to go for it. I've found that, even if you fail, you will gain in self-respect, because you had the cajones to try. Most successes are failures.