CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 10-12-2005, 06:14 PM   #1
Adrian Bozman

Profile:
First a bit of background:

I've been crossfitting officially for about 8 months although much of my training prior was heading in a similar direction. I started working my body in an attempt to gear up for a move to San Francisco to attend the circus school here. I refused to accept that one could not get stronger, faster, more flexible and better at everything all at once (much to the chagrin of people I talked to regarding training and especially training for a specific sport).

Fast forward about 3-4 years. My priorities changed (the circus school came and went, but that's another story), but my ideals regarding performance did not. Crossfit is one of the only things I've come across that got me truly excited when I found it ('what is fitness' continues to be my top recommendation to anyone who asks my opinion about improving performance) and continues to resonate as the initial successes of a new program fade.

Anyway I started Krav Maga a few months back because it looked like fun and I thought it would be something valuable that my wife could get into as well (she's ended up being more dedicated to Krav than I am).

We took our first level test on Saturday. This consisted of a 3.5 hour 'workshop', which was intentionally designed to wear us out mentally and physically, a 10 minute break, and then the 1.5 hour test. I'd heard from several people that conserving yourself in the workshop was a good idea due to the length of the test. Well I hate holding back, especially in something like Krav Maga where aggression and intent are so important, so I didn't. Thanks to Crossfit, I felt I maintained a great power output and never had to 'tone it down' throughout the entire 5 hour span.

Was I whipped at the end? Damn rights. Did I wake up the next morning with my wife feeling like someone had beat the living s*** out of me? You betcha (oh wait, they kinda did :-)). Did my technique waver? It was definately not pretty at the end, but I was pleased with my performance and got the job done... thanks for the great program.

Oh, and we both passed!
Old 10-12-2005, 06:22 PM   #2
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Adrian,
I get to be the first to congratulate you. Passing Lvl one is not easy. Sounds like they did the test right.
Good luck in Lvl two.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:34 AM   #3
Beth Moscov

Profile:
Adrian - you and your wife are awesome. I had a taste of krav maga from Jeff at a local seminar he did here. What an awesome thing that must have been to go through.

Jeff and Adrian - how does this "level one" thing work? Is that sort of like rank or belts in other types of martial arts? What does it mean?
Old 10-14-2005, 12:33 PM   #4
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Beth are you defending the triangle? There is a belt system in Krav Maga. However most of us who teach it choose not to wear or have our students wear belts. Most of us set up our classes to correspond with levels. There is defined curriculum within each level and the test is built around it. Each test is comprehensive so they get longer and harder as you move on.
I also wanted to echo Adrian's endorsement of CrossFit. At our last test we had sixteen people in the test 5 committed CrossFitters. We had a 2.5 hour workshop with one 30 second water break at the end of the workshop the group was given a 2 minute "lunch break" and then the test started. We gave them the same magnanimous 30 second water break about half way through the 3 hour test. The CrossFit people performed great throughout, of the other eleven, 5 had to go outside to puke. (Yes they made it outside it was a condition of passing the test.)
Old 10-14-2005, 04:27 PM   #5
Beth Moscov

Profile:
Jeff - I am passing the guard. I have both her legs and one foot on the floor. I tend to do that since crossfit cause now I can simply stand up (deadlift) with my competitor around my neck/waist/whatever - even the bigger guys (not the 200lbers yet though). This was a great fight. The two of us are tiny and feisty. She is also a black belt in karate (or another belt close to it). I started by jumping into guard and knocking her down right into mount. At one point she stood up and started to threaten me with a punch and I was right there to defend it without thinking at all. She actually won on a technicality but it was really cool. It was my first competition fight. OH - and she is French and started swearing in French. It was cute!

Crossfit makes a big difference for BJJ too. A lot of folks I know say that they could feel a difference in their game within a few weeks of starting crossfit.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:24 PM   #6
Josh Brehm

Profile:
I know this is kind of the wrong thread to post this is, but I didn't feel as if the question deserved a thread of it's own.

Do you guys find KM to be better for law enforcement/self defense or muay thai/bjj mix?
Old 10-14-2005, 10:13 PM   #7
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Josh,
Definately KM. and then throw in some BJJ. The defenses against weapons are extremely effective. Have a couple of stories I can share with you. If you are interested.
Old 10-15-2005, 09:05 AM   #8
Josh Brehm

Profile:
Definitely Jeff, lets here them!
Old 10-16-2005, 11:07 AM   #9
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Josh this was sent out by a Force Training Instructor. I'll follow up later if you like with a testimonial from one of my guys who was a BJJ guy who trained at the Lion's Den and switched over to KM.

"Here is a edged weapon defense story for you from the Denver Police Department told to me by the officer himself:

A Denver PD officer is doing traffic enforcement and pulls over a drunk driver. The guy is totally uncooperative and drunk, cussing saying he is not going to get out of the car. The officer opens the driver door and uses a twist lock to get the supsect out of the car. As he exits the car, the officer feels the suspect start to spin on him and sees him making a punching movement towards his head. He had just gone through a KM edged weapon instructor course so he blocked what he thought was a punch and used an elbow strike to the head as a counter. The officer heard something metal hit the ground and saw a large folding knife laying on the ground next to them. He immediately followed up with knees strikes and the suspect collapsed to the ground. When he took the suspect to jail to book him they noticed that he had large scares and cut marks across his chest (the officer said they were in the shape of X's). He asked him where he got those scars and he said that he had been in alot of knife fights. When they ran his rap sheet they found he had been arrested 17 times and most of them for ADW with a knife. This guy was a knife fighter.

The officer has a backround in Tai Boxing, JKD and Mixed Martial Arts and he told the class that he liked the KM but he thought he would use something else in the field. He said it came out of him so naturally that he didn't even thing about what he was doing and he never saw the knife, only the punch. He ended his story by saying that is TOTALLY sold on KM and for them to take the training serious.

Let everyone at KMW know that KM is saving lives!"
Old 10-16-2005, 11:53 AM   #10
Josh Brehm

Profile:
Wow, good job to that cop. Goes to show that it doesn't have to take years before you can use what you've learned in MA to defend yourself. Any more stories you or anyone else has, love to hear them.