CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 11-25-2006, 05:37 AM   #1
Michael Lynn

Profile:
About a year and a half ago I threw out my back squatting too much weight with bad form. Now I have this chronic pain in my lower back.

I often wake up with it sore, and I can't lift a substantial amount of wieght, such as deadlifting or squatting without feeling it slightly there.

How should I go about strengthening my lower back so I can perform these movements without being hindered? Should I just start with low-weight dealifts and squats as prescribed and work my way up?

Thank you,
-Mike
Old 11-25-2006, 08:28 AM   #2
Elliot Royce

Profile:
I don't think you'll get into trouble with bridges or Glute Ham machine work. However, I'd be a bit cautious about getting back into things without a better diagnosis. If it was just a muscle strain, it should have disappeared by now, unless the weakness is allowing reinjury. On the other hand, it could be a disk injury, which would mean not going too heavy. Ideally, you would get an MRI and then confer with a good orthopedist or chiropractor.

If that's not possible, I would go for bodyweight exercises (bodyweight squats building up to 200 or doing Tabatas, bridges, supermans, ab work, Glute Ham Developer) and build up the core strength. If the pain disappears, you know you've got the problem solved. If it is still there, you may need to consider that it's a disk problem. However, for most disk problems, exercise is still recommended, just not heavy weights or things that inflame the nerve.

Stretching, yoga, acupuncture could also work. Someone should check out whether those muscles are just in spasm continuously because of poor body posture or poor mechanics (slumping, lifting with the back). Check out www.egoscue.com

Old 11-25-2006, 09:26 AM   #3
Michael Lynn

Profile:
Thank you very much Elliot.

The pain seems to be two or three inches right of my spine, just above the back of the pelvis. Often it feels more weak than painful.

-Mike
Old 11-25-2006, 10:37 AM   #4
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
If heavy weight hurts then simply don't do heavy....go single legged...like pistols, lunges, step ups, etc. That will work the muscles in the legs enough without putting excess weight on the spine. Try OH squat with 1 light dumbbell (to help strengthen the core and posterior chain)....to see if that helps or hurts. Of course seek professional diagnosis if the pain is severe. Stretching the lower back, hams, glutes and hip flexors will help bring the pelvis back into alignment as it is most likely out of whack. Slow and steady....you make positive gains.....do too much too quick...you'll be set back again. Be smart as you have your whole life to train.
Old 11-25-2006, 08:52 PM   #5
Jordan Dotson

Profile:
Hey man, I've been dealing with what sounds like the exact same pain for 8 years now...tweaked muscle to the right of the lumbar area, feels like it's right on the edge of the pelvis...hurt randomly sometimes when you wake up in the morning?
One thing & one thing alone has kept it from bothering me in the past, & that's strict attention to core work. Particularly making sure your Transverse Abdominus is nice & tight. A therapist said that after I injured it (same way), minor muscles in the hips/lower stomach grew underdeveloped & caused an imbalance--& even today they still seem to stay that way if I let my abs get into anything less than excellent shape. Not what you want to hear after Thanksgiving, huh?
Old 11-25-2006, 09:35 PM   #6
Michael Lynn

Profile:
lol, very true Jordan.

Sounds exactly like what I have. How do you keep your core in perfect working order, if you don't mind my asking?
Old 11-27-2006, 09:22 PM   #7
Jordan Dotson

Profile:
Well, for awhile I simply had to make ab workouts my priority--for me they always have been the easiest workouts to skip when I felt tired or after a fun round of legwork.
As for the training itself, I worked my way up to a lot of weighted core work, focusing on stuff like roman chairs, high-decline situps, & russian twists, where once you build up a solid level of strength, you can add weight & get some serious muscular strength in those minor core muscles. I also put a lot of emphasis on working through full ranges of motion a la Bruce Lee.
The hardcore CF exercises like OH squats, KB stuff, will certainly improve your core in that regard--but those kinds were always the exercises that left me with a little tweak I'd have to coddle for two days. Plus, the way I see it, if I have a deficiency hindering me in those complex exercises, I shouldn't be relying only on them to bring up the deficiency when I can do so directly and avoid potential injury. Going hardcore directly on my stomach for about 6-8 weeks completely stopped those little tweaks. When my training partner would hate on it & want to do machine crunches or something, I'd just tell him "Hey, I don't want abs that girls think are pretty, I want abs that scare the hell out of people."
Oh, & I'd always try to include at least one traditional stabilization exercise because that's the way your core muscles will be firing off during deadlifts, squats, etc. Personal favorites: Dragon Flags (negatives, took me FOREVER to work up to real ones), controlled hanging leg raises, & glute/ham raises with an isometric pause and full body contraction at the top.
OH! & definitely work on hamstring flexibility if you think that might be a problem--tight hammies just back your lower back muscles stretch when they don't need to be stretching.
Personally, I'm recovering from a slew of injuries & I'm almost right back to where you are because of it, so I'd like to hear how you progress as I'll be doing the same.
Old 11-28-2006, 04:57 AM   #8
Kevin Richards

Profile:
I have similar issues - what is a Dragon Flag?
Old 11-28-2006, 08:29 AM   #9
Michael Lynn

Profile:
"Hey, I don't want abs that girls think are pretty, I want abs that scare the hell out of people."

Now that's an awesome quote.

What I did today was the CF warm-up and then 6 sets of 6 squats with only about 95 lbs. Not a whole hell of a lot of weight, but no tweaks or pings, so that's all I care about.

What I'll probably do is split it up on a 3 day cycle, 2 exercises a day, something like this:

Day 1:Roman chairs and Dragon flags,
Day 2:Russian twists and Controller hanging raise
Day 3:High-decline situps and the glute/ham raise

Probably 3-4 sets of each, 10-15 reps/20-30 seconds. Does that seem about right?

Now I'm kind of guessing on the glute/ham raise. Could you explain a bit more?

One of my staple exercises before getting into crossfit, was a high-decline situp with a medecine ball and a partner. As you come up, you throw the medecine ball to your partner, then they throw in back as you decline. forgot where I found it, but I love it.

I'll keep you posted Jordan, and thanks for all your help.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:18 PM   #10
Jordan Dotson

Profile:
Kevin, think "Rocky 4" & check out this ab-exercise article on DragonDoor by Brad Johnson (work/family safe, unless your coworkers disdain badass workouts): http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/35/

Mike, those medicine ball situps are one of my favorites too--they're hard to cheat on cause you gotta get that friggin' ball off! Incorporates plyometric aspects as well.

That sounds like a great progression to me though--they're all exercises that'll really tax your core so you don't need more than 3-4 sets. Also, I forgot to mention last time, I keep a strict record of my core work so I can measure marginal progress from week to week. Keep that motivation up, ya know?

Basically what I meant for those glute/ham raises is (oh I love this one, gets me good & dizzy if I push it too hard) a typical glute/ham/back raise at about a pace of about 1 second up/2-3 s pause/1 s down/1s rest. During that 2-3 sec pause at the top, I contract my entire core-butt, stomach, back, hips-as hard as I can before going down. It's sort of a takeoff of the total body contractions that Coach Sommer & Pavel talk about frequently.

I tell you, I'm doing the exact same thing on squats right now...much better safe than sorry. Even thinking about completely subbing Pistols for squats for the time being. Good luck to ya!