CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 03-07-2006, 02:21 PM   #11
Jason Millard

Profile:
In my immediate area, EXCELLENT! Rocky, muddy, & rooty, just the way I like it. Miles & miles of untapped single track. There's an XC motorcycle enduro that runs through the mountains around the town I grew up in. They cut (they have permission) new or add on to the trails pretty much every year. Heaven.

Jim Thorpe is only 20ish minutes away too. A lot of good stuff over there, a little crowed though.

Check out the link for some local pics (Jim Thorpe '04 gallery). The Jersey Action Riders needed a guide for a ride, got my # through the grapevine, and off we went. They camped in Jim Thorpe, the ride took place in Tamaqua. Good stuff. (I'm in black on the red/silver bike)

http://jerseyactionriders.org/gallery.htm

(Message edited by jaymills on March 07, 2006)
Old 03-07-2006, 02:42 PM   #12
Motion Macivor

Profile:
Cool there's a lot more rocks than i would have thought. Some of those pictures remind me of the riding in the BC interior. I'm dying to get out and ride but I've been snowed in since november and it just snowed again last night. So for now i'll just have to settle for deadlifts.
Old 03-07-2006, 03:27 PM   #13
Chris MacFarlane

Profile:
If you aren't into hardcore off road riding there is one bike not mentioned. Look into a Cross bike (I mean Cyclocross). With the right tire setup you can still go off road yet go fast on road. Especially fun in summer on group road rides.

I'm actually able to do the same thing's as those on a road bike. Was even better last year when I rode 80k on my winter knobbies and kept up with the group and chased the breakaway's.

Though I don't think that it's called cross anymore, I think it's called freeroad now.
Old 03-11-2006, 05:29 PM   #14
Brad Enns

Profile:
Just saw this discussion. I have a road bike, hardtail mountain bike, beater mountain bike with fenders for winter (minus 25 Celsius!) commuting, and built a singlespeed road bike this winter. Rode it for the first time last week and it was a gas. Get on top of the gear and your flying, till a hill. It made a 22 kilometre loop with a few small hills into a very intense ride. I agree with the comparison between bodybuilding and crossfit, and singlespeed and multi gear. And where I live in flat Winnipeg, all the couriers and cool kids have single speeds...:wink:
Old 03-11-2006, 06:02 PM   #15
Motion Macivor

Profile:
Hey brad are you related to Brian Enns?
Old 03-11-2006, 06:50 PM   #16
Gabe Rinaldi

Profile:
I'm having a 29er fully rigid single speed built up now. Hopefully I'll be riding it within a week. I'm going with a single speed for a new challenge and it will fit in more with my CrossFit training. It will also allow me to ride with my wife who is on a 26er full suspension geared bike and maybe not have to wait for her as much :-) I picked a 29er because I am 6'4" and it seems more appropriate for me (although I've never ridden a 29er before). Also, the 29er allows me to run a rigid fork (keeping things simple) and hopefully won't beat me up too bad. It will be simple, strong, somewhat light for its size, and a great training tool. Plus I find mountain biking fun. This is a lot of firsts for me - first rully rigid (well, since the 80's), first ss, first 29er. I'll post pics and a ride report after I get it.
Old 03-12-2006, 07:15 AM   #17
Brad Enns

Profile:
Gabe, I'd be interested to read that report. A 29'er is an interesting idea. What kind of gearing did you build it with? My road SS is 42 X 16 which is pretty standard for road riding around here, but it is pretty flat. I think off road 32 X 16 is the norm. I'm glad to see there are a few other cyclists in this community.
Old 03-12-2006, 10:27 AM   #18
Gabe Rinaldi

Profile:
I'm having it built with 32x20 with 180mm cranks. This is based on several recommendations from the 29er forum on mtbr. 32x16 is more normal for 26" tires off road. The 29er tires with big rubber take a bit more effort to accelerate so they require a larger cog to approximate the 26" setup. I intend to ride many mountain trails in Northern, CA. I'll post up a ride report after I get a few rides in (maybe a couple of weeks).