CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 06-15-2011, 01:30 PM   #1
Jake Rubash

Profile:
Today's Lifting - another snatch pr

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyEDMrLQoXA (wfs)
Critique and thoughts please. Sorry for the dark video.
BW @ 77kg
Old 06-15-2011, 02:26 PM   #2
Jake Rubash

Profile:
Re: Today's Lifting - another snatch pr

Not sure how to edit but i apologize, the music in the background of the video is not wfs. Please mute as needed.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:10 PM   #3
Peter Terry Haas

Profile:

That's fantastic. You look really good. I'll just throw in some nitpicks:

1. Clean&Jerk
- Clean is great. What's your front squat? The recovery looks like the hardest part for you, and you don't look that comfortable catching it deep.
- Any particular reason you don't split jerk?

2. Snatch
- You start low but your hips shoot up when you come off of the floor. Shove your knees out into your elbows in your start position. Stay in the squat as you come off of the floor, with your knees going out and back.

Again, you have some really strong lifts. Congrats on the PR. Looking forward to seeing more from you.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:45 PM   #4
Jake Rubash

Profile:

Peter:

Squats have always been my weak point and if I dont catch the initial bounce at heavy weights the clean becomes a problem. Though my best clean at 143 was out of a double bounce. Best FS is 155.

Jerks have never been a real issue, for the most part if I stand it up its going overhead. (Read: Clean is 143, Jerk is 152.5) As for the power jerk, I started lifting on my own and it was easier to self teach power than split.

The position my hips find in the snatch is right where i want them. I operate better with my hips starting pretty high. The initial start with my back very vertical is simply to help set my back. I've had big issues with that in the past. There should be a snatch from juniors on youtube that shows me prior to setting my back correctly... not pretty.

Thanks for your comments and encouragement!
Old 06-20-2011, 09:34 AM   #5
Peter Terry Haas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Rubash View Post
The position my hips find in the snatch is right where i want them. I operate better with my hips starting pretty high. The initial start with my back very vertical is simply to help set my back. I've had big issues with that in the past. There should be a snatch from juniors on youtube that shows me prior to setting my back correctly... not pretty.
That's fine. Go with whatever feels best to you. Shoving your knees out should help you set your back harder though, since you get the femurs out of the way of the anterior tilting of your pelvis. It also gives you the double bonus of engaging your glutes more.

IMHO, part of the reason you like the high hips is that you have issues getting past your knees b/c of your limb length. Getting your knees straight = getting them out of the way of the bar sooner. Shoving your knees out will also get them back sooner, while still helping you keep your quads loaded instead of dropping your chest and shifting the weight to your low back.

Again, go with what works for you. If you happen to try the knees out thing, let me know how it goes.