CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2011, 12:57 PM   #11
Shane Skowron
Member Shane Skowron is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Queens  NY
Posts: 3,800
Re: Melatonin - I wish it helped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Whities View Post
I think it was 10.99 for a 30 day supply. 3mg per. I'm on a tight budget, so I hate to waste.
That's a rip-off actually. I get for $3.50 and I think it's 90 tablets at 3mg.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 01:30 PM   #12
Michael Dries
Member Michael Dries is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Fair Lawn  NJ
Posts: 821
Re: Melatonin - I wish it helped.

natural calm magnesium. 3 tsp before bed + 6mg of melatonin = putting me to sleep fast.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 03:50 PM   #13
Meghan Reid
Member Meghan Reid is offline
 
Meghan Reid's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Philadelphia  PA
Posts: 2,475
Re: Melatonin - I wish it helped.

+1 to the Natural Calm.

Also, what do you usually do leading up to bed. Lots of research out there on things like blue light from tv and computer screens effing with your sleep patterns and making your body think that it's daytime.

Maybe try actively shutting off those things or other sources of blue light around the same time the sun is naturally setting. Also, make sure your cell phone is face down if you keep it by your bed and your digital clock is covered up.

Lights Out is a great book on how this stuff, as trivial as it may seem, is wrecking our sleep patterns. Just a thought!
__________________
Strength is more than just the number of plates on the bar. It is everything that is overcome with each lift. - Liz Edmonds My log (WFS).
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 04:54 PM   #14
Steven Low
Member Steven Low is offline
 
Steven Low's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: silver spring  maryland
Posts: 12,221
Re: Melatonin - I wish it helped.

computer light is terrible for sleep cycle. I'm currently trying to eliminate this close to when I sleep

Same thing with elimination of

sounds
pitch black room
electronic devices
cool, dry room (60-65 or so degrees is good if possible)

magnesium may help (via ZMA or natural calm)
melatonin helps some people
5-HTP
L-theonine

There's other stuff too..... computer is definitely one of the big things

Overtraining is another too... and diet as well if that's poor.

Lots of stuf you can work on honestly
__________________
Posts are NOT medical, training, nutrition info
Bodyweight Article, Overcoming Gravity Book
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 05:42 PM   #15
Andy Gann
Member Andy Gann is offline
 
Andy Gann's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Kodak  TN
Posts: 1,998
Re: Melatonin - I wish it helped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
computer light is terrible for sleep cycle. I'm currently trying to eliminate this close to when I sleep

Same thing with elimination of

sounds
pitch black room
electronic devices
cool, dry room (60-65 or so degrees is good if possible)

magnesium may help (via ZMA or natural calm)
melatonin helps some people
5-HTP
L-theonine

There's other stuff too..... computer is definitely one of the big things

Overtraining is another too... and diet as well if that's poor.

Lots of stuf you can work on honestly
I've been using this program - it takes a bit to get used to but it adjusts your computer monitor's lighting to match the amount of natural sunlight outside of your house ....

FLUX - WFS
__________________
The greatest of journeys began with a single step. LOG
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 06:28 PM   #16
Matthew Reilly
Member Matthew Reilly is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: St. Louis  MO
Posts: 106
Re: Melatonin - I wish it helped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
That's a rip-off actually. I get for $3.50 and I think it's 90 tablets at 3mg.
Where do you buy it?
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 06:41 PM   #17
Shane Skowron
Member Shane Skowron is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Queens  NY
Posts: 3,800
Re: Melatonin - I wish it helped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Reilly View Post
Where do you buy it?
Just checked and it's actually 60 tablets, but still it's a good deal. I get it at some discount warehouse around here. For some reason they stock supplements.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:12 PM   #18
Michael Whities
Member Michael Whities is offline
 
Michael Whities's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Brandon  MS
Posts: 632
Re: Melatonin - I wish it helped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
That's a rip-off actually. I get for $3.50 and I think it's 90 tablets at 3mg.
Ok, I have a bottle of 100 for 10.99. I was thinking 30 for some reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dries View Post
natural calm magnesium. 3 tsp before bed + 6mg of melatonin = putting me to sleep fast.
I'll try 6mg of melatonin tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghan Reid View Post
+1 to the Natural Calm.

Also, what do you usually do leading up to bed. Lots of research out there on things like blue light from tv and computer screens effing with your sleep patterns and making your body think that it's daytime.

Maybe try actively shutting off those things or other sources of blue light around the same time the sun is naturally setting. Also, make sure your cell phone is face down if you keep it by your bed and your digital clock is covered up.

Lights Out is a great book on how this stuff, as trivial as it may seem, is wrecking our sleep patterns. Just a thought!
I am a computer junkie and I've tried refraining from getting on. I'll be readi8ng a book tonight for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
computer light is terrible for sleep cycle. I'm currently trying to eliminate this close to when I sleep

Same thing with elimination of

sounds
pitch black room
electronic devices
cool, dry room (60-65 or so degrees is good if possible)

magnesium may help (via ZMA or natural calm)
melatonin helps some people
5-HTP
L-theonine

There's other stuff too..... computer is definitely one of the big things

Overtraining is another too... and diet as well if that's poor.

Lots of stuf you can work on honestly
My room where the bed is, is pitch black, minus my clock. I'll try that tonight too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Gann View Post
I've been using this program - it takes a bit to get used to but it adjusts your computer monitor's lighting to match the amount of natural sunlight outside of your house ....

FLUX - WFS
Interesting, I'll need to look into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Reilly View Post
Where do you buy it?
A small mom and pop drug store. It's 100 pill for 10.99.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
Just checked and it's actually 60 tablets, but still it's a good deal. I get it at some discount warehouse around here. For some reason they stock supplements.
Ahh nice.

Thanks again everyone. I'll be trying 6mgs tonight.
__________________
Squat :: Press :: Pull - (WFS)
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 07:03 AM   #19
Steven Low
Member Steven Low is offline
 
Steven Low's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: silver spring  maryland
Posts: 12,221
Re: Melatonin - I wish it helped.

180 pills for 6 bucks

wfs ("LOW052" for $5 off your first order)
http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Melat...enges/710?at=0

iherb pretty much has the cheapest prices of any place I've seen which is why I go with them if I want to try something out (and for my fish oil + vit D)

Oh yeah, for what it's worth if you don't get vitamin D and start supplemtning it can help your sleep. I've had a bunch of people tell me that. Worth a shot if you're not outside much, and especially if its winter
__________________
Posts are NOT medical, training, nutrition info
Bodyweight Article, Overcoming Gravity Book
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:51 AM   #20
Katherine Derbyshire
Member Katherine Derbyshire is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Seattle  WA
Posts: 7,596
Re: Melatonin - I wish it helped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Oh yeah, for what it's worth if you don't get vitamin D and start supplemtning it can help your sleep. I've had a bunch of people tell me that. Worth a shot if you're not outside much, and especially if its winter
However, I've found that taking vitamin D right before bed keeps me awake. So you might want to play around with the timing if you take it.

Katherine
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Squat helped by pants?? Latham Fell Exercises 5 07-26-2010 03:49 PM
Melatonin! Good? Jacob Israel Briskin Nutrition 52 09-28-2009 12:35 PM
Crossfit helped me help my neighbor Joe Shininger Testimonials 8 07-10-2008 08:01 AM
What has helped your acne? Emily Mattes Health and Medical Issues 31 03-04-2008 02:09 PM
To those who helped me... Frank Menendez Nutrition 1 02-14-2006 07:35 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.