CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-18-2011, 10:10 AM   #1
Michael Whities

Profile:
Melatonin - I wish it helped.

I started taking 3mg melatonin at night, about 30-60 minutes before bed. I get sleepy but, I can never really fall asleep.

Catch you up. I am/used to be a big time online gamer. Mostly D2 and I'd stay up till 2 or 3AM, got to bed and get up at 6 or 7AM. I've done this for the last 4 to 5 years or so. (Off and on but, 2 to 4 days a week at least.) Could this be a routine my body is on and will take time to get away from? Usually on Friday nights, I'll crash about 7 or 8 and sleep all night. I assume from my body telling me to get some sleep...

So now I'm trying to get to bed early and get 8 hours or more (if my two boys allow) of sleep at night. I've started the Paleo diet and will start working out (frequently) Sunday. But, when I lay down at 8 or 9, mt mind starts racing about everything and random crap.

I've tried the no computer/tv an hour before bed, all lights off, and anything else I could try without supplement help. So that's when I tried melatonin three days ago. I do get sleepy but, it's not enough to help me fall asleep. Since it's only 3mg per pill, would I benefit trying two pills? Also, I'm a big fella... 6' 6" and currently 331lbs. I know I've had to take more than prescribed before with other medications. I just don't want to go into a coma or anything with melatonin.

So any advice, suggestions will be appreciated. Also, I'll have two to three cups of coffee early in the AM and only water the rest of the day.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:32 AM   #2
Larry Hotchkiss

Profile:
Re: Melatonin - I wish it helped.

Ive never been a sound sleeper and I recently started taking ZMA about an hour before bed, ideally on an empty stomach and am amazed at how well it helps me sleep.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:44 AM   #3
Michael Whities

Profile:

Thanks for the reply. I want to try with melatonin first. Since I have a full bottle. I'll definitely try it next if this doesn't help. I've read a few posts about ZMA.

Thanks.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:44 AM   #4
Sara Thomas

Profile:

What worked for me:

1. Eliminate stress in your life.
2. Try a natural valerian and hops supplement.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:59 AM   #5
Jason Wallis

Profile:

Working out regularly will most likely help. As simple as it sounds, being tired is the best medicine for sleep.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:05 AM   #6
Vickie Ellickson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Wallis View Post
Working out regularly will most likely help. As simple as it sounds, being tired is the best medicine for sleep.
This.

For the most part, I've been pretty good about getting enough food, sleep and exercise, but it has always taken me at least 30-90mins to fall asleep. However, on the days when I get plenty of exercise, it is much easier to conk out. Try not to work out too late in the evening if you can avoid it. There are a couple of nights a week when I can't and I'm usually amped for awhile even though I'm physically tired.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:13 AM   #7
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Whities View Post
I started taking 3mg melatonin at night, about 30-60 minutes before bed. I get sleepy but, I can never really fall asleep.

Catch you up. I am/used to be a big time online gamer. Mostly D2 and I'd stay up till 2 or 3AM, got to bed and get up at 6 or 7AM. I've done this for the last 4 to 5 years or so. (Off and on but, 2 to 4 days a week at least.) Could this be a routine my body is on and will take time to get away from? Usually on Friday nights, I'll crash about 7 or 8 and sleep all night. I assume from my body telling me to get some sleep...

So now I'm trying to get to bed early and get 8 hours or more (if my two boys allow) of sleep at night. I've started the Paleo diet and will start working out (frequently) Sunday. But, when I lay down at 8 or 9, mt mind starts racing about everything and random crap.

I've tried the no computer/tv an hour before bed, all lights off, and anything else I could try without supplement help. So that's when I tried melatonin three days ago. I do get sleepy but, it's not enough to help me fall asleep. Since it's only 3mg per pill, would I benefit trying two pills? Also, I'm a big fella... 6' 6" and currently 331lbs. I know I've had to take more than prescribed before with other medications. I just don't want to go into a coma or anything with melatonin.

So any advice, suggestions will be appreciated. Also, I'll have two to three cups of coffee early in the AM and only water the rest of the day.
Yeah, I would suggest increasing melatonin to 6mg. I take 3mg every other night and on the weekends I double the dose to 6mg. I also take ZMA which also will knock you out if taken properly.

It's also more effective if you take it on a completely empty stomach.

It might take a couple weeks for you to notice a change in your sleeping habits.

The other thing you can try is having a carbohydrate spike before bed. On an empty stomach, try taking a decent amount of high-GI fruit like pineapples or grapes. Of course I'm going to get so much flak on here for suggesting you spike your insulin, but whatever, it certainly works. A small amount of whiskey on an empty stomach will also do the same, although I'm not saying that's a great idea for regular use.

The problem with doing what I just mentioned in conjunction with melatonin and ZMA is that your stomach will be full and so the effect will be diluted. But it's worth experimenting with.

Personally I've developed really good sleeping patterns through the above and a consistent training routine. With the exception of nights before some important events, I haven't had trouble sleeping in a very long time.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:00 PM   #8
Michael Whities

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara Thomas View Post
What worked for me:

1. Eliminate stress in your life.
2. Try a natural valerian and hops supplement.
I'm starting to work out again to get rid of the stress that's built up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Wallis View Post
I haven't started regularly yet... This Sunday I'll be starting a three day a week strength workouts and then doing CF work outs the other days. Until then, I'd like to sleep some. EDIT I'm always tired and yawning often... I just can't get to sleep. Soo many thoughts going through my head that wasn't before I laid down. (Funny thing is.. on my way home 5:30ish.. I could fall asleep driving, as soon as I get home, I'm wide awake for the rest of the night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie Ellickson View Post
This.

For the most part, I've been pretty good about getting enough food, sleep and exercise, but it has always taken me at least 30-90mins to fall asleep. However, on the days when I get plenty of exercise, it is much easier to conk out. Try not to work out too late in the evening if you can avoid it. There are a couple of nights a week when I can't and I'm usually amped for awhile even though I'm physically tired.
It usually takes me a few hours if not more. Night before last I went to bed around 9 or so and last time I looked at the clock it was 1:something... So it's even worse for myself. I did workout at nights and that didn't help at all much like yourself. So that's why I'm trying to go to bed between 8 and 9PM so I canget enogh sleep and wake up at 5 or so and go work out before work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
Yeah, I would suggest increasing melatonin to 6mg. I take 3mg every other night and on the weekends I double the dose to 6mg. I also take ZMA which also will knock you out if taken properly.

It's also more effective if you take it on a completely empty stomach.

It might take a couple weeks for you to notice a change in your sleeping habits.

The other thing you can try is having a carbohydrate spike before bed. On an empty stomach, try taking a decent amount of high-GI fruit like pineapples or grapes. Of course I'm going to get so much flak on here for suggesting you spike your insulin, but whatever, it certainly works. A small amount of whiskey on an empty stomach will also do the same, although I'm not saying that's a great idea for regular use.

The problem with doing what I just mentioned in conjunction with melatonin and ZMA is that your stomach will be full and so the effect will be diluted. But it's worth experimenting with.

Personally I've developed really good sleeping patterns through the above and a consistent training routine. With the exception of nights before some important events, I haven't had trouble sleeping in a very long time.
I'll try it. I just didn't want to take to much. That actually works for me, the insulin spike trick... just I'm trying to drop weight and that's going to work against me. I vowed not to drink whiskey for awhile... last trip to Cozumel almost did me in with the wife.. so I will stay away from that.

If they 6mgs doesn't work, would you suggest trying 9? Or just throw it away and try ZMA?

We usually eat around 6PM, so that might be hindering the 3mg I'm trying now. We'll see tonight. I've also started eating less for dinner. Hopefully that will help too.

Thanks all.

Last edited by Michael Whities : 02-18-2011 at 12:03 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:35 PM   #9
Larry Hotchkiss

Profile:

Not sure what melatonin costs but I pay about $12 for a months worth of scifit ZMA so its realativly inexpensive.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:37 PM   #10
Michael Whities

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hotchkiss View Post
Not sure what melatonin costs but I pay about $12 for a months worth of scifit ZMA so its realativly inexpensive.
I think it was 10.99 for a 30 day supply. 3mg per. I'm on a tight budget, so I hate to waste.