CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 08-21-2010, 08:00 PM   #291
Benjamin R. Greene

Profile:
Re: My Midlife Crisis

I am obviously feeling pretty good after my short layoff for stress. I felt up to doing a fourth workout today. Yes, I know I am like a nervous little hamster running around in his ball all day.

I did ten rounds of 20 seconds of sprinting with forty seconds of rest. I was aiming for fifteen rounds but ten was enough. My outside left upper calf started hurting again and that was that.

My kids kept me company by running with me, so that was pretty cute. A wave of giggles erupted every time my wife said, "Go."
Old 08-22-2010, 06:45 PM   #292
Benjamin R. Greene

Profile:

I don't have to ask if I was exhausted by all the stress of the week or if I worked out hard enough on Friday or Saturday. I have been sleeping constantly all weekend. I am back to the fifteen or more hours of sleep in every twenty-four hour period during the weekend that I usually get when I am hitting the workouts as hard as possible and recovering from world-record levels of stress.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:29 PM   #293
Benjamin R. Greene

Profile:

I felt rested enough to do an upper body workout.

I did pullups with a 20 lb weight vest. 5, 5, 5, 4, 1

Then I tried ring dips with the weight vest and got two. Without the vest I was able to do 7, 6, 5, (Fail).

It's amazing how much a difference only twenty pounds makes. The exercise feels completely different. It just goes to show how much of a handicap a twenty pound beer belly would be.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:50 AM   #294
Benjamin R. Greene

Profile:

My measurements:

Right bicep: 15 1/2 inches

Right thigh: 24 inches

Waist: 37 1/2 inches

Chest: 44 inches

Neck: 17 inches

Weight: 207 lbs. (!)

Even with all the running and metcon workouts I have been doing lately, I have still gained about twelve pounds. Interesting. I believe it has been mostly muscle, though, so I can't complain.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:40 PM   #295
Benjamin R. Greene

Profile:

I tried a recent main site WOD today.

400 meter walking lunge

Wow, this one was just insanely brutal, waaay harder than it sounds. After about 7 minutes and 75 meters, I had to call it quits due to thigh pain.

I will remember this one for future reference.

I bought a roman chair and power rack today to help with my ab conditioning and leg conditioning, respectively. I hope they help greatly to address my weaknesses.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:43 PM   #296
Benjamin R. Greene

Profile:

I put my power rack and roman chair to good use today. Since my legs were hurting from the workout yesterday, I went for a max on the bench press and tied my lifetime max of 245. I am very happy, since I haven't bench pressed at all in months. I failed at a PR bench press attempt of 275.

I then hit the roman chair and did a set of sit ups of 10 reps, followed by about 8 alternating hand offs with a 12 lb medicine ball. I didn't push myself to the max because I am concerned with causing excessive ab muscle damage if I go too hard the first time.

I am going to be easy on my legs since I will be testing them with "The Track Workout" on Saturday or Sunday at the track in Lemoore. I am hoping to get PRs in each distance.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:56 PM   #297
Benjamin R. Greene

Profile:

I am very impressed with the ability of the walking lunges to really affect my legs. Here is an exercise that is bodyweight only, low impact, and slow, yet my legs are sore after only a seven minute workout.

Isn't CrossFit amazing?
Old 08-25-2010, 01:57 PM   #298
Benjamin R. Greene

Profile:

I am really feeling all the intense workouts I have been doing lately. Three times last night my back or neck started to cramp with normal movement. Also, my abs hurt so much it is painful to sneeze. So upper body lifting is definitely a no go tonight.

Having said all that, I am still tempted to hit a workout tonight because I am an anxious little man and I just hate to take a day off. Perhaps a long slow jog will be tolerable. I will try for a new PR in the 5k run.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:11 PM   #299
Bob Guere

Profile:

Bluntness hat ON.

One of these days, Ben, you're going to have to stop letting the urge to workout lead your programming. When I read your thread, it's consistently going back and forth from exhausted/painful to the uncontrollable desire to workout again.

If I were you, I would pick a website, I recommend CrossFit Brand X scaling site, and follow a 2 on, 1 off routine for a while, using someone else's workouts. Get your nutrition and rest in order, and see how much you improve. The gains you see, in my opinion, could be double, and a lot less painful. Too sore to sneeze, or too painful to continue, are not phrases that should be in your notes very often. Scaling is your friend. Intensity is just the gas pedal, remember that. Learn to drive first, and well. Then worry about the gas pedal.

Sorry, had to be a good coach there for a bit Ben.

Bluntness hat OFF
Old 08-25-2010, 07:50 PM   #300
Benjamin R. Greene

Profile:

True. Ok, I will try that. I realize I push myself waaay hard just out of an exercise addiction. My workout log is full of complaining about how sore I am or how hard I am pushing myself. I wonder at times if it is counterproductive.

I don't know if I can slow myself down, but I will give it a shot.

Tonight I used the CoC gripper Trainer for right: 3,1,0 and left: 3, 2, 0