CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 04-21-2010, 11:21 AM   #1
Brent Mattis

Profile:
Metal in shoulder or SLAP injury?

I broke my Scapula, Clavicle, and two ribs mountain biking last summer, it was a tough crash. The canadians fixed it the clavicle with a plate and seven screws. Despite PT it never stopped hurting. I haven't been able to lift seriously since the crash. It has an almost arthritic ache. I saw an ortho in january who shot an x-ray, said it looked great, and that he wouldn't consider surgery until at least a year post-crash. I was paying out of pocket so I didn't get a second opinion.

The first time I broke my collar bone I had IM hagie pin fixation. For whatever reason I had very bad inflammation that didn't subside until I had the metal removed. I thought that maybe I was having a similar reaction to the implant and that maybe surgical removal would cure what ails me. Now I have better insurance, so I saw a world-class ortho. Based on where i'm weak and what hurts he thinks I may have a SLAP tear from the crash.

I got my MRI and x-ray's today, but I have to wait a week to get the diagnosis. The guy is a great ortho (although he seems to believe in the "Dr. House" school of patient care), so I'll likely defer to his judgement on this one. I just worry that I spend 6 months recovering from SLAP surgery, and my shoulder STILL aches.

Anyone else had a ORIF then a SLAP repair?
Old 04-21-2010, 11:50 AM   #2
Frank E Morel

Profile:
Re: Metal in shoulder or SLAP injury?

maybe you had the tear since the original injury?
Old 04-21-2010, 02:35 PM   #3
Brent Mattis

Profile:

won't rule anything out
Old 04-22-2010, 07:19 PM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

Well, that sucks. Keep us updated.

What are you doing nutrition/exercise-wise?

If you aren't taking fish oil out the wazoo for inflammation it may be a good idea (albeit it's blood thinning so be wary).
Old 04-22-2010, 07:37 PM   #5
Brent Mattis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Well, that sucks. Keep us updated.

What are you doing nutrition/exercise-wise?

If you aren't taking fish oil out the wazoo for inflammation it may be a good idea (albeit it's blood thinning so be wary).
Very very little actually.

I started working pretty intensely last fall and so fitness got deprioritized. Then I moved to New York City and diet got deprioritized. I haven't gained any weight, but I'm certainly not at my physical peak.

I bought VFF's and I've started to do a bit of running, but the lack of access to a gym combined with my shoulder injury has really dampened all enthusiasm for "really working out."

Going back on Fish Oil is a strong idea as my shoulder really aches sometimes, seemingly without any provocation.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:15 PM   #6
Steven Low

Profile:

I would strongly suggest eating as anti-inflammatory as possible -- Paleo is a good idea if you aren't already as well

Obviously, fish oil is good too.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:37 AM   #7
Brent Mattis

Profile:

That was unfortunate. I go to the doctor's office and wait an hour to be seen. The good news and bad news was that the x-ray and MRI didn't turn up any gross abnormalities. So, he's probably going to recommend conservative treatment. I call this bad news because the last 9 months have BEEN conservative treatment, and my shoulder still hurts.

Just in case it's a well-hidden non/mal-union (highly unlikely) he sent me out for a CT scan yesterday. Now I've got to wait another two to three weeks just to find out the results of the scan and MAYBE get a referral to, you guessed it, more PT.

So I'm a little bummed. Call me crazy but I just remember how much pain I was in the first time I had a clavicle implant, and how much better I felt after it was removed. This doctor does not really seem pro-hardware removal, in fact if there really was a non-union he threw out the idea of going in removing the plate and screws and installing, you guessed it, TWO plates and screws.

Arg. Next time I leave downhill mountain biking for the whippersnappers.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:45 AM   #8
Brent Mattis

Profile:

I switched to eating about 90% paleo. My shoulder pain went down dramatically...then it came raging back...seemingly without provocation.

I've got an appointment with the ortho to go over the CT scan this afternoon.

What frustrates me is that the pain isn't in my shoulder joint. It's in the clavicle underneath the plate and in the skin over the plate. It feels exactly like the inflammatory pain of the intermedullary pin from the first time I broke my clav. The pain and inflammation went away temporarily when I took an NSAID, but kept coming back until I had the pin removed. Without the pin, the pain started to dissipate immediately. Why wouldn't removing the plate and screws have a similar effect?
Old 05-27-2010, 02:23 PM   #9
Steven Low

Profile:

Your body doesn't like foreign objects it seems. I can see that occurring if you move around a lot because the metal plates don't have bursa or other lubricating surfaces.

Tell us how it goes.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:01 PM   #10
Brent Mattis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Your body doesn't like foreign objects it seems. I can see that occurring if you move around a lot because the metal plates don't have bursa or other lubricating surfaces.

Tell us how it goes.
i saw the doc, he said the union looks great under ct, and the major structures are intact, so he thinks that it's neuropathic pain and he recommended i take gabapentin. Color me skeptical. He said he would remove it if I wanted, but he preferred a conservative approach.

I booked an appointment with a second ortho, but that won't be for two weeks, so for now it's fish oil, paleo, and cursing.