CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-06-2005, 08:31 PM   #1
Tim Johnson

Profile:
Hi all, I'm opening my life to those intererested in rendering an opinion, advice and encouragement.

Thanks

Goal: fat loss and strength gain, specifically single digit body fat

Stats: Male, 38 this month, 6' 3", 203 at start, body fat mid to high teens (mostly around belly), not a big meat fan, this is true since I was a baby. I would eat fruit and bread all day if I could. Love fruit. Play soccer twice weekly (game and a practice) and workout 2-4 times per week (not always Crossfit). Sedentary work - sit in front of computer or long car drives.

diet: Berardi template: target 8-small meals per day, tons more protein than I'm used to. Template diet below, actual attached.

Notes: All protein powder I'm eating is Shaklee soy.

Meal 1:
3 eggs
1oz cheese
2 cups broccoli
6g fish oil

Meal 2:
1 cup plain yogurt
protein powder to taste
cup blueberries
1 apple

Meal 3:
1 serving meat
2 cups mixed green salad + cup strawberries
1 cup raw vegetables
1 cup asparagus
2 cups Green Tea

Meal 4:
Protein shake (20g)
1 oz almonds
1 grapefruit

Meal 5:
Protein shake (20g)
1 oz almonds
1 cup Green Tea

Workout

Meal 6:
Protein shake (30g)

Meal 7:
6oz salmon (I hate fish, so meat)
1 potato or 1 yam
1 cup asparagus
2 cups mixed green salad + cup strawberries
1 cup raw vegetables

Meal 8:
1 cup plain yogurt
Chocolate protein powder to taste
1oz walnuts

response: only got 8 meals on first day, struggle to mix work and meals, after first week I finally got enough veggies in the fridge to carry on, ate pizza twice (planned on pizza once per week as cheat) always feel too full, some gas

successes: carb cravings gone

results 9 days in: gained 3 pounds, no visible fat loss
Attached Files
File Type: email dietx.xls (26.5 KB, 299 views)
Old 08-07-2005, 12:13 PM   #2
Rene Renteria

Profile:
Great to set some goals like that! Given the CrossFit community's embracing of the Zone, I was wondering why you haven't decided to try the Zone. (Unless Berardi's template is like that; I don't know what it is.) Much anecdotal evidence suggests it sends people toward the end points you want. In my case, when I adhered well for a few months, I lost much fat, put on some muscle (with the WOD), and felt pretty good, although I never shook my carb cravings. (That last is probably b/c I was always giving in to them instead of passing through them and beyond, at least according to how I read what others have said about cravings.) The Zone recommends 5 meals per day, which might fit in with your schedule better than 8, too.

CrossFit Journal #21 is really all one needs to start out, and Nicole has been very helpful with deciding on the number of blocks to use for many people here. (Sorry I don't have any real advice about your current plan.)

Good luck!
Rene'
Old 08-07-2005, 12:38 PM   #3
Tim Johnson

Profile:
Thanks Renee.
I tried the Zone a couple of years ago and found it to be OK. Berardi's concepts (PhD and focus in diet and weights) are very similar to the Zone.