CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-05-2009, 09:44 AM   #21
Elizabeth Hall

Profile:
Re: IBS, thinking of mixing up diet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Wheeler View Post
Elizabeth,

If you don't mind me asking, what signs do you show of pre-diabetes? Is this just high blood glucose levels? does your body not produce enough insulin along the lines of a type 1? This would fit the auto-immune bill along with the thyroid issue. Possible damage to the beta cells but not enough so that in manifests as full out diabetes? Totally pulling at straws here,but...like Eric said:
Absolutely, I'm an open book, ask away!

I had an A1C done in June, that was 6.4%. I was told to monitor my BS for a few months and come back for a repeat. Had a repeat in October and my latest A1C was 5.1%. Much better w/o any sort of diet change. Only thing that did change in that time frame was my endo adjusted my thyroid med's. When I had the A1C at 6.4, my TSH was .064 (too low). By the time I had a repeat A1C my TSH was back up to 1.2. I am thinking my TSH being so low made my blood sugar too high. Diabetes does run in my family, my pat. grandfather has type 2, he's not overweight, and my mat. grandmother has type 1, but wasn't dx until she was in her 50's. She's always been thin as a rail. Lately I've been having trouble w/ my BS being too low, for instance right now I'm having a hypogylcemia attack, my BS is 64 I think my Beta cells are all out of whack and over producing insulin right now
Old 12-05-2009, 02:14 PM   #22
Steven Chicoine

Profile:

Probiotics basically cured my IBS over night. I suggest you try them out. And i have had a WIDE range of diet from 100% raw to complete garbage it didn't seem to matter what I ate I had IBS until I found those little pills.

Last edited by Steven Chicoine : 12-05-2009 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Added information
Old 12-05-2009, 02:24 PM   #23
Scott Clark

Profile:

I recommend consulting real doctors, not bloggers or trainers. Funny how Paleo is supposedly based on science yet the more boisterous cheerleaders of Paleo prefer anecdotes over actual science. Excellent.

Also, oats do not contain gluten.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:36 AM   #24
Nick A Wilson

Profile:

Eric, Benjamin thanks. I ordered some of that enyzyme. Will let you know how it works out.

Elizabeth I hope you get some good answers in this thread. My apologies for taking us a little off track here!
Old 12-07-2009, 04:38 AM   #25
Nick A Wilson

Profile:

Scott, in the UK I understand Paleo is classified as a "fad diet". Just FYI.

Having said that, you don't have to be all caveman about it to get some benefit from non-processed foods and wholesome, sensible eating (which is at the heart of strict paleo) im sure...
Old 12-07-2009, 09:36 PM   #26
Benjamin Wheeler

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Hall View Post
Absolutely, I'm an open book, ask away!

I had an A1C done in June, that was 6.4%. I was told to monitor my BS for a few months and come back for a repeat. Had a repeat in October and my latest A1C was 5.1%. Much better w/o any sort of diet change. Only thing that did change in that time frame was my endo adjusted my thyroid med's. When I had the A1C at 6.4, my TSH was .064 (too low). By the time I had a repeat A1C my TSH was back up to 1.2. I am thinking my TSH being so low made my blood sugar too high. Diabetes does run in my family, my pat. grandfather has type 2, he's not overweight, and my mat. grandmother has type 1, but wasn't dx until she was in her 50's. She's always been thin as a rail. Lately I've been having trouble w/ my BS being too low, for instance right now I'm having a hypogylcemia attack, my BS is 64 I think my Beta cells are all out of whack and over producing insulin right now

There is definitely ALOT going on there. I would do my best to get in contact with a could endocrinologist. One that might look at what your eating first and foremost. Also head over to Robb Wolf's blog (WFS) and do some digging around there to get a good idea where the foods should be heading. You could also leave him a comment on his newest post regarding your situation and I am sure he will have some input worth listening too.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:38 AM   #27
Nathan D Stromwasser

Profile:

What do these Enzymes do? I take Accent Probiotic and it doesn't do much for constipation.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:30 PM   #28
Joey Lajoie

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick A Wilson View Post
Scott, in the UK I understand Paleo is classified as a "fad diet". Just FYI.

Having said that, you don't have to be all caveman about it to get some benefit from non-processed foods and wholesome, sensible eating (which is at the heart of strict paleo) im sure...
Just because it hasn't caught on in the UK doesn't make it a "Fad Diet"

Any new health craze could be considered a "Fad" but once you actually give the Paleo lifestyle a chance and begin to experience the health and performance improvements I'm sure anyone would start to see that it's more than a "Fad".
Old 04-11-2010, 09:47 AM   #29
Emily Seabridge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Clark View Post
Also, oats do not contain gluten.
Are you sure about that? I have a few friends with celiac and they have to avoid oats. From what I understand, oats do not produce gluten but commercial (American) farming tends to place wheat and oats physically near each other, so cross contamination occurs.
Old 04-11-2010, 02:21 PM   #30
Elizabeth Hall

Profile:

I forgot I started this thread awhile back! So here's a little update:

I went Paleo in January, also added 5g of Fish Oil a day. I feel great! My bloating and stomach issues have all but disappeared. The only time I have an issue is if I cheat and then I'm reminded why I love Paleo!