CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-15-2009, 03:05 AM   #1
John W. Stockton

Profile:
Recovery Food Needed

This morning I realized that I over did it at the gym yesterday, I did "Diane" yesterday before breakfast then CFE TT 1 mi and 3X400m at before lunch. And before supper I did some technique work which now I think was a bit too much (I was practicing my cleans and back squats w/about 2/3 max 1 rep weight). I thought I should be ok because I have felt good for about 6 weeks with running in the morning and then WODs at night 3/1 work/rest. SO, yesterday I felt like great w/ more than enough energy to do the workouts.

Pretty much for the last month I have been eating around 100g Carbs a day and all the rest in 50/50 protein and fat about 99% Paleo. About 2000 calories a day.

WELL! Today, I woke up (after a night of tossing and turning) to go and do "Annie" and absolutely felt like CRAP, absolute crap.

Needless to say, I think I have or am approaching over training. I decided to take the next two days off but my question is what foods/diet would speed my recovery during these two days?

I have already taken things into my own hands and ate a Lunch of meat flour shell tacos rice corn melon grapes and am sipping a protein shake made w/ whey and whole milk throughout today. I plan on just consuming copious amounts of calories for the next 24 hours. Is this the right thing to do?
Old 09-15-2009, 03:52 AM   #2
John W. Stockton

Profile:
Re: Recovery Food Needed

Oh Yeah, I almost forgot... I also ate TWO! Flintstones this morning...
Old 09-15-2009, 03:45 PM   #3
Nicholas DaSilva

Profile:

Calories, yes, but dont forget that these should be quality foods. Sweet potatoes, Yucca, Bananas...you should be eating COPIOUS amount of these. Yucca in itself is very easy to cook and has alot of recovery properties. Eat it up. Eat protein and fats(the good kind) pre-workout and for postworkout toss the fat out and eat Protein and good carbs such as those I listed.

- Nick
Old 09-15-2009, 05:03 PM   #4
Peter Terry Haas

Profile:

Assuming you are already lean and combined w/ your activity levels, 2000 cals/day w/ 100g carbs ain't gonna cut it. Not even w/ 10 fllintstones.

Glad to see you are going the paleo route. Keep eating a lot of protein, add fruit in and up your carb intake, and drastically increase your fat intake. Shoot for at least 3000 cals/day initially, then start going up (w/ fat) in increments of 500 cals. Once your recovery tops of and you start gaining weight, level off the cals.

Look to consume a quality Paleoish post-workout meal w/in 30 minutes of your workout. Roughly 2:1 starchy carbs: protein. Something like sweet potato/pumpkin combo'd w/ applesauce for the carbs, and vanilla protein powder (I know it's not paleo but it's damn convenient). No fat.

Build in 1 or 2 epic cheat meals during the weak. I mean whole hog, not just like allowing yourself 1 oz of cheese. I mean like pizza buffett or a gallon of breyer's.

CRUSH FISH OIL.

Use how you feel to adjust your intake. Feeling sluggish? EAT MORE.

Good luck and keep training hard.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:50 PM   #5
John W. Stockton

Profile:

I guess I should have mentioned this, I have been operating at a deficit so that I can loose a little belly. I'm was planning on upping the calories soon anyhow because I have reached probably 15-18% BF and feel pretty comfortable operating there... (29/185/71") Anyways, Also, I am in Iraq so I have to dip into the grains if I am going to shoot for any real carbs, I have ZERO access to real veggies and I can only eat so much fruit (I was eating around 10 peices of fruit a day before I adjusted my carbs for the fat loss).
Old 09-15-2009, 08:55 PM   #6
John W. Stockton

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Terry Haas View Post
Assuming you are already lean and combined w/ your activity levels, 2000 cals/day w/ 100g carbs ain't gonna cut it. Not even w/ 10 fllintstones.

Glad to see you are going the paleo route. Keep eating a lot of protein, add fruit in and up your carb intake, and drastically increase your fat intake. Shoot for at least 3000 cals/day initially, then start going up (w/ fat) in increments of 500 cals. Once your recovery tops of and you start gaining weight, level off the cals.

Look to consume a quality Paleoish post-workout meal w/in 30 minutes of your workout. Roughly 2:1 starchy carbs: protein. Something like sweet potato/pumpkin combo'd w/ applesauce for the carbs, and vanilla protein powder (I know it's not paleo but it's damn convenient). No fat.

Build in 1 or 2 epic cheat meals during the weak. I mean whole hog, not just like allowing yourself 1 oz of cheese. I mean like pizza buffett or a gallon of breyer's.

CRUSH FISH OIL.

Use how you feel to adjust your intake. Feeling sluggish? EAT MORE.

Good luck and keep training hard.
I think I may have to put the milk back in my diet (all I have is shelf stable reconstituted though) This should help me recover on the day to day you think?
Old 09-15-2009, 09:13 PM   #7
Ben Moskowitz

Profile:

Try throwing in the milk PWO if it sits well with you.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:27 PM   #8
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

My recovery food of choice often tends to be mexican food. Rice, beans, and meat besides whatever else is on the plate. Nothing like a big mexican burrito. It's about the only time I let myself eat rice and beans anymore.

That, and I drink milk and pop fish oil like sore threat lozenges. I'm actually recovering or fighting some bug now so I'm popping 3-5 caps of fish oil and slugging down 5-10 gulps of milk.

Reconstituted milk is probably better than no milk.

I'm pretty sure it's the fat and carbs with protein that allow for fast recovery. Besides rest and hydrate.

Some sort of stew sounds pretty good as does meat and potatoes. Nothing like pot roast and potatoes at the end of a hard day.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:13 PM   #9
John W. Stockton

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
My recovery food of choice often tends to be mexican food. Rice, beans, and meat besides whatever else is on the plate. Nothing like a big mexican burrito. It's about the only time I let myself eat rice and beans anymore.

That, and I drink milk and pop fish oil like sore threat lozenges. I'm actually recovering or fighting some bug now so I'm popping 3-5 caps of fish oil and slugging down 5-10 gulps of milk.

Reconstituted milk is probably better than no milk.

I'm pretty sure it's the fat and carbs with protein that allow for fast recovery. Besides rest and hydrate.

Some sort of stew sounds pretty good as does meat and potatoes. Nothing like pot roast and potatoes at the end of a hard day.
Ok, I drank at least a half gallon of full cream milk w/ protein powder (6 scoops @ 26g a scoop) yesterday coupled w/ the carbs and clif bars and about a cup of peanut butter. This is in addition to my normal 2000ish calorie day. So I just got back from a light warm up (my version of the xfit warmup) and some stretches. I felt pretty good.

I think instead of water from now on I am going to use the full cream milk and see how that treats me, I usually drink around 1.5 or 2 protein shakes a day anyway but only w/ 2 scoops per...

If this "fixes" it so that i can still CFE and technique at night I will be happy.

Can I still stay away from the fruits(sugars) and perform at this level? I would like to keep loosing fat.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:47 PM   #10
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Dunno, I highly suspect even my 32-48oz of milk a day is curbing my desire to lean out. I figure it's about 6 serving a day which is nearly 100g of carb. It's probably the bulk of my carbs unless I cheat with fruit juice or junk though I'm sure there are some other carbs in there that I'm not counting enough.