CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-11-2009, 09:54 AM   #1
Lisa Smalheiser

Profile:
Multiple WODs a Day

Do you, or anyone you know, do more than one WOD a day? I have seen some people who post their daily workouts, and they have anywhere from 1-4 WODs that they do per day (spread out from the morning to evening).

Is this something that a lot of people do, or do most people just do one WOD and that is it?

Also, do you supplement your WOD's with any other type of activity?

Thanks!
Old 08-11-2009, 10:00 AM   #2
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:
Re: Multiple WODs a Day

Define WOD. I often train several times a day, but you wouldn't consider a single session to be extremely taxing. Also, there are several longer thread's about this, I think Omar Omar started one.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:02 AM   #3
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

What are your goals?

For a new Crossfitter with no goals beyond general fitness, attempting more than one WOD per day would be, IMO, idiotic. But people with specific endurance goals often supplement the WOD with endurance work, people with strength goals add strength work, etc. People who play sports may need to skip WODs on some days because of the demands of their sport.

(Also note that people will log their warmups and/or skill work, too. For a veteran Crossfitter, the situps, pullups, and squats included in the standard warmup aren't demanding enough to count as a separate workout. For a new person, they might be.)

Katherine
Old 08-11-2009, 10:44 AM   #4
James Moran

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
What are your goals?

For a new Crossfitter with no goals beyond general fitness, attempting more than one WOD per day would be, IMO, idiotic. But people with specific endurance goals often supplement the WOD with endurance work, people with strength goals add strength work, etc. People who play sports may need to skip WODs on some days because of the demands of their sport.

(Also note that people will log their warmups and/or skill work, too. For a veteran Crossfitter, the situps, pullups, and squats included in the standard warmup aren't demanding enough to count as a separate workout. For a new person, they might be.)

Katherine
I've done two WOD's in a day, spread out between morning and evening. Typically i do it with a heavy WOD, like 1, 3 or 5 rep maxes and a quick metcon in the evening. For example. yesterday I did the 5RM deadlift wod around 11:30 and then did tabata this around 5:45. I felt good for both WOD's and definately pushed hard on both. (set PR for deadlift and did tabata with a 20# vest).

I don't do it often, maybe once every few weeks if I fall behind the main page and want to make up some of the fun WOD's i miss. I make sure i rest appropriately, drink plenty of water, and eat appropriately in between wod's.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:54 AM   #5
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Moran View Post
I don't do it often, maybe once every few weeks if I fall behind the main page and want to make up some of the fun WOD's i miss. I make sure i rest appropriately, drink plenty of water, and eat appropriately in between wod's.
And that's key as well. Just as football players don't do two-a-day practices all season, there's a difference between doing two WODs every once in a while and piling on the work day after day.

Katherine
Old 08-11-2009, 11:34 AM   #6
Dave Taylor

Profile:

Remember that its not the WOD that increases your fitness level but the recovery from the WOD that improves your fitness. Doing 2 WODs a day is ok and will improve you for a while but sooner or later you will not be able to recover. Look at your goals. There is nothing wrong with a WOD and a skill that way but 2 really hard push WODs donít usually last that long and is a mistake made by some mew Crossfiters. I did it and learned from it too!
Old 08-11-2009, 11:37 AM   #7
Jake Brown

Profile:

Many times I will do a WOD at my affiliate at 6am, then go to the globo at lunchtime and work on random movements or strength work, and then run a few miles when I get home....or some variation of that depending on how I'm feeling. When I'm really wore out I take a day or few off. Since I started doing this I feel the best I have felt in my life.

I started doing this because the high intensity of just doing the WOD started making me feel like I was losing strength and I also noticed that my biggest weakness during the WOD's was my running ineptitude. The hardest part of all of it is getting up at 5am when I don't have to after not getting sleep because we have a newborn

my .02
Old 08-11-2009, 12:43 PM   #8
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Smalheiser View Post
Do you, or anyone you know, do more than one WOD a day? I have seen some people who post their daily workouts, and they have anywhere from 1-4 WODs that they do per day (spread out from the morning to evening).

Is this something that a lot of people do, or do most people just do one WOD and that is it?

Also, do you supplement your WOD's with any other type of activity?

Thanks!
If you have the time and energy, go for it. You have to make sure you have a good feeling for intensity though, ie. you know when you are overtraining/exhausted. If you have a good feel for that, then go ahead, do 3 workouts on some day, and then rest the next day. If that's something you want/have the time to do, why not. Sure beats watching TV.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:08 PM   #9
Brian Adams

Profile:

I'm fairly new to CF, 2 months now, and I did 2 WODs yesterday for the first time. I made up the Tabata at lunch and the 4x800m run after work. I slept like a baby last night and woke up feeling like a grampa. Sore as can be inside and out from head to toe. If you are pushing yourself to your limits during the WODs I wouldn't recommended more than 1 per day unless you are in extremely good shape.

edit. there's nothing wrong with being a grampa I just remembered I am one haha (I'm 30 years old...) point was I was feeling beat down

Last edited by Brian Adams : 08-11-2009 at 01:11 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:10 PM   #10
Leonid Soubbotine

Profile:

I only do that when the competition gets closer. Like the Southeast challenge over a year ago, or the Qualifiers for the Games this year. Helps a lot, but I think you can only do it for so long before breaking down.