CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 12-10-2008, 02:06 PM   #11
Nancy Cohen

Profile:
Re: Your weird habits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Gotcher View Post
I almost always stand with my legs crossed over each other or leaning slightly to one side.
Are you, or have you ever been, a competitive swimmer? A friend once told me that she could tell I was a swimmer, due to the way I stand (either legs crossed, or weight on one leg while the other stretches out to the side and trips people who don't expect my body parts to be extending that far into their space).
Old 12-10-2008, 02:19 PM   #12
Justin Algera

Profile:

When ever I am doing anything that requires the least bit of concentration, I stick my tounge out ala Michael Jordan... Usually not an issue except I do it when lifting as well, which isnt the best idea.

I also have a compulsion to group things in 3s. Ill count something for example, and if it doesnt come out to perfect groups of 3, sometime I will keep adding stuff until it works out. Yeah I know I need meds, but thats the least of my problems!
Old 12-10-2008, 02:29 PM   #13
Frank Dennis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Algera View Post
I also have a compulsion to group things in 3s. Ill count something for example, and if it doesnt come out to perfect groups of 3, sometime I will keep adding stuff until it works out. Yeah I know I need meds, but thats the least of my problems!

OK, I didn't mention this one 'cause I already have talked about my OCD and was afraid people would think I was weird if I banged on about it.

I do the same thing, only I group things in even numbers. Text on signs, objects in a room, doesn't matter. If I have nothing else to occupy my time I'll start counting up stuff in the world around me and seeing if it comes out even.

And yes, if it doesn't, I start adding stuff (like counting patches of different colors on a sign background, or borderlines), until it comes out right.

I used to do this ALL the time, couldn't help it, but now I only do it if I'm really bored, like in a doctor's waiting room with a bunch of three month old Better Homes & Gardens and daytime telly on closed-caption. I guess I'm doing enough other stuff with my time that this compulsion sort of eased off...

Cheers,
FD

Last edited by Frank Dennis : 12-10-2008 at 02:34 PM.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:31 PM   #14
Patrick Janes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Cohen View Post
I am constantly humming and don't usually realize it until husband tells me to stop. And when I wake up in the middle of the night, I'm often humming a tune as well. My dad used to constantly whistle and it would drive me crazy, so I feel sorry for my husband, having to put up with this.
I do this, but with singing, not humming. I sing ALL the time, and most often without concious thought. I also have a habit of hearing words or phrases and singing a related song... do it all the time; it drives my kids nuts, as does my singing in public, but that's just greater incentive to continue.

I also have the occasional, rather odd, habit of falling asleep with one arm stuck up straight in the air. it used to bug the @#%@ out of my ex-wife when 10-15 mins later, it'd fall down, usually on top of her.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:06 PM   #15
Nancy Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Janes View Post
I do this, but with singing, not humming. I sing ALL the time, and most often without concious thought. I also have a habit of hearing words or phrases and singing a related song... do it all the time; it drives my kids nuts, as does my singing in public, but that's just greater incentive to continue.
It's tough, being so musical
Old 12-10-2008, 06:34 PM   #16
Justin Algera

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Dennis View Post
OK, I didn't mention this one 'cause I already have talked about my OCD and was afraid people would think I was weird if I banged on about it.

I do the same thing, only I group things in even numbers. Text on signs, objects in a room, doesn't matter. If I have nothing else to occupy my time I'll start counting up stuff in the world around me and seeing if it comes out even.

And yes, if it doesn't, I start adding stuff (like counting patches of different colors on a sign background, or borderlines), until it comes out right.

I used to do this ALL the time, couldn't help it, but now I only do it if I'm really bored, like in a doctor's waiting room with a bunch of three month old Better Homes & Gardens and daytime telly on closed-caption. I guess I'm doing enough other stuff with my time that this compulsion sort of eased off...

Cheers,
FD
sounds exactly like me... Im not alone
Old 12-10-2008, 06:47 PM   #17
Danielle Benford

Profile:

When driving my truck under a low clearance, I tend to hunch down as though it is going to affect the overall height of the truck.

I can't let people watch me while I'm brushing my teeth. I don't know why, but it bothers me.

I have my closet organized by type of clothing (pants, shirts, etc), then separated by color, and in order by length.

I KNOW I have a lot more than this... but that's all that comes to mind now. Good thread topic!
Old 12-10-2008, 07:25 PM   #18
Frank Dennis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Algera View Post
sounds exactly like me... Im not alone
Likewise, dude. It was great reading your post, I was like "I'm not uniquely weird!"

There are probably whacking great lumps of human experience which don't have names or get discussed because people think they're the only ones who have that habit or trait. Maybe we can come up with some names for things in this thread, ala The Meaning of Liff... http://folk.uio.no/alied/TMoL.html (mostly wfs - if you actually read through it there might be some things you don't want your 9 year old to read).
Old 12-10-2008, 09:38 PM   #19
Alix Clark

Profile:

I count a lot too. Mainly my steps when I'm walking. In a WOD or doing something for time I'm always mentally breaking the time or reps down into percentages.

Counting really calms me down.

I also can't stand it if people put milk into a cup of tea while the tea bag is still in there. How disgusting!!!!
Old 12-10-2008, 11:23 PM   #20
Carter Jee

Profile:

hmm...

1) everything on my desk has it's place... and has to be arranged that way..... i even started to clean the desk of my colleague next to me without thinking.

2) i can't stand leaving papers or files on my desk... it either goes in my in tray or in my file.

3) i eat my evening meal in the following manner. half the veg, half the meat, half a glass of water, finish the veg, finish the meat, finish the water, handful of nuts (also eaten in a certain order - walnuts, almonds, macadamias).