CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 11-06-2007, 06:14 AM   #1
David Muryn

Profile:
Can massage make you ill

hello - last night I had a 90 minute massage, I had many active trigger points all over my body, particularly in the shoulders that were worked on quite hard. About 3-4 hours later I began feeling very ill..symptoms include, headache, nausea, my whole body aches from my feet to my finger tips. I have not slept all night.

I havent had a massage in about 4 months and have never had one for that long, with that many trigger points. I felt fine prior to the massage and completed the WOD about 4 ours before.

My question is could this ill feeling and pain be from the massage, could there be that many toxins released. I feel like I have the flu. Any recommendations to ease the pain and nausea.

THanks all
David Muryn
Old 11-06-2007, 12:59 PM   #2
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:
Re: Can massage make you ill

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Muryn View Post
hello - last night I had a 90 minute massage, I had many active trigger points all over my body, particularly in the shoulders that were worked on quite hard. About 3-4 hours later I began feeling very ill..symptoms include, headache, nausea, my whole body aches from my feet to my finger tips. I have not slept all night.

I havent had a massage in about 4 months and have never had one for that long, with that many trigger points. I felt fine prior to the massage and completed the WOD about 4 ours before.

My question is could this ill feeling and pain be from the massage, could there be that many toxins released. I feel like I have the flu. Any recommendations to ease the pain and nausea.

THanks all
David Muryn
Please make sure to drink a LOT of water. Is your urine normal colored?

If you have been working out really, really hard, and you were very sore going in to the massage, and the massage was vigorous, you may be suffering a severe case of delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS). If your kidneys can't clear the by-products of muscle breakdown, you can develop rhabdo.

Assuming your urine is clear and your muscles aren't swelling to the point of entrapment, just REST and drink a lot of water. Can't hurt to use a little salt in your food, either. Orange juice is good for potassium.

Susie
Old 11-06-2007, 01:04 PM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:

Definitely toxins. Drink TONS of water.

I doubt rhabdo unless you were exercising well beyond your limits (which it doesn't seem like you were).
Old 11-06-2007, 02:19 PM   #4
David Muryn

Profile:

Thanks for the response, I am still extremely sore and have a headache however urine is normal. The nausea has subsided somewhat. Its really crazy how much this hurts, my masage therapist said I should go at least monthly with the "knots" that I have??

I have been trying to drink water all day so hopefully this symptoms subside within a couple of days.

Is this normal?
Old 11-06-2007, 03:56 PM   #5
Adam Kayce

Profile:

There's a pretty big range of "normal" out there...

Speaking as an ex-MT, Susie's advice is solid; keep the fluids up, add a pinch of salt in your water to help balance the minerals, and keep your body moving (it helps with lymph drainage).
Old 11-06-2007, 05:48 PM   #6
Scott Mahn

Profile:

There is the concept of a "healing crisis," which is basically a reaction to the toxins as the exit the body.

Anyone who's done some fasting knows how awful they feel the first few days as the toxins are being released, then comes a feeling of euphoria when the body is clean.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:52 AM   #7
Cal Jones

Profile:

Some people are more susceptible to massage than others. Have you had massages before with no ill effect?
I had reflexology once and was warned it would make me woozy, but it had no effect at all. I used to get very vigorous sports massages, though, and my massage therapist told me I was one of those people who only responded to brute force (in so many words, anyway).
I guess if you're more sensitive then massage can have all sorts of after effects. I hope the headache has gone.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:14 PM   #8
David Muryn

Profile:

I have had massages before but never that intense for that long. The side effects were minimal, just soreness mostly and light headedness for about 10-20 minutes after.

The headaches have subsided and I am feeling much better today, still a little weak, but better nonetheless. I am regaining my appetite as well. Next time I get a massage i will have t obetter prepare, drink tons of water before and after, and get them more often so the side effects arent so harsh.

thanks all
Old 11-07-2007, 11:00 PM   #9
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

David, part of this is due to getting the lymphatic fluids released throughout the system instead of just building up in their " storage " areas. I know a few masseuse who have reported this on themselves or clients.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:11 PM   #10
Jason Carriveau

Profile:

Maybe you caught something previously and the massage was a coincidence in timing, you were relaxed and it brought on the symptoms, just a thought.