CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 06-30-2006, 05:28 PM   #11
Adrian Bozman

Profile:
I think the leg abduction machine is probably the secret to his success...
Old 07-01-2006, 07:25 AM   #12
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
David, most athletes get to where they are despite their improper training. Genetics, youth, desire, and SPP, make up for GPP training errors. The question is what kind of monster could he be with the correct GPP program? Much more time to train SPP and recover, greater power output, etc.
Old 07-01-2006, 10:21 AM   #13
Greg Varga

Profile:
Great point, Larry.

Now how many objective data points do we have on CrossPit MMA converts, i.e.: BJ, Chuck, and others? Can we then isolate the variables and empirically compare their records pre-CF versus records post-CF? Any other objective indicators besides win/loss/draw?

Sounds theoretical and difficult outside of an obvious "turn-around" swan story (which even then will be subject to nay-sayers). Thoughts?
Old 07-01-2006, 12:03 PM   #14
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Science ain't going to work, and this comes from a former graduate assistant, who worked in a human performance lab. Just too many variables. But let's just analyze the attributes needed by a MMA fighter and see what program develops those attributes most efficiently. Straight up, I have an issue with any machine based program. Now look at the exercise selection...horrible (1/4 range reps, isolation exercises, curls for god's sake!). Additionally any workout you could do for an hour, is not going to optimize preparation for a fight with rounds of 3-5 minutes. His whole program makes no sense for what he is training for (I'll go as far to say his program makes no sense, for any athletic conditioning). The problem is most fighters programs suck. Fighting is so skill and toughness based that excellent fighters win, despite horrible conditioning programs...then those conditioning programs are "validated" by the win. Lot's of bad conditioning programs are offset by training rounds in sparring and rounds on the heavy, top and bottom, and speed bags; this SPP is vital and provides conditioning. If this guy shifted his program to a Olympic Weightlifting program alone he would be 100x better off.
Old 07-01-2006, 07:35 PM   #15
Charlie Jackson

Profile:
Fighting is so skill and toughness based

That's why he does a tough hour long circuit. He wouldn't be 100x better off with an Olympic Weightlifting program. Strength and fitness isn't his weak point. He's doing something that builds the type of endurance he needs to fight.

There are a lot of ways to get in shape. It doesn't all have to be swinging a kettlebell and eating like a caveman. I'm not saying that Crossfit wouldn't be an improvement on what he is doing but what he is doing is an effective way to get fit. It isn't the best but it is effective.

To get fit all you have to do is work out hard, recover, and repeat.
Old 07-02-2006, 06:33 AM   #16
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Charlie, your wrong. Do you really think an hour long circuit "builds the type of endurance he needs to fight"? You really need to re-read (read) the CFJ: "What is Fitness". His current workout does nothing to build power, there is no anaerobic component to an hour long workout. To be fair, that may be only one workout but the reliance on machines is distressing. Charlie, have you ever Olympic Weightlifted? 100X better is a light estimate. Really Charlie, re-read "What is Fitness" and tell me how that workout is effective in any way!
Old 07-02-2006, 08:23 PM   #17
Emil Berengut

Profile:
don't forget, many of the people he fights alos train that way. thus, all things conditioning wise will be equal. in fact, he is probably more dilligent about whatever condtioning he is doing than many others. furthermore, fighters are pretty consrvative about "what works". Just listen to Bas, he used eat the same exact thing prior to fights and his conditioning was very much the same. his philosophy was, "it works, why should I change it?" the thing is that although Rich's routine was filled with machines and isolations, he probably more than makes up for it when he spars or drills. and, I don't think it's counterproductive, it's just not as effective as it should be.
Old 07-02-2006, 08:33 PM   #18
Dustin Lebel

Profile:  
I think the circuit shown was somewhat "made for tv". I've read interviews in the past where franklin mentions doing heavy squats, deadlifts, and presses and not doing any machine work.