CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 06-21-2006, 09:42 PM   #1
Nicholas Richard Engen

Profile:
I had my first Judo class this Tuesday. I have the class Tuesday and Thursday nights from 7:30 to 9:30 it went pretty well but I left the class not feeling very comfortable with the few falls and throws I was shown. I have never been naturally gifted at any sport the only way I have gotten better at anything is by practicing for hours and putting in a lot of hard work and I know Judo will be the same. Two hours two nights a week just doesn’t seem like enough for me. So I was wondering if there was anyway I could practice the techniques outside of class. I am not taking the class with any friends or family and was wondering if there were ways to practice by myself. This might be a stupid question maybe four hours a week is plenty of time but I would appreciate any comments or help.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:35 PM   #2
Gary Turner

Profile:
Hi!

A popular way of training the throws is to get a bicylcle inner tube, cut it in half, and wrap it/nail it to a post or tree.

Hold one end in each hand, and turn in and out building up rythm and speed, pulling and pushing as you would an opponent for uchi komi.

It gives a great opportunity for your footwork and hand position to improve in the shortest possible time without an opponent.

I'm like you, needing to practice loads for the improvement, and it worked a treat for me.

Hope this helps!

Smiler
Old 06-22-2006, 08:40 PM   #3
Mark Dowst

Profile:
I have seen clips of Fedor of doing the exact same exercise with bands. Rhadi Feguson's MMA and nogi grappling strength and conditioning videos also include that in thier circuts. (Rhadi Ferguson was a Judo olympic medal winner.)
Old 06-23-2006, 05:02 AM   #4
Bill Ripley

Profile:
Yup, uchi komi with bands and also with a belt tied around a heavy bag. Focus on kusushi, proper foot placement and getting low.