CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 06-09-2006, 08:40 PM   #11
Jerimiah Childress

Profile:
I agree with muay thai, but how about jeet kune do, aikido, silat and lua
Old 06-09-2006, 08:59 PM   #12
David Luu

Profile:
this is a great idea for a crossfit live show. i am looking forward to it. since i'm not totally familiar w/ crosspit, i'm assuming that you are looking at the subject of martial arts and crossfit.

although i'm relatively new to the crossfit world, i have been in the martial art world for awhile, and all i can say is good luck getting it all straight. the martial art subculture is a wide and varied community w/ very opinionated members. a few other 'arts' you might consider representing that are within the genre listed above are bruce lee's jeet kune do, the keysi fighting method (KFM) in the UK, russian systema, and traditional judo.

really the problem is that on top of the multitude of traditional martial arts out there such as afro-brazilian capoeira, french savate, russian sambo, and chinese soft style tai chi chuan; there are literally dozens of new 'arts' that have been 'invented' by both legitimate and frauduent 'experts' (think Rexkwondo) in the past few decades. imho, i don't think it is even possible to do a show on how just the major martial arts could contribute to or could benefit from crossfit. there are just too many topics to consider, so i would not even worry about it. rather, i would most appreciate a show that only focused on a few of the afore mentioned styles but addressed those topics in an indepth way. for instance, i would love a detailed compare, contrast, and how to integrate a traditional BJJ warmup/workout vs. a crossfit workout by a master level BJJ practitioner.

all that being said, i would also would not mind some time being given to some of the more traditional martial arts that are not ususal associated w/ crossfitters. it's just that it seems to me that crossfitters lean toward the more extreme styles and less toward the karate/tae kwon do world of point fighting and forms. alot more people have exposure to these arts (i blame the karate kid), and crossfit would definately be beneficial in those communities. plus it is much more likely that kids would be allowed to take part in a karate class as opposed to a full contact MMA match.

take care and good luck
Old 06-10-2006, 12:57 AM   #13
Craig Uchimura

Profile:
Jamila, some things/people that may worth checking out in regards to the Pit Master are:

Sijo Adriano Emperado- Kajukenbo

the late Prof. Walter L.N. Godin
Old 06-11-2006, 07:06 PM   #14
Rafael Mattei

Profile:
Jamila, Jeet Kune Do. What Bruce Lee did to the Martial Arts World is very similar to what Coach is doing to the Fitness World.

(Message edited by rms on June 11, 2006)
Old 06-12-2006, 04:57 AM   #15
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Jamila, would you know anything about what Rafael said? And what about this crazy stick fighting thing?
Old 06-12-2006, 04:05 PM   #16
Tom Brose

Profile:
Larry L, and Matt Nielson shold represent. Also, Matt thorton is really conceptually linked to CrossFit, and I believe Robb Wolf has a connection to him.

For me, i would like to hear more of the actuall implementation of CrossPit. So mucch of the talk is 'crossFit is perfect for MA, figters should do CF etc, etc." We dont really opten get into actuall training set up, drills etc. I would love to hear more about what people are actually doing with fighers and themselves than hear a bunch of background on the people doing it.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:32 PM   #17
Peter Kelly

Profile:
Jamila,

I would like to second Tom's idea of focusing on implementation.

There is tons of debate in the various MA forums over what discipline is better than the others, so I would lke to suggest that it may be easier to research if you looked at competitive fighting vs. self-defense fighting due to the multiple disciplines/styles that you're trying to sort out. For example, a competitive MMA fighter's training would be significantly different from a Krav Maga practitioner. I would like to know what the differences are.

I believe that this may work around the "my style is great and all others are crap" discussion and the audience may glean some true nuggets that may help them in achieving their own goals irrespective of it's source.

Naturally any guests on the show will have to provide their bona fides, but their discipline/style is relatively insignificant to how they apply and adapt the Crossfit methodology.
Old 06-13-2006, 04:13 AM   #18
Jamila Bey

Profile:
Great advice folks- thanks!

And Larry, please do expect a call from me- not about the show, but I keep hitting myself during the heaven six...

Good stuff all around!
Old 06-18-2006, 10:31 AM   #19
John Hackleman

Profile:
I am here for all CrossFiters...
Old 06-20-2006, 04:48 PM   #20
Anthony Cecil

Profile:

I am a little late in this thread but I would say that you have material for a couple of shows. My top picks:
1. The Pit Approach to Training
2. Differences between CF and MMA training
3. Matt Thornton + Straight Blast Gym
4. Anything else specific (BJJ, Krav, Kali, etc.)

Just to push the SBG guys, they have a very CF approach to training. Testing (in the scientific sense) is a big part of their approach to functional martial arts. If you can't test it, how do you know it works?