CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-20-2007, 01:40 AM   #1
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
My friend and his gf just joined 24HR for mere convenience and work discount and said he is going to get some guest passes and wants me to show him some basics to get back into. His intro trainer wants him to do 1hr of weights and 30 minutes of cardio 4 days a week and we talked about that. He is vaguely familiar with crossfit but not very interested in the intensity rather just getting into losing some weight and strengthening his knees and getting rid of shoulder pain. OTOH, he has naturally always been flexible in his hips, back and shoulders, which is something since he is 6 foot and probably around 240 or 250. I'm thinking 20-25 body fat but with some level of strength, especially in his legs and in general. Just the gut from being lazy.

I'm wondering what exactly 24HR will allow. I'm thinking no cleans or anything overhead. We talked a little bit about machines and why not, though I think he should work on the gravitron for pullups and dips. We talked about compound exercises vs isolation especially in relation to what we train which requires using the whole body in unison.

I'm thinking DB bench, back squat, lunges, and it would be great if he could do standing military presses or push press. They probably have rowers and he seems to enjoy the elliptical. I've played around with swiss balls but don't think much of them for myself overall.

Thoughts, ideas? Especially any regarding standard regulations at 24HR regarding free weights.

Thanks, all.

On another note, while I have long wished he would get into gymnastics ( since he liked to tumble around when he was younger and still a bit ), we went once and it destroyed him for about a month doing just basic swinging on events. Though, I did teach and spot him on a back handspring! ( in which he is about a foot taller and 80 pounds more or so ).
Old 05-20-2007, 07:36 AM   #2
Timothy Spradling

Profile:
I've had 24hr fitness membership for quite awhile. You shouldn't have a problem doing cleans or presses, i do them a lot; albeit in a non-crossfit capacity! They frown on dropping stuff the weights too much.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:17 AM   #3
John Seiler

Profile:
Blair, you act like you have to apologize that your friends are at 24 Hour Fitness. You might be surprised what your friend will be allowed to do. Take a look around the gym. Are there bumper plates? If not, you won't be allowed to drop the weights. Other than that, think like a sensible person and ask yourself, is there anything I would have my friend do that is incongruous with the globo-gym business model. If not, you're probably good to go.

Sure, CrossFitters are going to run into some knucklehead gym managers. That's more a reflection that some PEOPLE are knuckleheads. Not much you can do about that other than take your business elsewhere. If he runs into problems with his contract he should raise a little hell. "You have free weights in this gym, correct? The movements that I'm doing are staples of athletic training. They are consistent with the purpose and design of your equipment, and I am using them in an appropriate manner. If you won't allow me to use them in the way they are designed to be used, I expect to be let out of my contract and will go as far up the 24 Hour chain and make as much noise as I have to be let out of my contract." It helps that he is part of corporate fitness partnership. Whoever runs the place is less likely not to let people like that out of disputed contract lest it upset the cart with that company.

(Message edited by John Seiler on May 20, 2007)
Old 05-20-2007, 10:23 AM   #4
John Seiler

Profile:
One other thing: Almost every commercial gym that has Personal Trainers has rules against bringing your own trainer in; even if it's just a friend. Plan on working out WITH your friend on those days. If you give the appearance that you are training him, you'll likely be asked to leave. If you give the appearance that you are working out with your buddy and showing him a few things along the way, you'll probably be okay.
Old 05-20-2007, 12:03 PM   #5
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Thanks, John. I figured if it seems like I'm training him more than working out I could catch hell. It has been years since I worked out at California Family and Fit and all I remember is doing elliptical, back squats, dips, pullups, and that's about it. I'm sure I did more, but I don't really remember. I don't remember rules, though I never dropped any weights or remember catching any hell.
Some months ago I turned down a 24HR apprenticeship personal trainer position when the manager and I didn't really see eye to eye. He didn't seem to like what I did to workout besides the BS it is to be a trainer there ( I was surprised to find out his top producer was only pulling about 4k gross a month in PT which didn't amount a lot takehome. )
Old 05-20-2007, 07:32 PM   #6
Laura Rucker

Profile:
Blaire, check out the First Fives workouts that Jeff and Mikki Martin use at Brand X for beginners. The lifts they teach first are Deadlift, Push Press, KB swings, Sumo DL Highpull. Also (air) Squats and Pull ups are intregral to the introduction of CrossFit priniciples!

http://forum.brandxmartialarts.com/viewtopic.php?t=2029

Link is work/family safe.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:07 PM   #7
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
I forgot about the DL. I wonder if those will be allowed due to putting weight on the floor and swinging a KB or DB in the gym ( or going to just above parallel ). I forgot about thrusters but we did talk about them in the benefit of compound movements vs isolated movements.
According to the guest pass nomenclature there is supposed to be a tour first possibly. There is a local 24HR ( the one I turned down ), that I should go ask for a tour at and ask about those exercises and movements. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure are schedules will not allow me to work out with him much as are schedules are nearly opposite.

(Message edited by blairbob on May 20, 2007)
Old 05-21-2007, 08:49 AM   #8
Franklin Shogie

Profile:
what John and Timothy have stated is true.

Deads, cleans and overhead lifts, depending on the gym, may be discouraged. The corporate policy is that these exercises are dangerous. Machines are considered safer.

On the other hand, if a gym rat (GR) shows good form on the exercises and appears to know what he is doing the GR will be left alone. I have done deads, cleans, OHS, and snatches with no problem at the 24Hr globo gym. I don't drop the weights, though.

The probability of finding C2 rowers in a 24 Fitless facility is slim.

One can train in a 24 fitless gym in a Crossfit way. It does require some adjustments if one is planning on doing the WOD.

You are NOT training someone in their gym; you are working out with your training partners.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:00 AM   #9
Dennis Barrett

Profile:
Don't walk in with a truck tire and a ten lb. sledge hammer over your shoulder.