CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 10-22-2013, 12:38 PM   #11
Jim Wojciehowski

Profile:
Re: Rhabdo

I checked on the kid. 8 days inpatient stay for aggresive IV fluids.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$
Old 10-22-2013, 02:22 PM   #12
Mike Donalds

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Kemper View Post
Wow, Crossfit is not the only source of rhabdo???? I'm shocked.

Sorry for the sarcasm.
The source of rhabdo stems from allowing anyone with a valid credit card and NO PRIOR EXPERIENCE in health/fitness/health sciences/etc to open their own gym and start training people under the corporate guise of expert knowledge. Any scenario where you have newbies taking fitness advice from someone who has no idea wtf they're doing is a recipe for disaster.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:30 PM   #13
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Donalds View Post
The source of rhabdo stems from allowing anyone with a valid credit card and NO PRIOR EXPERIENCE in health/fitness/health sciences/etc to open their own gym and start training people under the corporate guise of expert knowledge. Any scenario where you have newbies taking fitness advice from someone who has no idea wtf they're doing is a recipe for disaster.
I know guys who have degrees and work for a hospital and have themselves rhabdo as well as the people who did the workout with them...

This wasn't untrained, inexperienced individuals.

It was bad programming and trying something different.

What was sad is I as a lvl1 cert guy knew what they had the next day when my wife told me about it... Their lvls were 10k+... Nothing like an extended stay in the hospital...

Rhabdo can be experienced by anyone. It will sneak up on you if you are not prepared. Us cross fitters with our mentality to push through the pain and do any WOD we are told to do, risk it because we fail to use out brain.

A good box teaches its members (new and old) about rhabdo and educates them on how to avoid it. In the end it falls on each individual to do their part to look, listen and think about what they are doing.

Yes I hope we have good people programming. Yes I hope they are using their brain and doing their members right. If they do not, and they fail to teach their members correct training, then it's a fail on their part.

That said I've seen individuals get rhabdo where others did not from the same workout. Different levels of fitness as well as work done caused this. Again failure on part of experienced guys to know when to much was too much
Old 10-24-2013, 07:18 AM   #14
Jason Newland

Profile:

Anyone else hear about how Junior Dos Santos, a UFC fighter, almost died from rhabdo recently? It happens all over the place - it just doesn't get as much attention there as it does with CF.

(wfs)
http://www.mmamania.com/2013/5/23/43...domyolysis-mma
Old 01-22-2014, 06:46 PM   #15
Robert Pierce

Profile:

Both of my sons have had rhabdo.

Oldest called me with Coke-colored urine after doing 150 jump squat WOD. 4 days in the hospital, full recovery. OK.

Middle child is college soccer player. Came home from Christmas break. Going to the Y, doing usual workouts. One day complained that he wasn't feeling that good. Tired, sleeping a lot. So my wife (also a physician) orders some labs and his liver functions are up. We order the usual hepatitis workup, ultrasound, all negative. Then it hit me, what about rhabdo? Sure enough, CK 10x the upper limit of normal. Mild case of rhabdo. No hospitalization, oral rehydration, normal urine, full recovery.

This has convinced me that if you define rhabdo as CK levels 5x the upper limit of normal, that this is far more common than we ever realized.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:30 PM   #16
Stanley Walter

Profile:

Any information on what kind of workouts your son was doing prior to the 150 jump squat WOD?

I know a single workout can be brutal, but I have always figured rhabdo is an accumulation of brutal workouts + not enough rest + crappy recovery + crappy food over time and it breaks your body down.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:31 AM   #17
Robert Pierce

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley Walter View Post
Any information on what kind of workouts your son was doing prior to the 150 jump squat WOD?

I know a single workout can be brutal, but I have always figured rhabdo is an accumulation of brutal workouts + not enough rest + crappy recovery + crappy food over time and it breaks your body down.
Long history of Crossfit style workouts, but he had stopped for few months and just started back...which is pretty typical story.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:51 AM   #18
Price Goosby

Profile:

Glad to hear he's doing well.

They came out with an article demonizing Tough Mudder a couple months ago because a few cases showed up which as someone who's actually ran them set me off. Rhabdo is in my experience a result of bad decisions by the person suffering from it, you went a bit too hard, or didn't take that water break when you really should have, or went head first into something you were not at all physically prepared to handle. I try to encourage my friends who after years of going to the bar every other night are now trying to get in shape that they need to make sure they don't try something beyond their physical ability just because it seems fun or they could really mess themselves up.
Old 04-26-2014, 02:54 AM   #19
Bob Herald

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Pierce View Post
Both of my sons have had rhabdo.

Oldest called me with Coke-colored urine after doing 150 jump squat WOD. 4 days in the hospital, full recovery. OK.

Middle child is college soccer player. Came home from Christmas break. Going to the Y, doing usual workouts. One day complained that he wasn't feeling that good. Tired, sleeping a lot. So my wife (also a physician) orders some labs and his liver functions are up. We order the usual hepatitis workup, ultrasound, all negative. Then it hit me, what about rhabdo? Sure enough, CK 10x the upper limit of normal. Mild case of rhabdo. No hospitalization, oral rehydration, normal urine, full recovery.

This has convinced me that if you define rhabdo as CK levels 5x the upper limit of normal, that this is far more common than we ever realized.
What was the liver value?
I recently went to my doc for routine bloodwork and my liver value was slightly elevated. The day prior I had a heavy dead and squat day. The doc thought it was the three beer a weekend I have. Lol.

I feel like athletes may be constantly in a mild form of rhabdo. Weight training tears down muscle and if you're training 3+ days a week ....

I've battled with foring myself to take it easier and rest more. I never lift 2 days in a row now. Always 1 day on, 1 day off. Of coarse I also wrestle and do jiujitsu every day.