CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-24-2013, 04:18 PM   #1
Brent Mattis

Profile:
Re-Introductions

Hi, my name is Brent Mattis. I used to post on this forum a fair amount back in 2009, when I joined Crossfit West Palm Beach. Then I left CF WPB to do a cycle of Starting Strength. Worked pretty well until I crashed downhill MTB in 2009, which really messed up my left shoulder. Anyway flash forward to 2013. My shoulder was finally pain free, and I had time to focus on lifting again. It'd been a long time so I started seeing a coach over at Crossfit Virtuosity to re-learn the 5 main lifts for SS. Since I started lifting again, I made major gains in my Deadlift, and Power Clean. My bench, press, and squat had issues.

Squatting to parallel with my hip and ankle flexibility was no go, unless I adopted a very very wide stance, which induces it's own "hip issues."

Bench Press, I stalled relatively quickly, and got the first pangs of pain from poor form.

Press, I also stalled and started to experience low back pain. Main issue is my shoulder ROM is weak, so to reach the locked out position I need to hyperextend my back, which is obviously not good.

Working with my coach, he did a great job of diagnosing the issues and showing me exactly what I was doing wrong. He introduced me to some of Kelly Starrett's mobility exercises and recommended I buy Supple Leopard. I picked it up, the thing is like an instruction manual on how to use the human body. I've started reading the thing cover to cover, but my question for the veterans on here:

Which Mobility exercises would you integrate first to increase my shoulder ROM, Hip ROM, and Ankle ROM's?

Also, I'm seeing a Crossfit Certified ART practitioner on Monday to see if we can improve some dysfunctions.

Thanks,
Brent

PS: I started using Withings, Fitocracy(WFS), and Runkeeper to track my progress. They are great.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:18 PM   #2
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Re: Re-Introductions

Dang, another young guy all ****ed up.

Hard to say without knowing your exact hip, ankle, shoulder ROM problems.

Just went through the last chapter. If you've watched a lot of MWOD, you see the same stretches just done different ways. Add a ball or two balls or a band or plate or twist or elevate. But basically there are core stretches with a whole bunch of different deviations.

Just explore them. I probably should do a lot more of them.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:32 AM   #3
Brent Mattis

Profile:
Re: Re-Introductions

I didn't see the 'free' videos on mobilitywod until now, will check them out.

Thanks,
Brent