CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-09-2013, 10:37 AM   #11
Jeff Enge

Profile:
Re: What's the minimum time a sports skill needs to be performed?

If you want to do stuff, just do it. Why does it have to be programmed out?

Sports = games. The whole point of games is to be fun. If you treat it like you're drilling out all these different sports skills, what's really the fun in that?

Get some friends, start a pickup basketball game, or improptu soccer or softball game. I used to be terrible at basketball and just got better playing pickup games once a week at the Y before my membership ran out (now that's something I'd like to pick up again if I could find people interested).

Don't try to structure things like pool/darts/juggling, those are fun, low stress things you can fool around with anytime you have free time. And then some of these things you can't just take half an hour a couple times a month by yourself and expect to become competent in - golf, martial arts, boxing, longboarding - some because you need extra hands-on help.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:25 AM   #12
Jakub Kruhlik

Profile:

what's the point of learning all those skills/sports if you aren't going to play/compete? You need a specific goal and work towards it, not trying to be crappy at a bunch of different things. the amount of time you want to put in to each thing wont be enough to make you that much better.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:33 AM   #13
mike vinson

Profile:

i dont know why. i just have a lot of toys laying around the house that i never use. if i "cycled" them and put them into a workout format i might use some of them. i did dumbbell cleans this morning and handstand pushups wednesday...when am i going to use that? how many ring dip competitions are out there? the frequency of my sports skills are more often than that of the CF exercises. is there a difference? i dont know, thats what i was asking. i do them because i want to get better at them. i dont know why i want to, i was just asking is there a better way to get better at what i like doing. thanks, mike

Last edited by mike vinson : 05-10-2013 at 07:43 AM.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:41 AM   #14
Jeff Enge

Profile:

I'm not saying you can't do a lot of things if you want to.

I guess my point was, if you like doing it, just do it. There's no rhyme or reason to structuring random sport skill work if you aren't training to play the sport regularly.

No, you don't use handstand pushups or ring dips outside of the realm of working out/fitness/sport, but by the same token neither do you dribble a soccer ball or shoot a basketball. The reason the former is used more often is that it actually can improve your general fitness while the latter are sport specific.

Besides, you've answered your own question - the best way to do what you like doing, is to just do it.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:11 AM   #15
Anthony Giurato

Profile:

Here's my $.02, which probably isn't even worth that much...

My wife and I rowed competitively for many years. Now she coaches a non-competitive group. Many of the members make it out to row once a week or less often. We've noticed that even members who have been rowing for many years like this lag far behind a novice in college with only 3 or 4 months of rowing experience.

Correlation doesn't necessarily imply causation, but we think one of the reasons for the slow progression is that they need to practice more often to get better. Perhaps if they did 12 weeks where they committed to rowing 3 times a week, they would make much greater improvements that would last.

In my mind, if your goal is to get better at those specific sports/tasks, you'd be better cycling them so that you give one or a few several weeks of consistent training. If your goal is to practice random tasks to get better at life (i.e. ballet to make you more agile, reading and crosswords to make you smarter in general) then switching up whenever would be just fine. That's what children do. They develop their speed, strength, coordination, and intelligence by playing games and doing lots of different things.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:56 AM   #16
Bryan Castro

Profile:

I have a little theory about this somewhat based on experience, somewhat based on neuroscience, and inspired a little by computer gaming, but I'll try my best to make it clear.
1. I think every time you practice a specific sport skill, such as archery, you increase your skill by "x" amount. Similarly, you may also somewhat increase general attributes such as strength, flexibility, etc. depending on the activity (although I'll cover that some other time).
2. After a certain amount of accumulated skill, you "lock" in to that level of skill.
3. However, when you don't practice the skill, you lose a certain amount, up to the last "locked in" level.

For example, let's say you are a level 4 basketball player (a pro player might be a 9-10 while a college level ball player might be a 7-8 for example). And let's say your brain and body need 1000 additional skill points to lock in at level 5. Each hour you practice basketball you add 100 points to you "basketball skill." However, you lose 20 points for every day you don't practice. So if you only practice basketball once every two weeks, you gain 100 points for that practice but you've lost 280 points (20x14). Since you've locked in at level 4 (from previous play, experience) you don't go lower, but since you practice infrequently you never reach and lock in at level 5.

Hence, the recommendation to cycle the sports skills you try to develop. Using the basketball example, you 3 days a week for an hour for 5 weeks.
1. Week 1 = 300 points gain - 80 points lost = 220 points.
2. Week 2 = 300 points gain - 80 points lost + 220 points = 440 points
3. Week 3 = 300 points gain - 80 points lost + 440 points = 660 points
4. Week 4 = 300 points gain - 80 points lost + 660 points = 880 points
5. Week 5 = 300 points gain - 80 points lost + 880 points = 1100 points

After 5 weeks of focused practiced, you lock into level 5 in that skill...then you cycle on to the next skill. In a few months when you come back around to basketball again, you're building on level 5 now.

At least, that's the basic theory. Of course, the mechanics of how it works physiologically and neurologically is much more complicated, but I think the basic idea behind it isn't too far off conceptually.

And now that I've revealed that I'm a big geek, I'll be off.

Best regards,
Bryan
Old 05-14-2013, 10:48 AM   #17
Anthony Giurato

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Castro View Post
And now that I've revealed that I'm a big geek, I'll be off.
Wow, I never expected that the geekiest thing I'd read all week would be off the CrossFit boards. Not IGN, Slashdot, or XKCD, but here.

Maybe we could make a section here for "CrossFit, the MMRPG".
Old 05-18-2013, 12:23 AM   #18
Jeff Sprunger

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike vinson View Post
im doing 3 on 1 off in the mornings w/CF and would like to add some sport skills in the evenings. below is my list:

basketball / archery
bat swings / long board
boxing / lacrosse
golf swing / tae kwon do
shot putt-disc / slackline
disc golf / baseball swings
pool-darts-juggling
tennis / football-throwing-kicking
foam pit / softball pitching
sprint and jump / soccer

im doing two sport/skills a day for 30 minutes (15min each). im not competing. these are all things ive done in the past and liked but was never great at any of them. my questions are;

1. how often does a skill need to be performed to get better? is 3 times a month for 45 minutes enough?

2. how many sport skills can someone be proficient at at once?

3. im only doing cleans or snatches or DL or back squats about 3 times a month (maybe) following the mainsite wod and im getting better. can sport skills increase doing the same frequency?

i really do understand if i want to get better at tennis i need to play a lot of tennis. im just wondering if this will work? am i wasting my time? or is there a better way to be good at a lot of things. thanks, mike
to answer you main question...practice it until you are proficient.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:21 PM   #19
mike vinson

Profile:

ive gone through a little over two rounds. i think some of you are correct. im not sure once every ten days is enough if i wasnt already proficient at the skill. (disc golf felt great the second time around, bat swings better but i was never good anyway) i am interested in castro's response about reaching different levels and after you reach a level what is the minimum to maintain that level. anyway, im having fun. first time ive kicked a soccer ball in 25 years.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:31 PM   #20
William Garrett

Profile:

As others have mentioned, practice makes perfect. There is no set time a skill needs to be performed, some are naturals where others just suck and will never get the hang of things.

To be really good at something you better have a passion for it.

In some cases it may take a lifetime to get to get to a very proficient and push your skill into the elite level.

I mountain bike, and back-country snowmobile. I have been riding bikes since I was kid, im dangerously fast and proficient, and this isnt something learned from doing it once a week. It has come from years of seat time, riding with others who will push you out of your comfort zone and beyond, and surrounding myself with riders who are better than myself. Risk is inherit, and the gains in skill have also with plenty of bumps, scrapes, bruises and broken bones along the way. I found my biggest gains in skill both mental/physical came when I quit worrying about the consequences, and committed 120%. If you do that, you cant fail.
M/35/5'10@190lbs/L1 -- Squat 420, FS 325, DL 520, Press 215, Bench 315, 5k Row 19:30