CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-20-2012, 08:03 AM   #1
Andrew J Johnston

Profile:
When should offseason end?

I'm a collegiate basketball player an I'm in the offseason. For my offseason I'm doing a modified CFFB routine that fits my sport and helps get my skills better. After the offseason I switch back to standard CF an modify it a bit to meet my sport's need. My question is..when should I switch? We start practice in October, so I know I have to be ready conditioning wise by then, but when should my offseason end an my in season start?
Old 06-20-2012, 03:16 PM   #2
Joe Morden

Profile:
Re: When should offseason end?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew J Johnston View Post
I'm a collegiate basketball player an I'm in the offseason. For my offseason I'm doing a modified CFFB routine that fits my sport and helps get my skills better. After the offseason I switch back to standard CF an modify it a bit to meet my sport's need. My question is..when should I switch? We start practice in October, so I know I have to be ready conditioning wise by then, but when should my offseason end an my in season start?
When you say modified CFFB, what did you modify, same with CF. When you refer to CF are you following the Mainsite WOD's? From your question I gather that you are using CFFB to improve strength and maybe size, then are switching to main site to be in shape cardiovascularly? Correct?

Couple more questions for you, and then hopefully I (or people far smarter than myself on this board can help)

How out of shape do you get?
Can you define what being in shape for practice means for you?

Sorry this is a lot of questions back to you, but personally I would break my entire offseason (i.e. when I am not competing) into different phases. So essentially even though you are practicing prior to the season it is still the offseason. Furthermore getting in better cardiovascular shape for practice is certainly still offseason. See what I am getting at? Once you figure out these phases of your offseason you can adjust the training stimulus to match the desired outcome. More strength is the desired outcome, then scale conditioning workouts back and increase the volume of basic barbell/bdwt moves. As you get closer to the season, begin to increase conditioning and scale back traditional weight room work accordingly.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:42 PM   #3
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Morden View Post
When you say modified CFFB, what did you modify, same with CF. When you refer to CF are you following the Mainsite WOD's? From your question I gather that you are using CFFB to improve strength and maybe size, then are switching to main site to be in shape cardiovascularly? Correct?

Couple more questions for you, and then hopefully I (or people far smarter than myself on this board can help)

How out of shape do you get?
Can you define what being in shape for practice means for you?

Sorry this is a lot of questions back to you, but personally I would break my entire offseason (i.e. when I am not competing) into different phases. So essentially even though you are practicing prior to the season it is still the offseason. Furthermore getting in better cardiovascular shape for practice is certainly still offseason. See what I am getting at? Once you figure out these phases of your offseason you can adjust the training stimulus to match the desired outcome. More strength is the desired outcome, then scale conditioning workouts back and increase the volume of basic barbell/bdwt moves. As you get closer to the season, begin to increase conditioning and scale back traditional weight room work accordingly.
i echo these questions and agree with this advice...

what do you modify and why? also, my more immediate question would be, what does your coach say and what is the rest of the team doing? and why would you need to do any type of conditioning during basketball season? i can see doing specific strength work, skills, pre-hab, etc... but what does your team do or not do that you feel you need to add in CF during the season? What does doing CF help accomplish? additionally, what are you attempting to work on in the offseason? speed, strength, jumping, etc? what is the goal? what are your strengths and weakness?
Old 06-20-2012, 04:20 PM   #4
Andrew J Johnston

Profile:

I appologize for wording things incorrectly when I posted that, ha. During the off season I do a modified CFFB in a sense that I take lifts and exercises from the CFFB wedsite and do them in my routine. For instance. I'll do a 5 round circuit of flat bench, weighted crunches, dead lifts, an box jumps.

Then I'll do dribbling drills and dunk around for plyos.

An I don't do CF during the season, I do it before the season starts so I can get more tone an cardio down pat. The thing my coach wants is strength and stremendous cardio. Our offense is run an gun to the max, it's constant sprinting for 40 minutes. So over the summer I want to get as strong as possible then focus mainly on my cardio so I can be ready for the season.

My question mainly was when should I swtich from doing mainly strength an power to mainly cardio an agility. I do all of those now but the focus is on Strength an Power.