CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-06-2012, 09:42 PM   #31
Chris Mason

Profile:
Re: Powders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Herald View Post
It seems like there's a real relationship between cost and quality as with anything. Makes me wonder if I've been getting ripped off using products like muscle Pharms protein and gasparis myofusion. Chris, how would one tell the quality of ingredients in a protein? Other than price point?
Price point isn't necessary a determining factor in quality, although it plays a part.

For the average individual it is hard to tell beyond the obvious like results, how well the product mixes, do you get gas/feel bloated from its use etc. (although the bloating etc. isn't necessarily a market of quality).

I am not a big fan of Gaspari's products although the actual quality of the individual ingredients is likely ok. I think Muscle Pharm is a solid company and one to certainly consider.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:46 AM   #32
Bob Herald

Profile:

Thanks Chris, I will give nitrean a go, Im just trying to gain a little more knowledge . Youre an invaluable resource on these boards. To have a supplement manufacturer provide opinions and advice is a huge help to separate the hype from reality.

I may also give results a go. I'm currently using assault by muscle pharm. but that's more of a preworkout. Results is a creatine and beta alanine post workout correct? Are these compounds better absorbed post workout? Thanks
Old 05-07-2012, 08:40 AM   #33
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Herald View Post
Thanks Chris, I will give nitrean a go, Im just trying to gain a little more knowledge . Youre an invaluable resource on these boards. To have a supplement manufacturer provide opinions and advice is a huge help to separate the hype from reality.

I may also give results a go. I'm currently using assault by muscle pharm. but that's more of a preworkout. Results is a creatine and beta alanine post workout correct? Are these compounds better absorbed post workout? Thanks
I recommend RESULTS for PWO on training days primarily because of its dextrose content (and secondarily because of its HMB). The timing of creatine and Beta-Alanine use is not really a big deal in my opinion (daily use is the most important). That is actually one of the problems with the pre-workout products that contain creatine and or Beta-Alanine, if you don't take them daily you will never receive their full benefit.

Thank you for the complement. I would not go so far as to say invaluable, but I do like to contribute when possible.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:35 PM   #34
Andrew W Cooper

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
I recommend RESULTS for PWO on training days primarily because of its dextrose content (and secondarily because of its HMB). The timing of creatine and Beta-Alanine use is not really a big deal in my opinion (daily use is the most important). That is actually one of the problems with the pre-workout products that contain creatine and or Beta-Alanine, if you don't take them daily you will never receive their full benefit.

Thank you for the complement. I would not go so far as to say invaluable, but I do like to contribute when possible.

So for Results, is it recommended to take on rest days as well? Also I noticed it has creatine in it, would you need to take any additional creatine?
Old 05-07-2012, 06:25 PM   #35
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew W Cooper View Post
So for Results, is it recommended to take on rest days as well? Also I noticed it has creatine in it, would you need to take any additional creatine?
Yes, take it with a meal on off days. It provides 5g of quality creatine, you don't need more.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:13 PM   #36
Jakub Kruhlik

Profile:

Quote:
Yes, take it with a meal on off days. It provides 5g of quality creatine, you don't need more.
Quick question Chris. Could a person take a tablespoon of say Leucine and swallow it with a a gulp of water and the body would digest it the same way as mixing it in water and drinking it? Reason I ask is I cant stand the taste of water mixed with Leucine so recently I've just been dumping a scoop of Leucine in my mouth and drinking a few gulps of water. I'm wondering if this has the same affect (I think it would but figured it'd be best to ask an expert).
Old 05-07-2012, 08:43 PM   #37
Donald Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakub Kruhlik View Post
Quick question Chris. Could a person take a tablespoon of say Leucine and swallow it with a a gulp of water and the body would digest it the same way as mixing it in water and drinking it? Reason I ask is I cant stand the taste of water mixed with Leucine so recently I've just been dumping a scoop of Leucine in my mouth and drinking a few gulps of water. I'm wondering if this has the same affect (I think it would but figured it'd be best to ask an expert).
It doesn't matter, but you should really be taking a BCAA mix and not leucine by itself:

Quote:
Essentially, leucine is the amino acid that is responsible for jumpstarting muscle protein synthesis so people suggest adding more leucine and wonder why we include the other two aminos at all. What people donít realise is that the metabolism of leucine requires the other two amino acids in a 2:1:1 ratio, if you give leucine along you will actually deplete the blood levels of the other 2 BCAAs. Our experiment supported this and actually showed that even though we gave leucine, we actually saw a depletion of the other two amino acids because we gave leucine by itself.The levels of the isoleucine and valine started to be decrease and we believed that over time that it could actually short circuit protein synthesis because youíll have a lack of substrate, something my advisor Dr.Layman actually showed a long time ago back in the 80s. We think that having a balanced BCAA blend may be superior because you are providing it in a 2:1:1 ratio which is going to prevent that depletion of isoleucine and valine. Additionally, the studies in humans that have shown beneficial body composition effects of BCAA supplementation use a 2:1:1 ratio and Scivation always wants to put out products that are supported by research.Now, could I be wrong on this? Does 4:1:1 cause depletion? Does 10:1:1 cause depletion? We donít know because they havenít been used in studies. Iím sure if new evidence emerged that these blends were superior, they would reconsider things, but as of now, 2:1:1 is supported by research.
http://www.predatornutrition.com/Int...ro-Bodybuilder (WFS)
Old 05-07-2012, 09:24 PM   #38
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakub Kruhlik View Post
Sure, that is just fine.

The concern about reducing blood levels of the other BCAA is really only a concern if you are protein deficient in some way.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:07 PM   #39
Donald Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Sure, that is just fine.

The concern about reducing blood levels of the other BCAA is really only a concern if you are protein deficient in some way.
Are you saying there are more than enough plasma isoleucine and valine but not enough plasma leucine, during times it's recommended to take BCAAs?
Old 05-08-2012, 01:42 AM   #40
Ian Girvan

Profile:

What are peoples thoughts on Micellar Casein?