CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-05-2012, 07:45 PM   #1
Jacob Magnan

Profile:
Weight Gainer Supp and Ulcerative Colitis

Hello, I was recently diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and I am trying to gain weight. I'm 22, just under 6'1, and weigh about 164lbs. I took Monster Mass and I was fine for almost the entire tub except for the last few servings. I gained about 4 or 5 pounds then lost it cause of a minor flare up. I was taking it twice a day, once after a workout in the "morning" once before bed. I say "morning" because I'm working the night shift right now. I was wondering if anyone with UC has had any luck with any Weight Gainer Supplements. I'm in LE, so I work long, weird hours and its just so much easier blending a shake and have 600+ calories in 3 minutes. Any advice, input, comments, anything is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 05-05-2012, 07:59 PM   #2
Jakub Kruhlik

Profile:
Re: Weight Gainer Supp and Ulcerative Colitis

that does not sound pleasant. never used any weight gainers but a gallon of milk a day plus shots of olive oil put weight on me like no other. just my 2 cents.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:18 PM   #3
Jacob Magnan

Profile:

Oh, I forgot to mention I'm lactose intolerant. So no GOMAD for me! But shots of olive oil is possible..hopefully.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:25 PM   #4
William J Mallon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Magnan View Post
Hello, I was recently diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and I am trying to gain weight. I'm 22, just under 6'1, and weigh about 164lbs. I took Monster Mass and I was fine for almost the entire tub except for the last few servings. I gained about 4 or 5 pounds then lost it cause of a minor flare up. I was taking it twice a day, once after a workout in the "morning" once before bed. I say "morning" because I'm working the night shift right now. I was wondering if anyone with UC has had any luck with any Weight Gainer Supplements. I'm in LE, so I work long, weird hours and its just so much easier blending a shake and have 600+ calories in 3 minutes. Any advice, input, comments, anything is appreciated. Thanks!
My girlfriend has chrohns which is Related to uc. She was advised to be very careful with dairy products and anything processed. Do u think monster milk caused the flare? I don't know the specific contents but I'm sure there is some ingredients that may cause immflamtion.

Some guys at my gym use a mass building Protein by stronger faster healthier. I think it's called fortified. It doesn't have alot of chemicals like monster milk. Maybe Chris mason has some input on his products?

I guess the most important thing is to identify and address ur triggers whether they be stress or diet related etc. anything that causes inflamation may or may not be suspect. Your health is more important than bulking so be judicious with ur choice of supplements.

Good luck! I feel for you because I have seen my girlfriend go through hell
Old 05-05-2012, 08:30 PM   #5
William J Mallon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by William J Mallon View Post
My girlfriend has chrohns which is Related to uc. She was advised to be very careful with dairy products and anything processed. Do u think monster milk caused the flare? I don't know the specific contents but I'm sure there is some ingredients that may cause immflamtion.

Some guys at my gym use a mass building Protein by stronger faster healthier. I think it's called fortified. It doesn't have alot of chemicals like monster milk. Maybe Chris mason has some input on his products?

I guess the most important thing is to identify and address ur triggers whether they be stress or diet related etc. anything that causes inflamation may or may not be suspect. Your health is more important than bulking so be judicious with ur choice of supplements.

Good luck! I feel for you because I have seen my girlfriend go through hell
Also if ur unsure about the contents of any product talk to ur Md or nutritionist abOut it.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:32 PM   #6
William J Mallon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakub Kruhlik View Post
that does not sound pleasant. never used any weight gainers but a gallon of milk a day plus shots of olive oil put weight on me like no other. just my 2 cents.
I would not advise someone with immflamitory bowel disease to drink a gallon of milk though
Old 05-05-2012, 08:35 PM   #7
William J Mallon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Magnan View Post
Oh, I forgot to mention I'm lactose intolerant. So no GOMAD for me! But shots of olive oil is possible..hopefully.
I was typing my response when you wrote this. Some muscle milk products are dairy free. Is monster milk?
Old 05-05-2012, 08:41 PM   #8
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:

Nobody on this board is qualified to give you an answer. Talk to your doctor.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:44 PM   #9
William J Mallon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitri Dziabenko View Post
Nobody on this board is qualified to give you an answer. Talk to your doctor.
As I advised him.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:46 PM   #10
Jacob Magnan

Profile:

I believe its lactose free but has milk protein. I don't know if I contradicted myself in saying that haha