CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-27-2012, 07:34 PM   #41
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: 60 Minutes segment on sugar

Again, Luke, no one here is arguing in favor of the modern Western diet.

But I'm sick and tired of reading posts from people with messed up hormone levels, no energy, and borderline starvation symptoms who have somehow convinced themselves that extreme carb avoidance is the only way to achieve their goals.

There's a big difference between stuffing yourself on donuts, pizza, and pasta and eating a few pieces of fruit or a bowl of rice every now and then. Any diet that conflates the two is frankly idiotic. I hope you'll join me in trying to stamp out that kind of stupidity.

Katherine
Old 04-30-2012, 11:05 AM   #42
Luke Seubert

Profile:
Re: 60 Minutes segment on sugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
But I'm sick and tired of reading posts from people with messed up hormone levels, no energy, and borderline starvation symptoms who have somehow convinced themselves that extreme carb avoidance is the only way to achieve their goals.

There's a big difference between stuffing yourself on donuts, pizza, and pasta and eating a few pieces of fruit or a bowl of rice every now and then. Any diet that conflates the two is frankly idiotic. I hope you'll join me in trying to stamp out that kind of stupidity.
Hmm, an interesting proposal. The problem with helping you stamp out such stupidity, is that there is so much of it. I don't follow the Nutrition forums closely, but I have seen a huge number of posts about people struggling with athletic performance who are consuming way too few calories. I have plenty of personal experience with this, and I have the hard data to prove that you can't do it. You can lose lots of fat pretty fast, or you can exercise and workout really hard. But you can't do both at the same time for more than a few weeks.

The way I see it, Katherine, you keep on repeating the same message over and over, albeit in slightly different ways. This really sucks after a while, because it gets tedious.

How about this for a solution? Let's you and I, and maybe a few other folks, develop a list of the most common silly errors which are repeatedly posted to this forum. Then, we can write a joint response to each error. You could post your perspective, and I would post mine as would others, but we put them together in a single post. The parts we all agree on are presented as such, with dissenting views posted under our own names. These responses could be collated into a single thread and we could ask the mods to pin that thread. Then, when somebody posts the same old problem, you or I or whoever could post a brief personal response, with a link to the relevant post in the pinned thread.

By way of example, for the responses to the Paleo dieters, as a Paleo dieter myself, I can write with some authority on the need for proper levels of carbs. For folks like me who have serious problems with obesity, a lifetime of lower carb intake is probably best, but not chronically low intake. Almost all people have to carb up somewhat often to maintain a healthy hormonal balance. People who exercise hard, or who have a metabolism which doesn't convert carbs to body fat with such brutal efficiency; should consume more carbs more often in their diet.

You and others could write in similar fashion about other issues. Each issue gets its own unified post in a single pinned FAQ thread. People can be referred to specific posts in this thread as needed.

I am willing to write, edit, and format these posts. Would you be willing to help create the error/question list, recruit others to the effort, contribute your own knowledge in the replies, and talk to the mods about pinning the thread? Additionally, could you ask the mods to lock the thread and allow occasional edits as newly revealed knowledge requires editing of past posts or creation of new posts?

Last edited by Luke Seubert : 04-30-2012 at 11:08 AM.