CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-01-2012, 06:39 AM   #1
Eldad Sharon

Profile:
Ephedra

Have any of you out there used Ephedra either for training or as a supplement? Did it work for you? Were there any adverse effects?

Please do not post to tell me it is illegal.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:02 AM   #3
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:
Re: Ephedra

While Ephedra is illegal, Ephedrine is not though you have to get it through asthma pills (or pay a lot of money for pure ephedrine). As for whether it works, the studies Darryl posted and many others suggest about a 2lb improvement in weight loss per month on average (most of it from fat).

I have a friend in Toronto who was doing a PSMF to lose a lot of weight for graduation. She said the E/C stack was a god send, as she didn't feel any hunger, the drop in metabolic rate was partially offset and the stimulant effects made her move around more during the day (as opposed to dieting, and then sitting around all day because she was tired).

As for adverse effects, she was an idiot and took the full dose on the first day, which made her pretty sick and she threw up a bunch of times. She then ramped it up over two weeks like you are supposed to, and everything was fine, and she lost a ton of weight.

What is your motivation for doing E/C? Unless you are doing a diet where hunger is a HUGE issue, or you are in a rush, I really don't see a reason to take drugs.
Old 04-01-2012, 01:42 PM   #4
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Stuff works, no doubt about that. Good luck finding it though, the goverent doesn't exactly care for it, not because people have taken too much and died but because it is used in making meth.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:02 PM   #5
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:

Finding it is not exactly tough, my bodybuilding friends buy it from drugstore.com (WFS), which sells both primatene and bronkaid. They all say it works, and I have no reason to doubt them.

Don't buy more than the limit or you will go to jail. Also, read this, and as much other stuff as you can to educate yourself.

http://www.drumlib.com/dp/000006.htm (WFS)

Once you start taking this, you have entered drug-territory, at which point you can't do the stupid "if recommended dose is good, 5x is better" thing that people do with protein powder and fish oil and vitamins. I guess death tends to be very slimming, but that's not what most are after.

Also, to be honest, this is not the correct forum to discuss drugs, it's not really advocated here, and most people here will probably frown upon it. I personally don't judge anybody for taking any kinds of drugs, you can do whatever you want with your body, but I do urge you to educate yourself.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:07 PM   #6
Jakub Kruhlik

Profile:

caffeine and alcohol are drugs so anyone that judges me or anyone else should take a look at themselves before pointing fingers. that being said EC stack def works i dont take it often, mainly before a big game as caffeine decreases reaction time significantly. better than pounding a red bull like some of my teammates do right before a game.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:58 PM   #7
Donald Lee

Profile:

I take an EC stack any time I'm trying to lose fat at a fast pace, or if I'm at a fairly low body fat percentage.

It loses some of its hunger blunting effects after a couple weeks, but its metabolism stimulating effect actually increases with use.

Ephedra is the herbal form, so it can have a lot of side effects that is minimized in the synthetic form. You also never really know how much of the stimulant is in the herb.

I think EC stacks can be very helpful for anyone dieting, despite the negative stigma. The problem is that fat burning stimulants are often used to replace proper dieting or they're abused for other purposes.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:08 PM   #8
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Lee View Post
It loses some of its hunger blunting effects after a couple weeks, but its metabolism stimulating effect actually increases with use.
Supposedly 0.5-1g of L-tyrosine brings them back.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:19 PM   #9
Donald Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitri Dziabenko View Post
Supposedly 0.5-1g of L-tyrosine brings them back.
Well, tyrosine is a precursor to the catecholamines, so taking it is supposed to potentially increase the stimulatory and appepite suppressing effects of ephedrine, with long-term usage of ephedrine.

For me, I don't know if taking L-tyrosine helped or not. If it did help, it was of marginal benefit.

Seeing as how L-tyrosine is not talked about much, I bet most people don't experience noticeable differences.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:20 PM   #10
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitri Dziabenko View Post
Finding it is not exactly tough, my bodybuilding friends buy it from drugstore.com (WFS), which sells both primatene and bronkaid. They all say it works, and I have no reason to doubt them.

Don't buy more than the limit or you will go to jail. Also, read this, and as much other stuff as you can to educate yourself.

http://www.drumlib.com/dp/000006.htm (WFS)

Once you start taking this, you have entered drug-territory, at which point you can't do the stupid "if recommended dose is good, 5x is better" thing that people do with protein powder and fish oil and vitamins. I guess death tends to be very slimming, but that's not what most are after.

Also, to be honest, this is not the correct forum to discuss drugs, it's not really advocated here, and most people here will probably frown upon it. I personally don't judge anybody for taking any kinds of drugs, you can do whatever you want with your body, but I do urge you to educate yourself.
I can't order it from there due to state laws. I actually tried hoping that I could run an EC stack during my cut but it stopped me at checkout.