CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 04-24-2006, 08:10 AM   #1
Ryan Norman

Profile:
I recently introduced my girlfriend to Crossfit and she started to get into it, but then she went and broke her foot. She is still determined to workout, but I'm not sure what I should have her do besides pullups, dips, pushups, and the bike (when her foot starts to heal). I'm sure I am missing something, does anyone have any input? Thanks.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:37 AM   #2
Paul Findley

Profile:
If I broke my foot, I would work on my abs, my bench, seated overhead presses, etc.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:40 AM   #3
Roger Harrell

Profile:
A broken foot is an excellent oportunity to work on muscle ups, pull ups, handstand push-ups ...

There's an enormous variety of stuff you can do without a foot. Be VERY cautious about unstable positions, you do not want her falling onto that foot.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:18 AM   #4
Dan Strametz

Profile:
Ryan, We had a gentleman that broke his toe. He did one legged squats, one leg box jumps and so on. I don't suggest your girlfriend do the same butt, there is still a fair amount of exercises she can do. Work L-sits. Good luck.

(Message edited by Big_d on April 24, 2006)
Old 04-24-2006, 11:15 AM   #5
Ryan Norman

Profile:
L sits. Thats a good one. Sounds like she'll be working them tonight with me! Sure she will love that. I knew I had forgotten some exercises.
Old 04-24-2006, 12:10 PM   #6
Bryan Veis

Profile:
Gee, this is my first post, but I already found something I can help with. I spent a year on crutches and almost three walking with a cane after badly botched foot surgery, and then, to top it off, a broken ankle on the same leg just after I ditched the cane. I've probably tried almost every exercise possible on one leg in the past few years.

In addition to what has already been mentioned, if you have access to a Concept 2 rower, your girlfriend can row with one leg or with lighter pressure (depending on where the break is) on the foot, for example, putting the heel of the broken foot high on the footplate. I know of one woman who actually put a skateboard beside a rower to rest her broken leg.

Don't overlook machines if they are available -- having a broken foot is a reasonable excuse to use them. Again depending on where the break is and what stress the cast or splint will bear, she may be able to use leg curl and leg extension machines effectively. Likewise, she may be able to do glute-ham work if the cast will allow. Single-legged dumbbell deadlifts (a la Ian King) are also pretty good under the circumstances. If she's not ready for single-leg squats, then you might have her do lunges with her broken foot up on a Swiss ball, stool, or bench. The Swiss ball is more challenging because it moves, but if you rest your shin on it, it keeps the pressure off your foot. I found that benches and stools were less comfortable, but your mileage may vary. The only thing I never really found a good solution for was calf exercises for the bad leg.

There is, by the way, some research that supports the theory that exercising the non-injured leg will have a positive effect in minimizing atrophy in the injured leg. It didn't particularly help me, but then again, I was kind of a basket case, anyway.

Good luck.
Old 04-24-2006, 12:28 PM   #7
Brian White

Profile:
Ryan, I'll second Dan's advice - unless she's really comfortable with her balance, don't have her trying the one-legged box jumps and the like. Also, a broken toe allows for some weight to be put on the affected foot if need be, without knowing where her break is I'd really caution against that. She can also work on a C2 if she can put any weight on her heel at all, I found that was a decent sub for running during most WODs. Great pic, are you still in Baghdad? Gotta do something similar for Team Fallujah in the near future.
Old 04-24-2006, 12:51 PM   #8
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Brian brings up some fond memories and I believe there is a little "Do as I say not as I do" in there. One legged burpee box jumps. :lol:
Old 04-24-2006, 01:21 PM   #9
Brian White

Profile:
I'm just trying to help him avoid my mistakes! One-legged burpee box jumps, man that was a special kind of misery....
Old 04-24-2006, 07:27 PM   #10
Ryan Norman

Profile:
Yeah, I dont think I would try one legged birpee box jumps, let alone suggest it to her. That would get her unmotivated in a hurry!

Thanks for your help. A lot of good suggestions that I easily overlooked for some reason.

Brian, Im not in Baghdad anymore. Found my way home. Guess I should change my pic!