CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-31-2007, 03:25 AM   #1
Adam Teece

Profile:
Hey everyone, It's nice to finally join the Crossfit community!

I'm coming from a background of about 5 years of very on-and-off training. I'm 5'11, 160lbs, and wanting to gain some LBM as well as improve my overall conditioning. My hope was to complete a round or two of Rippetoes "Starting Strength" program before I start Crossfit, but I've run into a problem with squats.

Back Squats are my best lift, but since I've been upping the poundage a fair bit my shoulders are aching! I've tried every possible hand placement, keeping my scapula depressed and stable, but nothing prevents it. Front squats even bother my shoulders now that they've already been aggravated.

What would be the best thing to do with the program if I can't back or front squat? I'm also a little nervous about hack squats now too because they require lifting with a retracted shoulder.

I've thought of a couple of options - replacing the squats with either the dreaded leg press or with overhead squats. I'm leaning towards the leg press because I'll be able to keep a fairly high level of loading on my legs, while my core and back might end up getting a better workout from overhead squats at this point in my game.

Should I leg press? And if I do, would it be best to replace the squats directly into the program (3x5 every work day), or maybe do deadlifts every work day and then a 3x5 of leg press every second work day?

I usually don't get this confused, don't worry! ;)
Old 05-31-2007, 04:45 AM   #2
William Hunter

Profile:
IMO, you should have your shoulders evaluated by a qualified trainer, looking for specific flexibility issues. Crossfit has many exercises that demand a lot from the shoulders, and if you're having problems with just hand placement in squats it could lead to further trouble down the road.

"Should I leg press?" - No. Sub one-legged squats or something like that while you fix your shoulder issues.

Good luck and welcome.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:39 AM   #3
Peter Terry Haas

Profile:
Are you doing the low bar back squats that Coach Rip advocates? If those are hurting your shoulders switch to the high bar (top of traps) version. That should take some of the stress off of the shoulder.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:23 PM   #4
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
I vote for OHS. "Just say no" to the leg press.

Air squats, pistols, OHS, box jumps, split squats and lunges are just a few of the movements that come to mind and would be better than the leg press IMO.

If you shoulders hurt with front squats it seems like they would hurt with OHS as well?
Old 06-09-2007, 02:17 AM   #5
Adam Teece

Profile:
Thanks for the replies guys. I decided to take your advice William, and buckled down and went to a physiotherapist for an assessment. It looks like I have a minor sprain in both shoulders of the GH joint, which was probably facilitated by hyper-laxity of my SC joints.

He prescribed avoiding any exercises that will put me in the abducted/externally rotated position for a while, and strengthening the upper back musculature to improve my shoulder posture which should help avoid this injury in the future.

I think it's best if I do some conservative training for a couple of months, and then approach my local Crossfit center to see what the head trainer thinks about me beginning. Any further thoughts?