CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-30-2006, 09:37 AM   #1
Kevin Perry

Profile:
Well Im getting my motivation on board and been hitting the wods like crazy and have felt pretty good so far but im still having some trouble tweaking the diet and have a few questions.

I did at one point follow the zone and paleo and fell off track but have stuck with eating clean lean meats, vegies, fruits for the most part. But now im trying to buy the right stuff to fit in a regular 5 meal a day diet with 40-30-30 zone ratios.

Im very confused about items like oils, nuts, seeds, and multivitamins.

Should I be mixing these in the the meals I eat? I've been searchign the board about the different oils and have looked into fish oil and cod liver oil but what other oils should I include with my meals? As you can see im really unsure where to go with these items.

Also, Im really taking getting on track with a diet serious this time for performance and im going to work as hard as I can to get the diet right and drop bf% to 7-8. But I really am confused about the how the proportions are supposed to work into this and which foods will work best.

Sorry if this post does not make much sense, im trying to really figure out the diet and it can get confusing.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:27 AM   #2
Neal Winkler

Profile:
Kevin, if you are going the Zone route, have your checked out the May 2004 issue of the CrossFit journal? https://store.crossfit.com/cgi-bin/cp-app.cgi?usr=51F5044990&rnd=9520118&rrc=N&a ffl=&cip=66.65.204.244&act=&aff=&pg=prod&ref=cfj02 1&cat=cfjbak&catstr=HOME:cfjba k

Oils, nuts, seeds, multivitamins: Do not confuse fish oils with cooking oils like coconut oil and olive oil. The latter will be counted into your Zone blocks, along with nuts and seeds as they all contain many calories. However, fish oil supplementation does not count for any blocks. Now, you will need to add the cooking oils like coconut, olive, palm, walnut, and grassfed lard/tallow/suet to your food in order to complete the number of required fat blocks. You will also need to take fish oil because its just healthy, but its not something that you add to food, you take it on the side in pill form or liquid form.

Nuts, and seeds can be eaten in place of the cooking oils for your fat blocks, but typically have poor omega-6 to omega-3 ratios. Try to pick the more monunsaturated variety. Walnuts are probably the best nut.

Multivitamins have nothing to do with your blocks as they have no calories. Also, if you are eating meats, fruits, and veggies, then it shouldn't be necessary to take a multi.

Let me know if I answered your questions.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:12 AM   #3
Kevin Perry

Profile:
Thanks Neal, that cleared a few things up. I actually try to eat with a mixture of paleo, zone, and IF. Im trying to get back into eating 5 meals a day made up of the zone proportions but in a more paleo style since it's easier for me to just eat plain fruits, vegies, and meats. But you cleared up the confusion I had with the fish oils.

To figure some things up concerning the fat blocks. I read that some members swallow a teaspoon of the cooking oil they use rather with their meals. Right now I am unable to cook any meals and I live with a family that overstocks in junk food (hence the IF I do on a regular basis) so following the zone ratio is a bit difficult. Is it ok to to swallow the oils like that? or can it work to pour a little bit on a salad or some zone friendly foods?

I also did a caliper test at the gym today and found my bf% to be between 9.4 and 10.4 so I think I found some good motivation to get serious about cf and diet.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:40 PM   #4
Neal Winkler

Profile:
Are you sure the other members weren't taking a teaspoon of the cod liver oil (which is a kind of fish oil)?

You can just drink a teaspoon of a particular cooking oil if you like, but most people (including myself), just poor it on their food.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:50 PM   #5
Kevin Perry

Profile:
Well thats what I was confused about, I will jsut pour it onto the food I eat since that must be easier.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:29 AM   #6
Brian Reckdenwald

Profile:
As disgutsting as a shot of olive oil sounds, it is done and it is a quick way to get good fat if you aren't cooking.

For the record it took me a long time to work up the nerve to do it without considering vomiting.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:19 PM   #7
Jeffrey Crawford

Profile:
I took a shot of olive oil once and almost died on the spot...i would not advise it.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:23 AM   #8
Taha Mohamedali

Profile:
I go x fat pretty often. My fats of choice are macadamia nuts, coconut shreds, coconut milk and cocoa nibs.

Coconut shreds are by far the most transportable and convenient to measure, I pour them over fruit, over salads in my coffee almost any place i can :-)
Old 11-01-2006, 05:15 AM   #9
Adam Levenson

Profile:
I do shots of olive oil all the time to up calories on quick meals.

Shot of oil

Some friut

Lunch Meat/Cold Chicken Left Overs

Honestly, I guess it depends entirely on your tolerance. Being a whiskey drinker likely helps your ability to down disgusting things quickly out of a shot glass.