CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-28-2013, 07:28 AM   #1
Nichole M Blankenship

Profile:
Anyone feel weaker as they get started

I am 2 1/5 weeks into crossfit (I did bootcamp 5 days a week since last June before changing) and I feel like I am getting weaker. My first week my clean and jerk was 75lbs. This morning I couldn't get it. Maybe it's a mental block I am hitting or maybe because it was 5:30 am!? I don't know. My husband says he feels the same and this is his first week at crossfit. Maybe it's all so new and our bodies are freaking out?? May calorie intake has been around 1500/1600 a day. His has been like 1800. We are getting enough rest. Advise or thoughts??
Old 03-28-2013, 07:38 AM   #2
Garrett Loughry

Profile:
Re: Anyone feel weaker as they get started

One of the main reasons you're feeling weaker is because you aren't getting enough calories in your diet. For most people, a caloric intake of 2,000 is what you need just to sustain life if you lived in a coma. So I would say foremost to increase your calories. Secondly, your bodies are still in shock, you need to let them adjust to the workout plan and remember your muscles need time to recover between your workouts if you plan on seeing "strength improvements."
Old 03-28-2013, 07:49 AM   #3
Mike Donalds

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nichole M Blankenship View Post
May calorie intake has been around 1500/1600 a day. His has been like 1800. We are getting enough rest. Advise or thoughts??
GOOD LORD.

Simple solution. EAT MORE! Your bodies are shutting down because you're starving yourselves.

Just as an example: I am 5'10" 185lbs and strength train 4 days a week. My body is virtually rendered useless if I don't eat at least 3,200 calories a day. Granted, this will differ with everyone based on their training needs and such, but I can think of no situations where 1500 (female) or 1800 (male) calories would be enough for any kind of sustained intense training. Please do some research on nutrition plans related to intense exercise and reapproach how and what you eat. You could suffer all kinds of bodily and hormonal problems if you don't eat more and eat well.

Last edited by Mike Donalds : 03-28-2013 at 07:59 AM.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:09 AM   #4
Nichole M Blankenship

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Loughry View Post
One of the main reasons you're feeling weaker is because you aren't getting enough calories in your diet. For most people, a caloric intake of 2,000 is what you need just to sustain life if you lived in a coma. So I would say foremost to increase your calories. Secondly, your bodies are still in shock, you need to let them adjust to the workout plan and remember your muscles need time to recover between your workouts if you plan on seeing "strength improvements."
So my plan is to do 5 days on 2 days off. Is that good as far as recovery is concerned? I have heard both ways: 3 days on 1 day off or 5 days on 2 days off. I am FREAKED OUT to eat that much LOL!! I am wanting to lose body fat. I don't care what the scale says for the most part. I am 138 and am 5' 1" and have a pretty muscular build naturally. Not sure what my BF% is. Will I lose BF if I increase my intake. I am going to try for like 2-3 weeks and see what changes my body makes. I 'aint gonna lie though, I am nervous! Thanks for the reply
Old 03-28-2013, 08:23 AM   #5
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

If you go 5 days in a row you won't be as fresh and strong on days 4 & 5. The best way to do 5 days is 3 on 1 off 2 on 1 off. As long as you understand day 4 and 5 won't be your best you can go 5 days in a row.

As for food if you want to lose body fat eat Paleo. You have to make sure you do it correctly. Eat enough and make sure you are getting a lot of healthy fats.

We see people like you fail on Paleo because you think eating fat is bad so you try to eat low fat Paleo which is just another name for starving yourself.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:29 AM   #6
Nichole M Blankenship

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Donalds View Post
GOOD LORD.

Simple solution. EAT MORE! Your bodies are shutting down because you're starving yourselves.

Just as an example: I am 5'10" 185lbs and strength train 4 days a week. My body is virtually rendered useless if I don't eat at least 3,200 calories a day. Granted, this will differ with everyone based on their training needs and such, but I can think of no situations where 1500 (female) or 1800 (male) calories would be enough for any kind of sustained intense training. Please do some research on nutrition plans related to intense exercise and reapproach how and what you eat. You could suffer all kinds of bodily and hormonal problems if you don't eat more and eat well.

Ok! I will be adding calories in.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:32 AM   #7
Nichole M Blankenship

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan McNamar View Post
If you go 5 days in a row you won't be as fresh and strong on days 4 & 5. The best way to do 5 days is 3 on 1 off 2 on 1 off. As long as you understand day 4 and 5 won't be your best you can go 5 days in a row.

As for food if you want to lose body fat eat Paleo. You have to make sure you do it correctly. Eat enough and make sure you are getting a lot of healthy fats.

We see people like you fail on Paleo because you think eating fat is bad so you try to eat low fat Paleo which is just another name for starving yourself.
It is REALLY hard for me to eat enough on Paleo. I did it for a few days and would avergae 1000 calories a day and NOT on purpose and I wasn't afraid to eat higher healthy fats. I have gallbladder problems too so I do worry that eating high in fat (even though it is healthy fats) will cause me a trip to the ER in emergency surgery. So whole grain carbs within reason are still bad for fat loss efforts?
Old 03-28-2013, 11:44 AM   #8
Garrett Loughry

Profile:

Quote:
So my plan is to do 5 days on 2 days off. Is that good as far as recovery is concerned? I have heard both ways: 3 days on 1 day off or 5 days on 2 days off. I am FREAKED OUT to eat that much LOL!! I am wanting to lose body fat. I don't care what the scale says for the most part. I am 138 and am 5' 1" and have a pretty muscular build naturally. Not sure what my BF% is. Will I lose BF if I increase my intake. I am going to try for like 2-3 weeks and see what changes my body makes. I 'aint gonna lie though, I am nervous! Thanks for the reply
I do 3 on 1 off and I normally pretty well rested and never too sore. I know it might seem like a lot to eat but it's what your body needs just to function, by shorting yourself you won't have the MACRO's for muscle recovery. In order to allow your body to lose the weight/fat you'll need to increase your caloric intake
Old 03-28-2013, 12:04 PM   #9
Nichole M Blankenship

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Loughry View Post
I do 3 on 1 off and I normally pretty well rested and never too sore. I know it might seem like a lot to eat but it's what your body needs just to function, by shorting yourself you won't have the MACRO's for muscle recovery. In order to allow your body to lose the weight/fat you'll need to increase your caloric intake
Do i really need to increase it to 2000 a day?? My TDEE is like 2200
Old 03-28-2013, 12:43 PM   #10
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Quote:
Do i really need to increase it to 2000 a day?? My TDEE is like 2200
TDEE is still just an estimate. If you're feeling weak, you're obviously not getting enough energy. The way to get energy is to ingest more calories - a "calorie" or course being a unit of energy.