CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-16-2012, 11:40 AM   #31
Sean Dunston

Profile:
Re: Question: Anyone Who Has Attended or Participated in a PL Meet

here are the lifting commands for the bench:

Quote:
(f) After removing the bar from the racks, with or without the help of the spotter / loaders, the lifter shall wait with elbows locked for the Chief Referee’s signal. The signal shall be given as soon as the lifter is motionless and the bar properly positioned. For reasons of safety the lifter will be requested to “Replace” the bar, together with a backward movement of the arm, if after a period of five seconds he is not in the correct position to begin the lift. The Chief Referee will then convey the reason why the signal was not given.
(g) The signal to begin the attempt shall consist of a downward movement of the arm together with the audible command “Start”.
(h) After receiving the signal, the lifter must lower the bar to the chest (the chest, for the purpose of the rule, finishes at the base of the sternum/breastbone), hold it motionless on the chest, after which the Chief Referee will signal the audible command “Press”. The lifter must then return the bar to arms length with no excessive, immoderate and uneven extension of the arms. When held motionless in this position the audible command “Rack” shall be given together with a backward motion of the arm.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:10 AM   #32
Dana Rice

Profile:

Had a dissapointing day today. Head wasn't totally in it - and it looks like I may have to change my gameplan for Deadlifts.

I was going to try 500 opener, then 530, then 550.

Here is the video of 500:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGbDT3B5yfY

I tried 530 twice and couldn't lock it out. At that point, my lower back and hamstrings were toast.

I am re-thinking, I may go 485 - 500 - 515

sucks, I got 460 for 5 last week!
Old 05-21-2012, 05:36 PM   #33
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Rice View Post
Had a dissapointing day today. Head wasn't totally in it - and it looks like I may have to change my gameplan for Deadlifts.

I was going to try 500 opener, then 530, then 550.

Here is the video of 500:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGbDT3B5yfY

I tried 530 twice and couldn't lock it out. At that point, my lower back and hamstrings were toast.

I am re-thinking, I may go 485 - 500 - 515

sucks, I got 460 for 5 last week!
If you pulled 460 for 5 last week then you probably weren't very well rested this week. The rest weeks plus the heat of competition will probably help add some pounds.

The pull looked pretty good but maybe lacking a little energy. I'd say to try and spend a little less time bent over and holding on to the bar at the beginning. Get your grip set, then fairly quickly drop into position and pull. The little bit of elasticity you get can help quite a bit (as long as you still get in the proper pulling position).

Dropping your opener is probably a safe bet though. If you can, get someone to video tape it and show it to you afterwards so you can check your bar speed. Then you can use that to gauge your next weights. Every close to max deadlift feels heavy but checking the bar speed can help for a less biased opinion.

Last edited by Matt Haxmeier : 05-21-2012 at 05:41 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:09 PM   #34
Chris Mason

Profile:

Ok, a question, if you are going to be competing soon why are you doing 5RM sets?

My only recommendation from that video is I feel you are bent over too far to commence the pull. See if you can get your back into a more upright position prior to starting the actual pull.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:55 PM   #35
Collin Thompson

Profile:

He was doing 5RM sets because he was mid Wendler's cycle.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:09 AM   #36
Dana Rice

Profile:

Thanks for the advice everyone. I do really appreciate it. Collin is correct, that was my last 5/3/1 cycle at 1+. The 5 wasn't really a 5rm, I probably had 1-2 left in the tank. But I think you guys might be right about recovery. Especially since I did the heavy squats (for me) 2 days before. And thanks for the tip Chris- I respect your opinion a great deal, and have been told my hips are a little high in a form check video before. Ill try to make an adjustment this week (my last deadlift session- and see if it feels any better.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:56 PM   #37
Dana Rice

Profile:

Thanks again to everyone who offered advice. My meet was today, awesome experience. I said going in, this would be a 1 time thing to test myself, but now I don't know. I finished 1st overall in the 198 raw open division (607.5kg/1339.3lbs) and left some on the table with a disappointing bench. Set a PR in squat (457lb) and deadlift (532lb).
Old 06-02-2012, 07:33 PM   #38
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Congrats.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:42 AM   #39
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Rice View Post
Thanks again to everyone who offered advice. My meet was today, awesome experience. I said going in, this would be a 1 time thing to test myself, but now I don't know. I finished 1st overall in the 198 raw open division (607.5kg/1339.3lbs) and left some on the table with a disappointing bench. Set a PR in squat (457lb) and deadlift (532lb).
I had 2 friends competing there too - Courtney Modecki (I think she competed in 132#) and John Dill (181#).

Congrats - 1300+ is a great Total!
Old 06-03-2012, 08:14 AM   #40
Dana Rice

Profile:

Yep, I met both of them. Really nice people, and both did well. Courtney I think took 1st and John maybe 2nd? The 181 class was pretty competitive. Courtney is strong on squat and deadlift. Are they from Raleigh, or DC?