CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-13-2011, 08:08 PM   #1
Jacob William Baker

Profile:
WOD's Alone

Hey all,

I just wanted to see how many serious crossfitters WOD outside of the group setting? I recently started attending the United Steates Military Academy Prep School and I was stoaked because I thought I'd be able to start to train with Black and Gold Crossfit now that the Prep School is at West Point; however, the school is about a 2 mile run from Arvin gym, where they workout. It's not a problem to get up at 0430 and run down to Arvin to WOD, the only issue is working out the running that 2 miles uphill the opposite direction in 15 minutes to make it for morning formation

I've started to just WOD on my own because there isnt a USMAPS crossfit club (in the process of starting one, though there aren't many interested so far). I've noticed its really difficult to push yourself to the same intensity when you're not in that group environment.

To those of you dedicated crossfitters and garage WODers, how do you overcome the lack of motivation I'm noticing? It's not debilitating, I mean, i'm still getting the WODs done...it just sucks! It's totally not the same!

Thanks, train hard

JWB
Old 08-13-2011, 08:17 PM   #2
Keith Homfeldt

Profile:
Re: WOD's Alone

I rock out to some Dave Matthews, Phish, and Talib Kweli hardcore to get me going...also tracking your performance on the benchmarks helps.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:10 PM   #3
Chris Mason

Profile:

Can't you find a few training partners? How about going later in the day?
Old 08-14-2011, 07:39 AM   #4
David Meverden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Homfeldt View Post
I rock out to some Dave Matthews, Phish, and Talib Kweli hardcore to get me going...also tracking your performance on the benchmarks helps.
You call THAT workout music? I guess the Kweli is all right, but you need something better than the rest.

How about some Rammstein, or Lincoln Park, or Powerman 5000? THAT stuff will get you ramped up!

As for the OP, I'm with Chris. Find a workout partner. There must be ONE other person around that would do these CF workouts with you. And one is all you need.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:15 AM   #5
Adam Dunn

Profile:

Lincoln Park is a nice place in Chicago. On the other hand, Linkin Park is a kick-a$$ rock band!
Old 08-14-2011, 08:21 AM   #6
Jacob William Baker

Profile:

Yeah I'm thinking it'll be a little easier to push it once I get my Ipod up here. Chris; I usually do my WOD later on in the day, but Black and Gold only meets once. It's a non-profit affiliate for people on post.
Haha, and I've asked almost everyone in my battallion that isn't a recruited athlete if they would want to workout sometime. I got a ton of excited "hell yeahs" and "that sounds tight" but when I actually go to workout, they're much less ecstatic.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:30 AM   #7
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

I workout alone often because most of the time I need to be watching my clients when they are working out.

Keep a log book and try to beat your own last best effort. CrossFit solo done regularly, because you can schedual it well, will produce the desired results. Consistency is the key.

It also builds a certain internal strength. People who work out alone are comfortable pushing themselves when they are alone and can also push themselves in a group. People who all way depend on the group to draw motivation can sometimes struggle in a time trail type event when it is an individual effort.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:39 PM   #8
Keith Homfeldt

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
You call THAT workout music? I guess the Kweli is all right, but you need something better than the rest.

How about some Rammstein, or Lincoln Park, or Powerman 5000? THAT stuff will get you ramped up!

As for the OP, I'm with Chris. Find a workout partner. There must be ONE other person around that would do these CF workouts with you. And one is all you need.
People give me some sideways looks when i put it on the speakers at the base gym. Occasionally i'll throw on some Gaga to really weird them out.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:21 PM   #9
Bryan Hood

Profile:

I honestly can't remember the last time I worked out with someone else. I'd love to. Like Brendan, I'm usually watching people.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:21 AM   #10
Bob Cieszkowski

Profile:

I like to get my training out of the way before work so I'm usually alone in the garage early in the morning. I have no problem motivating myself and like going solo.

My wife will join me on the weekends when I tend to train a bit later in the morning. I find it helpful from the standpoint of having an extra set of eyes to keep the movements clean.