CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-23-2010, 02:35 AM   #1
Igalts Tsirulnik

Profile:
How to avoid yesterday's main page published powerlifting error?

Hi guys,
I'm new to power lifting, but I took a couple of hours of private coaching to learn the basic techniques and now I'm practicing my skills for a while, using low weight before I'll start adding more.

The thing is - the coach told me I use my biceps instead of hips and and the power generated from the 'shrug' whenever I clean or snatch.
any advice on how to avoid that (without taking more private coaching)?
Old 04-23-2010, 03:56 AM   #2
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Re: How to avoid yesterday's main page published powerlifting error?

Just a thought...grip the bar light enough to not squeeze the life out of it but hard enough so it doesn't fall out of your grip. Perhaps you are trying to muscle it engaging your biceps to pull it rather than just shrugging your shoulders with the hip extension.

Remember the cue, " arms like ropes. "

You can either drill the Snatch via the Burgener WU with PVC or you can even do it without a piece of PVC.

I have an idea to maybe use a piece of rope. Hmm...
Old 04-23-2010, 05:12 AM   #3
Ray Ambury

Profile:

Best thing is probably to video yourself doing it and upload that. Since you said power lifting I'm assuming it's also power cleans and snatches rather than squat cleans and snatches?

Blair, I've not heard that arms like ropes thing before. I had a quick scout around the internet but didn't see anything on it and I'm just trying to get my head around what exactly it means. Cleans are something I really want to improve (and snatches but more concerned about cleans).

One piece of advice I was given that helped me with my cleans was not to fire straight away. The very start of the motion is a smooth pull off the floor and then you shoot into the movement. I find it hard to explain and can't remember how it was said to me but it has worked well.

Sorry if that isn't much help but mainly I want to understand the arms like ropes thing Blair mentioned.

Edit: found it. Link that mentions it here. It's on page 4 at the bottom. The whole thing should be useful for both of us Igalts

Last edited by Ray Ambury : 04-23-2010 at 05:15 AM. Reason: Found what I was after
Old 04-23-2010, 06:46 AM   #4
Nic Kirkland

Profile:

First off, let me nitpick. Power lifting= bench, back squat, deadlift. I agree with Rippetoe that this should be called strengthlifting, not powerlifting.

Weight lift= Clean and Jerk, Snatch. As part of this you may do deadlifts, back squats, front squats, presses, and jerks.

Ok, to answer your question. Do the Burgener warm-up a couple of times a week and every time before a WOD with cleans or snatches of any kind. Do it with PVC at first, but you can definitely progress to using a bar and then some weight once you've got it down. That routine is designed to teach you to reach full extension before you bend the arms. You can also do pulls from the ground (deadlift) and finish with a shrug. If you can do that without bending your arms, you should be able to transition into the clean/snatch better.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:10 AM   #5
Chris Walls

Profile:

Also use the hook grip. This will give you a strong grip on the bar without squeezing it, keeping your arms loose to be fast around the bar. Also, it's hard to pull on it with your arms if you aren't squeezing it.

Also, try to think of the shrug not as part of elevating the bar, but what gets you around the bar to catch it. So you jump and shrug yourself around the bar as you pull under it.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:56 AM   #6
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Ambury View Post

Blair, I've not heard that arms like ropes thing before. I had a quick scout around the internet but didn't see anything on it and I'm just trying to get my head around what exactly it means. Cleans are something I really want to improve (and snatches but more concerned about cleans).

Sorry if that isn't much help but mainly I want to understand the arms like ropes thing Blair mentioned.

Edit: found it. Link that mentions it here. It's on page 4 at the bottom. The whole thing should be useful for both of us Igalts

Actually the description in that article of "arms like ropes" is on page 2 under "Arms bend, power ends"

Which is what the OP's coach was telling him...you were pulling EARLY with your arms (using your biceps as he said). This means you cannot translate your real power from the hips to the bar as the tension is gone.
Old 04-24-2010, 03:20 AM   #7
Igalts Tsirulnik

Profile:

Thanks guys, i'm on it
Old 04-24-2010, 03:56 AM   #8
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

You can also work on high pulls, hang cleans, and high-hang cleans. Those seemed to help me.
Old 04-24-2010, 12:26 PM   #9
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Aush, thanks, I am familiar with the cue, "arms like ropes".

Using a rope instead of PVC means you have to keep it taught enough to be stiff yet a light grip, or so I think.

Igalts, here are my notes on the Snatch from a clinic in January:

WFS http://blairbob.wordpress.com/2010/0...minar-1-24-10/

Note the tempo cue, "my tempo mantra is slow-go-boom" This works for me but basically, 1-2-3...
Old 04-24-2010, 12:50 PM   #10
Drew Cloutier

Profile:

Still confused on if the guy is actually in POWERLIFTING or WEIGHTLIFTING...because if he's really into powerlifting...wondering why he's working on those lifts and not the big 3.