CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-01-2010, 08:55 PM   #1
Tony J Gatecliff

Profile:
Yogurt?

How healthy is yogurt for you?
I know it has a some protein, mostly carbs though which probably comes from the sugar in it but in the end though is it a healthy snack choice??
BTW I am talking about like source brand yogurt and optimal, those "regular" kind of yogurts I guess you could say.

Thanks
Old 02-01-2010, 09:47 PM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Yogurt?

Read labels. Traditional yogurt -- the stuff your nomadic herding ancestors made because they didn't have refrigeration -- is fine. Modern yogurt usually is mostly sugar and additives, and therefore no healthier than ice cream or a milk shake.

(Not that there's anything wrong with ice cream, IMO, as long as you're realistic about it.)

Of course, much depends on how you define "healthy." Some people will tell you that dairy products are not paleo and should be avoided. Some people will tell you that dairy products have lots of fat, and should be avoided. Some people will tell you that non-fat versions of dairy products are disgusting and should be avoided. So first you have to define your dietary philosophy. But traditional yogurt fits a diet based on whole foods quite well, while modern yogurt does not.

Katherine
Old 02-01-2010, 10:10 PM   #3
Bobby Nauss

Profile:

What about Greek Yogurt? My wife told me that it actually has a pretty high protein count. I have never looked at the label though....
Old 02-02-2010, 03:55 AM   #4
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Nauss View Post
What about Greek Yogurt? My wife told me that it actually has a pretty high protein count. I have never looked at the label though....
Greek yogurt does have more protein, around 16 grams a serving. Get the plain to avoid added sugars and add your own fresh fruit instead.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:43 AM   #5
Greg Privitera

Profile:

I'd also note the fat content of Greek yogurt, its extremely high if you get the full fat kind. Especially high in saturated fat (Yes you need Saturated fat but not loads and loads of it - keep it in proportion).
Old 02-02-2010, 08:54 AM   #6
Meghan Reid

Profile:

I'm not doing dairy right now, but when I do, I stick to plain Fage Greek yogurt with cinnamon mixed in for extra flavor. The 2% is my favorite. I like a little fat to keep me satiated which is why I don't get the fat free version, but the Fage Total (full-fat, 16 or so grams saturated) is just too thick for me. I can't even finish a cup. Other than that, +1 to Katherine, Greg and everyone else.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:03 PM   #7
Daniel Dean

Profile:

Just make sure you get plain varieties, anything pre-flavored is going to have tons of sugar. The ingredient list should have cultured milk, live & active cultures (ex. L. BULGARICUS, S. THERMOPHILUS, L. ACIDOPHILUS, B. BIFIDUS,
L. CASEI) and nothing else. Skip anything non-fat.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:13 PM   #8
Kevin McGuinness

Profile:

Fat-free Greek Yogurt is one of my favorite snacks. The plain (unflavored, no sugar added) varieties are a tad bitter but still palatable. Chobani makes plain and flavored varieties which are my favorite.

They have a little added sugar but are still fat free, have 15g of protein, and only 20g of sugar in each little individual serving cup.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:45 PM   #9
Renee Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin McGuinness View Post
Fat-free Greek Yogurt is one of my favorite snacks. The plain (unflavored, no sugar added) varieties are a tad bitter but still palatable. Chobani makes plain and flavored varieties which are my favorite.

They have a little added sugar but are still fat free, have 15g of protein, and only 20g of sugar in each little individual serving cup.
...fat is good