CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 03-03-2008, 01:19 PM   #1
Matthew Edwards

Profile:
Squat form error - shoulder dip/twist?

Hi All,

While doing my workout this weekend I videotaped my squat for some visual feedback and to eventually post on here (once I can get the damn thing to convert over to a usable file). From the side, they look pretty good, but at the end I took a video from the back. Camera was pretty close as I couldn't get it any further away, but it was good enough for me to notice something quite alarming. My right shoulder is significantly lower when I am descending in the squat, and it looks more like I am dipping and twisting forward with that shoulder, not that i am just leaning to the right. Obviously this is a form error, but what the heck could be causing that? In other posts on here I have sought advice about my back, which I am currently undergoing massage therapy for. It bothers me on the right side, and I have tighter and stronger erector on the right side and also a stronger left leg/hip. I was checking from the back as I feel like I tend to shift weight to the left when I am coming up, but I had no idea I was leaning and twisting to the right like that.

Could shiftign to the left hip cause that? Overtight erector pulling that side? I am going to video again tonight and see at what weight this begins to occur.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:49 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Squat form error - shoulder dip/twist?

Probably an imbalance in your posterior chain. If the hams, glutes, quads, lower back all don't fire with the same intensity it's gonna shift/tilt/rotate/etc. you.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:01 AM   #3
Matthew Edwards

Profile:
Re: Squat form error - shoulder dip/twist?

Is this something that is going to take sheer willpower and a lot of time spent at lower weights to fix or is it a massage therapy type thing?