CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-19-2008, 07:18 AM   #1
Jeff Mouland

Profile:
Multi Vitamin a Waste of Money?

I read the following ...

http://www.dietitian.com/vitamins.html (WS) Down at the Bottom

"Your body can absorb around 10 to 15% of the nutrients in a vitamin pill. The rest goes down the toilet as urine. So for every $10.00 you spend on supplements, you could be flushing $8.50 down the toilet. Your money would be better spent on food. The human body prefers to take a food, break it down and take the nutrients it needs. Remember that you are dealing with a cave person's body. I think you are depending too heavily on the supplement and not giving enough credit to the nutrients in your food."

How true is this?
Old 01-19-2008, 07:27 AM   #2
Joe Waguespack

Profile:
Re: Multi Vitamin a Waste of Money?

I have pretty much gotten off most supps. lately. I still take a multi an EFA supp , and some BCAA's though. I guess I feel it's better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it. The multi I take ,Orange Triad from Controlled Labs, also has a joint support formula and an immune support formula in it as well.
Old 01-19-2008, 07:50 AM   #3
Scott Dyck

Profile:

You're right, most over the counter vitamin supplements will give you the most expensive urine on the block.
I've pretty much gotten off of supplements, too. The only one I take anymore is CLA, and only because it helps me a little with salty and sweet cravings. I eat tons and tons of raw veggies, fruit, and lean meat so I figure I'm getting the vitamins taken care of, and enough fat to absorb the fat soluble nutrients.
If you are going to take vitamin supplements, from what I understand the esterified versions are much more efficiently absorbed. But I'm no expert.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:06 AM   #4
Craig Brown

Profile:

Then there are studies that prostate cancer grows worse faster in men who take a multi. You'd have to search for it, but I found something on that randomly about a year ago.

Craig
Old 01-19-2008, 09:32 AM   #5
Ken Froese

Profile:

It all depends on where you are getting your food from. Does an orange that was picked green and chemically ripened have the same vitamin c content as an orange that was tree ripened? What about farm raised fish VS wild? The food that is available today, has been raped of its nutrients compared to 75 years ago.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:38 AM   #6
Joe Waguespack

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Froese View Post
It all depends on where you are getting your food from. Does an orange that was picked green and chemically ripened have the same vitamin c content as an orange that was tree ripened? What about farm raised fish VS wild? The food that is available today, has been raped of its nutrients compared to 75 years ago.
I agree there. Unless you are raising your own animals for protein and growing your own fruits and vegetables, you really do not know what you are eating. Even "organic" foods are such a huge industry these days, and personally I'm a little leery of anything that is being produced for a mass demand. Corners will be cut somewhere. But I guess it's a big contradiction because for that matter how do we know what the quality of our Multi vitamins and supplements are? I guess the only way to be sure is to become a farmer.LOL
Old 01-19-2008, 09:57 AM   #7
Bryant A Buchanan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Waguespack View Post
I agree there. Unless you are raising your own animals for protein and growing your own fruits and vegetables, you really do not know what you are eating. Even "organic" foods are such a huge industry these days, and personally I'm a little leery of anything that is being produced for a mass demand. Corners will be cut somewhere. But I guess it's a big contradiction because for that matter how do we know what the quality of our Multi vitamins and supplements are? I guess the only way to be sure is to become a farmer.LOL

I use the multi called orange triad from controlled labs as well as fish oil and Beta-Alanine and Creatine. I honestly think all these supplements work and even if they don't in my mind they work (placebo effect) so I have been doing good. In fact I am the heaviest yet leanest I have ever been in my life. And the only variables next to a zone diet where I don't actually follow the zone but use fitday to add up my macros to as close to 40/30/30 as I can get daily. Is the Orange Triad and Beta Alanine because I have use creatine off and on for a few years.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:03 AM   #8
Brandon Oto

Profile:

I'd like to see the studies that provided this information on multivitamin micronutrient absorption; you see it thrown around a lot, but never with a mention of where it came from.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:05 AM   #9
Joe Waguespack

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryant A Buchanan View Post
I use the multi called orange triad from controlled labs as well as fish oil and Beta-Alanine and Creatine. I honestly think all these supplements work and even if they don't in my mind they work (placebo effect) so I have been doing good. In fact I am the heaviest yet leanest I have ever been in my life. And the only variables next to a zone diet where I don't actually follow the zone but use fitday to add up my macros to as close to 40/30/30 as I can get daily. Is the Orange Triad and Beta Alanine because I have use creatine off and on for a few years.
Thats the multi I take also, Orange Triad, I do think that Controlled Labs puts out some very good products. What form of Beta Alanine product are you using? I used White Flood in the past and really liked it.

Last edited by Joe Waguespack : 01-19-2008 at 10:07 AM.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:18 AM   #10
Bryant A Buchanan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Waguespack View Post
Thats the multi I take also, Orange Triad, I do think that Controlled Labs puts out some very good products. What form of Beta Alanine product are you using? I used White Flood in the past and really liked it.
I was a fan of CL from when I used Purple Wraath I also have some green mag but I haven't been using it. The Beta Alanine I use right now is 1fast400 I used PrimaForce before that. I am convinced that Beta Alanine and Creatine would be the greatest supplement stack for a crossfitter mixed with a zone diet and results will be awesome.