CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-09-2008, 03:07 AM   #1
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:
Jog or row on rest day

Is it ok if I go for a short easy jog or row on a rest day or am I setting myself up for an injury? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:51 AM   #2
Cal Jones

Profile:
Re: Jog or row on rest day

Everyone is different - some people can hack working out every day, and others can't. I personally can't even handle the prescribed 3 on 1 off without burning out or getting injured, let alone jogging on my day off, but you have to figure out your own limits. Personally, I would advise you to rest on your rest day to ensure you are fresh for the next workout - you might be able to handle it, but your performance the following day may not be optimal.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:02 AM   #3
Tim Dewey

Profile:

FWIW, I have no problem whatsoever taking a short (15-20 min) row on off days. I'm 58. have arthritus in the right hip, and it really helps loosen things up. I just keep it moderate and consider it active rest rather than a workout
Old 01-09-2008, 05:33 AM   #4
Marc McLellan

Profile:

I run often.

I did a little over 7 mile run after the Power Cleans the other day. I do some ruck runs and regular runs including the holiday 5k's they have here.

I do extra running but not at the expense of sacraficing the WOD.

For me, the WOD is where the money is.

JMO,

Marc
Old 01-09-2008, 10:08 AM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

If it doesn't tax you much pretty much ANYTHING can be good recovery work.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:20 PM   #6
Artem Sivak

Profile:

I've found out that doing light workout helps me recover faster. Rowing, mountain biking, pullups and pushups are my favorites so far. Just make sure that after whatever you do, you take a hot/cold shower. Helps the blood flow, allowing the muscles to recover faster.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:08 PM   #7
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:

Yeah, my recovery seems to have been better. I hit a PR on dumbell bench for example. My routine is sort of a ME Black Box right now, w/ the 1st day being the heavy weights day. I read somewhere that a 10 min jog is optimal for recovery.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:08 AM   #8
Derek Weaver

Profile:

I am a big fan of active rest. It's important to remember that it's a rest day for a reason and that whatever you do should be done at a light to moderate pace. If a 5k beats the hell out of you, then make it something like 1.5 miles instead.

That and contrast showers are great for recovery. anything to get the blood flowing. I also do think that it's important to take a day every now and then and veg out.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:12 AM   #9
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post
I am a big fan of active rest. It's important to remember that it's a rest day for a reason and that whatever you do should be done at a light to moderate pace. If a 5k beats the hell out of you, then make it something like 1.5 miles instead.

That and contrast showers are great for recovery. anything to get the blood flowing. I also do think that it's important to take a day every now and then and veg out.
Agreed. I don't know how far I run. I just go outside and run for 10-30 minutes. 5-15 mins one way and back.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:36 AM   #10
Carlos Cristan

Profile:

I've been doing the workouts off the Main Page for 5 weeks not missing any, but I've been behind the whole time and skipping rest days to catch up. I'll do Cindy today and the next Rest Day that comes up and everyone after that I'm gonna start doing 5k runs. Not exactly active rest as I'll be working for speed and to lower my time (PR's).