CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2007, 12:20 PM   #1
andy atkins
Member andy atkins is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Lewisville  TX
Posts: 14
AFPA personal Trainer Cert

I'm looking to get a mainstream cert to add some credibilty. I'm never going to try and get a job as a trainer at 24hr or Gold's. I just want initials to put behind my name. Is anyone familiar with AFPA. It costs $335 and looks like a mail in test. Yes, I do plan on getting Crossfit Cert, but I want some mainstream cred and ease on insurance.

Thanks.

www.undergroundfitclub.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 12:22 PM   #2
andy atkins
Member andy atkins is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Lewisville  TX
Posts: 14
Re: AFPA personal Trainer Cert

Oh and the price includes two textbooks, two dvds, a cd, and the exam.

http://www.afpafitness.com/store/ind...ndex&cPath=1_3
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 05:51 PM   #3
Matt DeMinico
Affiliate Matt DeMinico is offline
 
Matt DeMinico's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sterling Heights  MI
Posts: 1,939
Re: AFPA personal Trainer Cert

My thoughts are this (take it with a grain of salt):
- Attend a CF Cert ASAP
- Buy the NSCA's book (textbook) and read/study it to get info on the minute details of personal training.
- Take the NSCA's exam to CYA and say "you know your stuff". If money is an issue, there's some cheapo exam out there that you take online without even registering, then once you pass it, you pay for it. It's CHEAP but it says "certified personal trainer", don't know what it's worth, but it lets you say you're certified as a personal trainer.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 05:00 AM   #4
David Long
Member David Long is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ocean City  MD
Posts: 185
Re: AFPA personal Trainer Cert

I like NSCA. It looks at O-Lifts, and a lot of conditioning vs. machine based fitness. AFPA is not a bad thing, but very light on content and not demanding.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 05:01 AM   #5
Jonathan Thomas Powers
Member Jonathan Thomas Powers is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hartford  CT
Posts: 182
Re: AFPA personal Trainer Cert

My .02

If you want to get excellent results you will strive for excellence.

NSCA is a good solid respectable agency. So are ACSM, NASM, and ACE. I wouldn't suggest getting your first Cert from anyone else. Having taken one of these in combination with CF, you will get a much more well rounded view of the world of Training and some real useable knowledge.

I cant wait for the day when there is a State level Cert that everyone must pass first before specializing in say CF or whatever. It will ensure a level of competence and safety that the industry just doesn't have right know.

IMO, and please don't take this the wrong way. Having any old letters after your name should not add any respect to your service and the fact that it is so easy to do the bare minimum and still call oneself a competent trainer makes me nauseus.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 07:44 AM   #6
Matt DeMinico
Affiliate Matt DeMinico is offline
 
Matt DeMinico's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sterling Heights  MI
Posts: 1,939
Re: AFPA personal Trainer Cert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Thomas Powers View Post
My .02

If you want to get excellent results you will strive for excellence.

NSCA is a good solid respectable agency. So are ACSM, NASM, and ACE. I wouldn't suggest getting your first Cert from anyone else. Having taken one of these in combination with CF, you will get a much more well rounded view of the world of Training and some real useable knowledge.

I cant wait for the day when there is a State level Cert that everyone must pass first before specializing in say CF or whatever. It will ensure a level of competence and safety that the industry just doesn't have right know.

IMO, and please don't take this the wrong way. Having any old letters after your name should not add any respect to your service and the fact that it is so easy to do the bare minimum and still call oneself a competent trainer makes me nauseus.
Being CF certified in my book makes one a competent trainer, not the letters. But the rest of the world says "but you're not a 'certified personal trainer', you're just 'crossfit certified'", hence the letters after your name with a cheapo exam to lend some credibility to the "normal world" crowd.

And I for one can't believe that in this country of granny government, we've STILL got the God-given ability to do personal training without going through some granny government oversight committee making sure we're up to their standards. It's a free market nation (well, it's supposed to be), and it's "caveat emptor", buyer beware. If I want to hire a certified massage therapist, I will ask them, and I will pay the premium for that certification. But if I want to hire someone who's done self study, but comes recommended by twelve people I know, then I will "risk" it and pay whatever that person happens to be asking, more or less, whatever. But I can guarantee you that if that person had to schmooze some government schmuck to get a certification, their price would go up.

Seriously, think about it, do you think the government and lab-coat scientists know fitness better than you do? Then why would we want THEM to make the rules on what's a "correct" certification to hold and "correct" fitness principles to teach? Then, even if you get their "certification" but teach something different, you're ripe for getting sued. Or, what if coach had to go through government loopholes to get the Crossfit style of training accredited for government certification, and they said "we be in power, we say that's dangerous, you can't do that"?
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 08:50 AM   #7
Craig Takahiro Descoteaux
Affiliate Craig Takahiro Descoteaux is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Jenks  OK
Posts: 118
Re: AFPA personal Trainer Cert

as a NSCA-CSCS and CPT certified trainer for both venues - personal training at a private university and sport performance training at a local facility - i must say it is important to have a very recognized certification. ( ACSM,NASPM,NSCA, etc.) I don't recongize the accreditation so I would be very weary of any trainer holding that cert. (because the test is a take home- I checked the site)

But never does the NSCA ever say i have to train this way or get sued. What is does set are training principles that are scientifically tested and re-tested and re-tested. i recieve two peer reveiwed journals from the NSCA, a training and science base, this keeps me updated on current changes in the fitness field.

Cross fit follows the same principles as what is been taught to me at school, certs, and work place. it is just a very creative and functional way of program design. Yes there are some holes- check the forums of strength gains, nutrition, muscle mass gains, sport specific- crossfit does not cover everything, but it allows for anyone to change the program to fit thier needs.


How do you think the Glassman's first started their training? What is their background and certs? Are they currently seeking more certs?
__________________
Craig T. Descoteaux BS, CSCS-CPT, Crossfit I, USAW, NSAM CPT, CrossFit Kids, CrossFit Football, CrossFit Endurance, CrossFit Mobility
craig@crossfiteclipse.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 01:17 PM   #8
Jonathan Thomas Powers
Member Jonathan Thomas Powers is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hartford  CT
Posts: 182
Re: AFPA personal Trainer Cert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt DeMinico View Post
Being CF certified in my book makes one a competent trainer, not the letters. But the rest of the world says "but you're not a 'certified personal trainer', you're just 'crossfit certified'", hence the letters after your name with a cheapo exam to lend some credibility to the "normal world" crowd.

And I for one can't believe that in this country of granny government, we've STILL got the God-given ability to do personal training without going through some granny government oversight committee making sure we're up to their standards. It's a free market nation (well, it's supposed to be), and it's "caveat emptor", buyer beware. If I want to hire a certified massage therapist, I will ask them, and I will pay the premium for that certification. But if I want to hire someone who's done self study, but comes recommended by twelve people I know, then I will "risk" it and pay whatever that person happens to be asking, more or less, whatever. But I can guarantee you that if that person had to schmooze some government schmuck to get a certification, their price would go up.

Seriously, think about it, do you think the government and lab-coat scientists know fitness better than you do? Then why would we want THEM to make the rules on what's a "correct" certification to hold and "correct" fitness principles to teach? Then, even if you get their "certification" but teach something different, you're ripe for getting sued. Or, what if coach had to go through government loopholes to get the Crossfit style of training accredited for government certification, and they said "we be in power, we say that's dangerous, you can't do that"?


Like I suggested a state run certification would guaruntee a certain level of proficiency while simultaneously getting us "into the system" Right now most trainers no matter who they are certified with have a hard time working with Therapists, Doctors etc and as you stated even a Massage therapist is State Certified. Why not trainers? Why wouldn't you want a premium paid to you beacuse of your State Cert.


It would not take away things like crossfit Matt it would allow them to be specializations, and like I said before it would prevent someone from taking an AFAA exam and calling themselves a "Trainer" which clearly helps promote the idea of the "Big Box" type trainer who gets paid nothing and forced into any type of scam the Ballys owner can think of to get the money.

Think about wo is stae certified. Doctors, Lawyers, Accountants, Teachers. It would be a very good thing for that day to come, and trust me you wont lose CrossFit.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 01:50 PM   #9
Matt DeMinico
Affiliate Matt DeMinico is offline
 
Matt DeMinico's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sterling Heights  MI
Posts: 1,939
Re: AFPA personal Trainer Cert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Thomas Powers View Post
Like I suggested a state run certification would guaruntee a certain level of proficiency while simultaneously getting us "into the system" Right now most trainers no matter who they are certified with have a hard time working with Therapists, Doctors etc and as you stated even a Massage therapist is State Certified. Why not trainers? Why wouldn't you want a premium paid to you beacuse of your State Cert.


It would not take away things like crossfit Matt it would allow them to be specializations, and like I said before it would prevent someone from taking an AFAA exam and calling themselves a "Trainer" which clearly helps promote the idea of the "Big Box" type trainer who gets paid nothing and forced into any type of scam the Ballys owner can think of to get the money.

Think about wo is stae certified. Doctors, Lawyers, Accountants, Teachers. It would be a very good thing for that day to come, and trust me you wont lose CrossFit.
I wouldn't want a state certification period. If I wanted a premium paid to me due to a certification, it would be a private organization's certification that I chose to follow, not a government who says I have to have some sort of certification to be a trainer.

Basically, I don't care if someone with an AFAA certification calls themselves a trainer, I'll let my results speak for themselves.

As far as massage therapists are concerned, they're not required to hold any cert, at least not that I know of, and I'm glad that they don't. If I want to hire a certified person, I'll ask them if they're certified. If not, I won't care who I hire, certified or not, I'll base my decision on their service, not on whether the government says that person is "fit to do business".
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 03:02 PM   #10
Randy Tarasevich
Affiliate Randy Tarasevich is offline
 
Randy Tarasevich's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Norwich  CT
Posts: 1,632
Re: AFPA personal Trainer Cert

I used to think that having the state mandate licensing for trainers was a good thing, and it might be. However, state licensure is not gauranteed to solve the "hack trainer" problem. Contractors and Real Estate Agents (carpenters, HVAC, etc.) are supposed to have state licenses and look at how many hacks are in these professions. Even nurses and doctors who you would think are professionals can be hacks. Bottom line, state licensure is not necessarily a cure-all.
__________________
www.sectcrossfit.com
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
So I HAVE to use my personal trainer. Shane Bradbury Fitness 27 11-10-2007 03:27 PM
Crossfit meets Personal Trainer Mitchell Brown Fitness 31 01-09-2007 02:59 PM
Finding a personal trainer Franklin Shogie Community 1 11-09-2006 06:23 PM
Personal Trainer for Oly lifting? Chuck Pelowski Fitness 4 06-16-2005 08:06 PM
Personal trainer (soon to be) Roy Starting 7 12-17-2003 11:15 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.