CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-08-2007, 10:51 AM   #1
Shane Bradbury

Profile:
So I HAVE to use my personal trainer.

I posted before a month or so on how I'm in college for Fitness Lifestyle Management. The program has been alright so far, I learn much more from Crossfit in 5 minutes from 3 hours of lecture. But anywayyyyys... All the first year students are paired with a second year student, the second year acting as your personal trainer. WE meet once a week (thursdays from 9-10)I got in trouble today for arguing about what she makes me do. I keep asking to work on Lifting or a do WOD, but that isn't allowed. She asks for goals, so I say 'Well I need to work on my handstands and gymnastics and body control etc..' Well I'm not allowed to do that. Same goes for ANY heavy lifting besides the bench press. We've worked a little something out now, I told her I'd be alright with working on my balance, but we can only use stability balls and the like.
I do admit sometimes I can be a little controlling, but I refuse to do a machine based circuit set. Or tricep extensions. Or bicep curls. Etc... You guys get the idea. I'm wondering if maybe I'm being too much of an A-hole. Should I just do what she says, without trying to Cf modify everything? All comments welcome, thanks guys.

-shane
Old 11-08-2007, 10:58 AM   #2
Leonid Soubbotine

Profile:
Re: So I HAVE to use my personal trainer.

Plant the virus in her. Comply with what she makes you do and show her little bits here and there. Talk about ME BB and adding CF type circuits as cardio.

It'll take time, yet it's pretty simple to convert even the stubborn ones.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:13 AM   #3
Gant Grimes

Profile:

A graded course is no place to make a principled stand. Learn the material, go through the motions, and get your grade. It's also good practice for being a trainer. You'll have many clients that are uncomfortable at first with CF. Take this time to explain the principles to your "trainer" while doing other exercises.

It's not all a waste. If you can't CF, tell her your goals are to be an OLY champion. Clue her in to mikesgym.org for programming. You're in college, man. Spend all the time you can learning about snatch.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:48 AM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

The best way to convince someone that some exercises are "less useful" is just to answer with a question:

Why would I do a biceps curl when I can do a pullup which works my biceps AND my lats and back?
Why would I do a triceps extension when I can do a dip which works triceps, anterior deltoids and pecs?
Why should I do leg extensions when one of my goals is to work on balance which the squat provides in addition to execising my legs?

Sucks though. More or less what Gant said is generally true. If it comes down to your grade just get the grade but keep everything in perspective -- this is what most 'trainers' and 'clients' are looking for because they don't know anything. Oly lifting champion sounds good though... that'll be able to let you do some oly lifting perhaps, lol.

Also, if you have to do the workouts with her do upper body and skip legs (it seems like you can do some good compounds with upper body probably) and then come back later and squat if you need to.

Last edited by Steven Low : 11-08-2007 at 11:51 AM.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:57 AM   #5
Sean McMaster

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gant Grimes View Post
Spend all the time you can learning about snatch.

Gant, you kill me man.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:13 PM   #6
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:

I'd play it up, get really excited about the dinky exercises she wants you to do, ask a lot of really stupid but enthusiastic questions, follow her around like a puppy dog, tell everyone within earshot that she is your professional trainer, etc, etc.

It's one hour in a gym instead of a classroom ... try not to take it too seriously.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:36 PM   #7
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

I'll chime in on this man because I went to a local gym yesterday since I didn't have anything to do. In fact, I'm supposed to go back at 3 today. Not likely with the errands I still have to run.

Anyways, so we went over the introduction and some goal setting. I'd like to tone up and firm and he had the audacity to tell me I probably need more muscle mass. Couldn't get the point of I wanted more cross sectional strength for gymnastics and to lighten up.

So, then he showed me what their basic workout was that he reccomended. He asked if I like doing cardio. I told him not really ( bare in mind he had never heard of crossfit when I said that's what I do for metcon ). So he had me spend some time on an elliptical. Interesting to warmup on. Supposed to start the program with 10 minutes on that, gradually increasing 1 minute every, well I dunno because I never liked doing more than 15 on an elliptical ( and that's with doing hills, backwards, sprints, whatnot ).

Next there was some line of 10 machines that are supposed to be banged out, circuit fashion. He took me over to the dip press one, loaded up maybe 75 pounds, and asked me how it felt. Maybe it was a 100, but I loaded one of these to 300 at 24Hr with a friend. It was fun, but I told him I could already bang out dips. There was some other machines, we walked past. I think he said the basic program was to do this for 2 or 3 rounds, non stop.

Basically that was the simple 30 minute program ( oh, forgot, supposed to end on some ab machine that I said was lame and I'd rather just do leg lifts like the other guy was doing or roman chairs ) , and he asked me if I could do this, 3x a week. I told him, I could do it, but wouldn't want to since I wanted to lift heavy weights since I didn't have access to them. He said it was ok if I wanted to shoulder presses but didn't seem to understand about Olympic Lifting. But didn't say no.

So in part, I was being something of an a-hole. Basically, I was ignoring what they thought they knew and dismissing, but that's really their knowledge base.

I think the best thing is to just nod and grin like I tell the kids, and go do what you're really going to do. While it's commendable, waste not-want not. Let them come find it.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:43 PM   #8
Rahsaan Kimbrow

Profile:

Grant is correct...... the most important thing is...... is she cute(or have cute friends)? ?
Old 11-08-2007, 01:24 PM   #9
John Seiler

Profile:

Well it's pretty obvious that in this situation you are there for her learn and not vice-versa. In other words, you're a free lab rat for her hone her 'craft'. Like Gant said, this isn't the place to play Patrick Henry. Just go with it.

Do you have any muscle imbalances, flexiblity problems, etc. you could spend this time working on? That's a legit thing for her to need to practice and your time wouldn't be wasted.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:37 PM   #10
Tristan Warneke

Profile:

One direction you could try to go with it, especially if you have been stubborn already, is to do a complete give-in, but with a catch. Tell her that you will do everything she tells you to do without any complaining (and do mean it) if she'll do 10 minutes of your idea for a workout (Crossfit) with you towards the end of the hour. Then throw in Fran or a half-Cindy and see what she thinks. If you can get this to happen on multiple weeks, you might have a convert. Of course she just might stick it to you yet and fighting her will probably just make your grade suffer.