CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-06-2007, 10:04 AM   #1
Ryan Sears

Profile:
Foods that promote muscle growth

Dear crossfit land,

I've gotten back into crossfit and have been doing it for about 2.5 weeks now. I'm a relatively skinny guy (5'9, 148lbs) and want to put on some muscle mass. (10-15lbs) I understand the consept of eating more and getting enough protein (1 gram per body weight?) but after that I'm not real sure. I was wondering what some foods (drinks) that promote muscle growth are. All help is welcome.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:24 AM   #2
Jay Cohen

Profile:
Re: Foods that promote muscle growth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Sears View Post
Dear crossfit land,

I've gotten back into crossfit and have been doing it for about 2.5 weeks now. I'm a relatively skinny guy (5'9, 148lbs) and want to put on some muscle mass. (10-15lbs) I understand the consept of eating more and getting enough protein (1 gram per body weight?) but after that I'm not real sure. I was wondering what some foods (drinks) that promote muscle growth are. All help is welcome.
Read all posts, including archives on nutrition, lift heavy weights from floor to overhead, squat and eat:

Real Food, it's what's for Dinner

Jay

Last edited by Jay Cohen : 09-06-2007 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Mispelled word
Old 09-06-2007, 10:32 AM   #3
Kevin McGuinness

Profile:

Bodybuilding websites will tell you to have about 1.5 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight but that is much more than your body needs. An active male should consume about 0.8-1.0g/lb a day to promote muscle growth.

If you're looking for drinks that will help, maybe make a protein shake every morning. Either make just one to have with breakfast or make two or three and use them as inbetween meal snacks. Use things like low-fat or skim milk, low-fat yogurt, chopped up fruit (strawberries and banana's can't be beat for my money), some ice cubes, and whey protein powder to make a shake to your liking. There are recipies online but its the kind of thing where you can use your own judgement to make them. More ice or yogurt to make it thicker, more milk to thin it, and more fruit for more flavor. Experiment!

p.s. I don't follow a perscribed diet, I just try to eat relatively clean and healthy, so I don't know how this shake would fit in with the Zone. I'm a college student it's hard to keep a strict diet haha.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:42 AM   #4
Tom Fetter

Profile:

You've hit the Zone and Paleo motherlode. And will find lots of suggestions along those lines if you use the search thingy.

That said, pretty much any real food, so long as you're getting enough protein as described in earlier posts, will work. Coach Rip wrote in SS that he tries to get "skinny kids" to drink a gallon of milk daily in addition to meals. He says that if they eat well, and drink milk, he can usually get well over the weight gain you're looking for in 6 months of Starting Strength.

Coach Burgener allegedly made someone eat a peanut-butter sandwich every hour. The choice would have been either to put on weight, or cower in terror.

The real key is eating more than you need to fuel daily life. Zone folks will say that increasing your intake of good fats will help a lot - partly, no doubt, because they're such dense sources of calories.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:13 PM   #5
Eric Lester

Profile:

is that .8-1.0g per pound of body weight, or lean body mass. Also is it for your current weight/mass or where you want to be?
Old 09-06-2007, 01:47 PM   #6
Jon Gilson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lester View Post
is that .8-1.0g per pound of body weight, or lean body mass?
It should be per pound of LBM. At the same time, Ryan doesn't really need to worry about it, given the fact that he weighs in at 148 pounds. His LBM and actual weight are probably within 10-15 pounds, so 10-15 extra grams of protein aren't going to negatively affect him.

Ryan,

Some of my favorite power foods:

(Protein)
Tuna
Chicken
Steak
Various cheeses
Milk

(Fat)
Avocados
Almonds
Cashews
Macadamias

(Carbs)
Tomatoes
Apples
Strawberries
Prunes
Dried Pineapple
Carrots
Romaine Lettuce
Triscuits (what? I like Triscuits)

(Cheating, but okay if you only weigh 148)
Chocolate Milk

When you start trying to pack on the pounds, make sure you're getting approximately equal servings from each group in terms of caloric load. A good macronutrient split will keep you from gaining too much fat. Also, eat more (3000 calories + per day) and lift heavy stuff!

Keep in mind that metabolic work (i.e. most CF WODs with reps greater than 5) is going to hurt your mass gain efforts.

Good luck!

Best,

Jon
Old 09-06-2007, 02:52 PM   #7
Timothy Mark

Profile:

I can feel your pain. When I started college I was 6' tall and only weighed 134 pounds! I am now 42 and still consider myself a hard gainer. I now weigh 182 with a 34 inch waist. Crossfit is going to be the best thing you have ever done. I packed on 9 pounds in about 8 weeks and lost an inch and a half on my waist doing Crossfit like a maniac. I try to eat 1 gram of protein per body weight, mostly chicken, some beef and fish, nuts, beans, and about 1/2 gallon of milk a day. The rest of my calories come from veggies. I eat almost no sugar. I also do a protein shake an hour before the work out and then another shake immediately after finishing the WOD, before I even cool down and before I take a shower. I just pack the protein powder in my bag and either bring along some milk or mix it with coffee at the Y.

So I encourage you to go for it!
Old 09-07-2007, 07:26 AM   #8
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:

I can tell you what I did when I was young and wanted to gain weight.

Drank 1 gallon of milk throughout the day in addition to my real food. If milk agrees with you it is cheap protien supplement. I had the hard work part down but was simply not eating enough. This worked, it was easier for me to drink my calories than eat them. I also started off with a morning shake 6-12 eggs, brewers yeast, ice cream and just enough milk to thin it.

IMO many years later I would probably go about it differently but this allowed me to gain a much needed 30lbs in roughly 4 months from ~145 to 175.

I doubt many here would support this method but it worked for me.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:29 AM   #9
Ben Moskowitz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cohen View Post

Real Food, it's what's for Dinner

Jay
I LOL'd hard on this one. Great advice though.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:50 PM   #10
Alicia Michel

Profile:

jon, what do triscuits taste like?

olive oil is also your friend! pour it over your salads, your steak, your chicken, your fish, your pork, your lamb, your eggs, your sweet potatoes, your broc and cauli and brussel sprouts...