CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 07-08-2007, 11:43 AM   #1
John Seiler

Profile:
Last week I had my new SS Mountain bike stolen. I'm in the process of looking for a replacement but had an idea.

I'm just getting back into riding. The last time I rode a bike with regularity was before I got my drivers license 20+ years ago. Consequently, my bike control skills aren't what they used to be. With an adult's sense of what could go wrong, I had a difficult time trying to redevelop old skills on a full-sized bike.

So I was thinking of getting a used BMX for cheap and sharpening my skills on a smaller bike first with the hope they would transfer over when I bought the new MB. Does that make any sense?

Old 07-08-2007, 12:04 PM   #2
Andrew Thompson

Profile:
What a bummer about your new bike being stolen. I once had a mountain bike stolen from my second story balcony.

In my opinion the best way to develop skills on a mountain bike is to ride a mountain bike.

Start off on easier trails in your area. Check out mountain bike review.com at www.mtbr.com (w/f safe) and look for trail reviews. It will help give you an idea of the difficulty level. As you feel your skills progress you can move up to harder trails, or ride the same trails with more intensity.

You mentioned that your bike that was stolen was a SS. SS's are great for developing the body movements necessary on a mountain bike since you have to use a lot of momentum when on a SS.

Also check out this book (w/f safe)

http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Mountain-Skills-Brian-Lopes/dp/0736056246/ref=pd _bbs_sr_1/002-3874000-9470401?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1183921155&sr=1-1

It is a book on mountain bike skills, and is very well done.

Mountain biking is one of the best activities (in my opinion), and the best way to do it is to get out there and do it!

:biggrinthumb:
Old 07-08-2007, 06:37 PM   #3
Lara Lewis

Profile:
I hadn't really ridden a bike in years before I bought a mountain bike this summer and started riding. I really want to ride a road bike some day and do triathlons, but figured it would be easier to re-learn how to ride on a mountain bike. I've been riding on the local streets and have even began to tackle an easy trail through the woods. While my riding skills aren't the greatest, it really is "just like riding a bike" like they say.

Having said all that, I'd recommend getting a cheaper, maybe used MTB that you don't mind beating up a little while you gain new skills.

:happy:

Old 07-10-2007, 10:55 AM   #4
Scott Hagnas

Profile:
John-

The skills will transfer, but they are two very different animals. Your skills will probably come back quicker on a BMX bike if that is where you learned them in the first place.

If you really just want to ride a MTB, I'd probably just try to find a cheap one. If you'd like to do a little BMX, though, I'd get a bike and try it.

Scotty Hagnas
CrossFit Portland
Old 07-10-2007, 02:51 PM   #5
John Seiler

Profile:
Thanks all. I guess I was just thinking that from a condfidence standpoint I'd feel more comfortable trying even basic stunts on a smaller bike that would be easier to dump. I turn 40 next month and the mind seems less willing to accept risk. :-)