CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 04-30-2007, 04:26 AM   #1
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:
What's a good bike to ride around in? What is a good brand? Thanks in advance.

(Message edited by jay123 on April 30, 2007)
Old 04-30-2007, 06:56 AM   #2
Chris Lampe

Profile:
Jason,

If you are in the U.S. I would recommend purchasing from a bike shop. They will make sure the bike fits you correctly (fit is very important!!) and will make modifications to satisfy your needs. Having said that, I've owned and been extremely pleased with a TREK and a Raleigh and I've heard very good things about Cannondales. Some other "name" brand bikes include Giant and Schwinn. I'm sure there many others but those are all I could think of off-hand. I will be purchasing in the very near future and TREK and Raleigh will be the first models I look at. In fact, I'm currently riding a 1995 Trek and I plan to give it to my dad and I'm sure he'll get years more use out of it. It's been a fantastic bike!

You probably won't go wrong with anything from a dedicated bike shop.

(Message edited by corwin1968 on April 30, 2007)
Old 04-30-2007, 08:37 AM   #3
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Jason - Can o worms. How much money do you want to spend? How serious are your riding intentions? If you want stiff and responsive aluminum is the way to go. If you like a more compliant ride steel is good as is carbon fiber but that can get pretty expensive. Titanium rocks but is pretty spendy, my Litespeed Vortex costs as much as a Kia. Your posts sounds more focused on a casual sort of ride with weight, frame specs and fork composition not among your concerns.

Chris is correct about the bike shop. Don't go to Gart or Big 5, go to a good bike shope and establish a customer relationship with them. Your riding style and budget will clue them in on what you should put between your legs and they will fit you to exactly what suits you. This is like asking what kind of pants to buy or what you should have for dinner. A bicycle is a very personal choice.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:50 AM   #4
David Bennett

Profile:
Jason, is there any particular use you have in mind for a bicycle? Commuting? Road racing? Cyclocross?

I echo Chris's advice. Go to a dedicated bike shop. Even the lowest priced Treks, Specialized and Raleighs will give you years of good service.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:15 AM   #5
John Nolan

Profile:
Jason,
what they said...really. Remember, you will get what you pay for...another thing to think about is how much time you plan on spending on it. If you low-ball on quality you can find yourself in a few months wanting something more or less.

Eugene,
I knew there was something I liked about you!!! I have a Vortex hanging in the garage as well.

John
Old 04-30-2007, 12:19 PM   #6
John Seiler

Profile:
Jason,
I just picked up a Redline Monocog -a single-speed steel MB. (There was a good article about single-speeds in a CFJ last year.) As a single-speed it'll make you work, but it's fun and about as bomb-proof as a bike will get. A nice thing about singles? Just get on and ride. They're reasonably priced ~$450-$500 and look pretty cool in the olive-green paint.

Some work and family safe reviews: http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/singlesp...t_123805.shtml
Old 04-30-2007, 04:14 PM   #7
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:
I'm looking to commute and maybe ride some trails. I have no experience with bikes besides what I've seen at a K-Mart. I'm looking for a decent all around bike, not top of the line, expensive or any of that, but that will get the job done and won't break. I'll go check out the bike shops.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:23 PM   #8
Chris Lampe

Profile:
I'll probably be pilloried by the serious bikers but I'm a big fan of hybrids for the casual but serious (oxy-moron?) hobbyist. I live two blocks from a lake that has a 9.5 mile paved bike path as well as several miles of winding dirt roads that run along the water's edge. My hybrid does well on both. I will add that I would not ride it "cross-country" and if that was something I was interested in I would buy a mountain bike.

One of my buddies finally bought a bike and it was the lowest level TREK hybrid. I think it was a 700 and he paid less than $300 for it. I'll probably buy something similar but maybe a step or two up in price and features.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:35 PM   #9
John Nolan

Profile:
Cross-bike, single speed, hybrid, beach cruiser....based on your last post.
J
Old 04-30-2007, 10:24 PM   #10
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
John - what would possess you to spend so much on a bicycle? I ordered mine in late 2005 and it was just when the 06's went into production. I upgraded the saddle to a $200 silver beauty that matches the bike's finish, the titanium water bottle cages cost $50 each and I recently added a flat topped carbon fiber handle bar for $260 that is a joy to ride. Great bike choice John. I also have a Kestrel KM-40 and a Softride Rocket TT. I like bikes. Maybe somewhere down the road we'll see Jason on a Cerevelo or a Works bike.