CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 08-14-2007, 12:28 PM   #1
Johan Woger

Profile:
Ok so today i ran 3 miles on a track and had a Marine officer time me and i did 26:20. I was shocked. i thought i would do much better. I was really sore from working out yesterday. My question is the following. Right now i'm using the nike free shoes which are designed to give you the benefits to running barefoot. I used to use brooks gts 5. Do you guys think if i switch back to a proper running shoe with the correct support that my run time will improve? any thoughts would be appreciated. BTW i'm 5'5" 150ish.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:46 PM   #2
Gant Grimes

Profile:

I'm willing to bet that if you spend $200 on shoes, your time will improve (if for no other reason than you will run faster to justify your purchase!). I don't know what the benefits of running barefoot are, other than every person in Kenya can outrun me. If you want to run, and you want to protect your joints, go to a specialty store and have a knowledgeable salesperson evaluate your goals, fitness, stride, foot-strike pattern, etc.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:48 PM   #3
Johan Woger

Profile:
lol. Probably true. Well i need new shoes anyways because according to nike, these shoes weren't designed to run more than 3+ miles. So i'm probably going to get some new brooks and i'll post results here.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:37 PM   #4
Kevin McMillan

Profile:
nike frees arent made to simulate running barefoot, they are made to increase proprioceptive training in your ankles by adding slight unstability. basically forces you unconsciously to right yourself while performing an activity. so they are great when doing agility excersises. for running use running shoes... for lifting use lifting shoes... its like every sport there are specialty shoes, these are just another type.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:43 PM   #5
Milton Grasle

Profile:
When I first began running years ago, I tried many, many different kinds of shoes, hoping to get better running times. Speaking from that experience, I never found a shoe that gave me the slightest advantage. Admittedly, I ran mostly 10-k's, and sometimes a little farther. I now run much shorter distances, rarely over three miles, and mostly sprints to 400 meter stuff. I found that running shorter distances allows me to use a regular track shoe, very light weight, without any problems. Speaking for myself, I never found a shoe that helped to better my times, unless it was the ultra light shoe used in sprinting.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:46 PM   #6
Trevor Thompson

Profile:

I don't agree. were your feet made not to run more than X number of miles? I try to lift barefoot, and i run barefoot, it is very helpful and frankly it is biologically sound.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:40 PM   #7
George Mounce

Profile:
The best shoes I've found to date that mimic barefoot running are the Newton Gravitys.

(w/f safe): http://www.newtonrunning.com

Ya its a lot of technical stuff, but they do mimic running barefoot (read that as, the outside ball of your foot striking first). A little pricey but in the end very worth it. These shoes force good technique.

Old 08-14-2007, 05:19 PM   #8
Garrett Bartholme

Profile:
If you want to get a better time train on loose sand, beach or dunes. I was doing casual 2 mile runs where the terrain changed from road to dunes to beach. A couple days ago I did a 1.5 miles to get ready for my fitness test. I found that I was moving like a never have before. I think that running in sand forces you to lift your legs up more.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:38 AM   #9
Kevin Platt

Profile:
Johan

I think the key here is your statement that you were sore from the day before. What type of workout did you do the day before? If it was a squat heavy workout, I would say that your body was not "primed" for its best performance on a track workout. I never run well the day after a heavy squat day, and I suppose your legs, as do mine, need some recovery time. Also do you regularly train in the Nike Free's - from what I read your body needs some time to adjust to the Nike Frees.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:51 AM   #10
Brandon Oto

Profile:
George, you checked out Vibram FiveFingers? http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/