CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-18-2011, 06:22 PM   #861
Paulo Santos

Profile:
Re: An Effective, Yet Simple Strength and Conditioning Program

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Milligan View Post
Thanks Paulo!

So once I start with a weight, so I bump 5 lbs. per day like the rest of the lifts?
As other have indicated, 5# is a lot. I would do 2x5, 1x5+ on the last set. Once you can do about 10 reps on your third set, I'd add more weight.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:55 PM   #862
Andrew Milligan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Santos View Post
As other have indicated, 5# is a lot. I would do 2x5, 1x5+ on the last set. Once you can do about 10 reps on your third set, I'd add more weight.
Thanks a lot, Nick, Joe and Paulo!
Old 08-19-2011, 03:50 AM   #863
Adam Carlson

Profile:

Quote:
Thanks a lot, Nick, Joe and Paulo!
I also second the weighted dips on Tuesday, AMRAP on Thursday approach. It's what I did, and I liked it a lot. Tuesdays were weighted dips, 3x5 (although I definitely like the 2x5, 1x5+ approach), and on Thursday I did 3xF on the rings. Sometimes I would do them with a couple minutes of rest in between, others I would do the 'stop/start' method (rest up to about 30 seconds between sets).

Good to mix it up, but it's usually a good idea to do so with a purpose
Old 08-19-2011, 05:50 AM   #864
Andrew Milligan

Profile:

Thanks everyone. I'll go with weighted 2x5 and 1x5+ on Tuesdays and AMRAP on Thursdays. I just wish my globo had rings. Oh well, I couldn't even do one unassisted dip a year ago, so what I'm doing must be working anyway.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:15 AM   #865
Patrick Hochstrasser

Profile:

Whats about Run/Swimming? Can i do run at 3days 50-120minutes? And if so, when?

Sorry for my bad Englisch.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:03 PM   #866
Kevin Bean

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Hochstrasser View Post

"Conditioning workouts should not be in excess of ten minutes and typically will stay around the six to eight minute mark. Anything exceeding fifteen minutes will not yield appropriate output levels to cause adaptive stress."

That's from the program notes. "Conditioning" is up for interpertation I suppose, but 150-360 minutes of running or swimming is a **** ton while trying to pack on 10lbs to your squat a week.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:42 PM   #867
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Hochstrasser View Post

Not if you want to get bigger and stronger on this program for a prolonged period of time. If running for an hour or two 3x a week fits your goals, then it's unlikely that this program also fits them.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:24 AM   #868
Andrew Milligan

Profile:

So I reset almost every lift in the past week. I was pretty close to my 1RMs before I reset, so I'm not mad about that. I am feeling a little "bored" this week. Probably due to the lighter weights and the fact that I've been going for 13 weeks straight now. Has anyone esle had these feelings at this point? I was just wondering if it seems normal. If it's not normal and I should look at a program with a little more variety, should I looks towards GSLP or CFSB, or should I stick it out with the 70s Big program until I stop progressing? Thanks in advance!

edit: My other thought is to join an good affiliate with a strength focused procram.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:44 AM   #869
Alex Carey

Profile:

Quote:
So I reset almost every lift in the past week. I was pretty close to my 1RMs before I reset, so I'm not mad about that. I am feeling a little "bored" this week. Probably due to the lighter weights and the fact that I've been going for 13 weeks straight now. Has anyone esle had these feelings at this point? I was just wondering if it seems normal. If it's not normal and I should look at a program with a little more variety, should I looks towards GSLP or CFSB, or should I stick it out with the 70s Big program until I stop progressing? Thanks in advance!

edit: My other thought is to join an good affiliate with a strength focused procram.
One of the benefits of GSLP is that when you reset, you won't likely get bored by dropping the weights because you're going to be repping out your last set. So if your only problem right now is that you're feeling bored, making the switch to GSLP might be right up your alley. All the programs you mentioned are good programs, and you'll make gains on any of them. It's important to choose a program that you enjoy so that you'll stick with it.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:22 AM   #870
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:

GSLP wouldn't be a bad program to switch to, it's very similar to 70s Big so it's not like you'd be getting hurt like you would if you constantly jumped around from one program to another. The AMRAP sets keep things fun and it's 3 lift days per week instead of 4, so I found it easier to stay mentally fresh and not feel like I was getting beat down by training too regularly.