CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-15-2011, 10:24 AM   #11
Mike Barin

Profile:
Re: WOD's Alone

We have a "cross fit" area in our gym here on post here in Germany and I was lucky enough to meet a buddy who has already been to the L1 course and we were also able to find some bumper plates for cheap and set up our own gym in an empty part of our units building. I'd say just find at least one good partner and some good jams! Best of luck to you.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:02 PM   #12
Alexander Martin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Hood View Post
I honestly can't remember the last time I worked out with someone else. I'd love to. Like Brendan, I'm usually watching people.
Agreed. I can't recall the last time I did a workout with anyone. When I was in my early twenties I had a workout partner, but that only lasted a year or so but it was beneficial. If you are not an internal motivator I would suggest a workout partner.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:01 PM   #13
Kevin Bean

Profile:

I enjoy training alone. It's my fight to win.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:28 PM   #14
Jonathan Vechet

Profile:

Why do people insist on music being mandatory to get "ramped up?"

If your workout itself doesn't get you "ramped up", then perhaps you need to change your programming.

P.S. Linkin Park sucks.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:39 AM   #15
Michael R. Miller

Profile:

Or you could just get better at hill sprints to get to formation on time.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:47 PM   #16
Ash Smith

Profile:

In 4+ years of Xfitting (on and off, with some Rippetoe strength work and general laziness thrown in there), I've never done a WOD with anyone else but myself.

I love the idea of working out in a semi-competitive setting, which most boxes use, but I've never considered joining an affiliate because all of them around here only allow for prescribed workout times. I simply need more flexibility than that, so I've always done it solo (saving $120-$250 a month to spend on gear!). Consider it just an additional element of mental toughness...I can tell you from experience, 15-20 minutes into a workout, it's pretty tough to push through when you're only accountable to yourself. I see that as a plus. IMHO.
Old 08-17-2011, 03:07 PM   #17
David Meverden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Vechet View Post
Why do people insist on music being mandatory to get "ramped up?"

If your workout itself doesn't get you "ramped up", then perhaps you need to change your programming.

P.S. Linkin Park sucks.
Music just makes it better. Just like having a group makes it better and the stop watch makes it better.

Some people are fine working out by themselves without music without a score or a time to try to motivate them. Good for them. I'll take a more interesting option.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:11 PM   #18
Jonathan Vechet

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
Music just makes it better. Just like having a group makes it better and the stop watch makes it better.

Some people are fine working out by themselves without music without a score or a time to try to motivate them. Good for them. I'll take a more interesting option.
I'm not saying music can't make a workout more enjoyable, because I certainly don't believe that; unless it's the crap you hear downtown on the weekends that people refer to as "music."

But some people act as if they can't make a PR, or what have you, if they don't have their favorite tunes.

I played music when I worked out in my apartment. Now, at the gym, I just go off of whatever is playing over the speakers. And sometimes it is that downtown Thursday night crap called "music."
Old 08-17-2011, 06:21 PM   #19
Don Fell

Profile:

I work from home, and travel often. Most of my WOD's are done alone. I kinda like it that way... I can do whatever I want and tweek it how ever I want.

The thing that motivates me is failing. I dont care what the time on the clock is, or the rounds completed... if I sand bagged the WOD, I know it! and that ****es me off, becuase I know I cheated my self!

while the rest of yoru buddy's are laxing, your out there kicking it... push yourself, work harder, lift more, run faster, never stop and NEVER CHEAT YOURSELF!
Old 08-19-2011, 07:57 PM   #20
Ben Liniger

Profile:

I train alone, have for 15 years, even as a competitive Natural Bodybuilder and Powerlifter...hard to find someone with the same or more motivation levels and strength. I've tried to train with others, but get sick of the excuses of being late, etc.

It's easy to train alone, you just have to want it. Just like diet or anything requiring discipline and pushing yourself...it's hard to do but you have to WANT IT! Track your strength training and try to hit new PR's.

That said, for newbies or those lacking motivation, a group or training partner is perfect.