CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-14-2011, 08:57 PM   #11
Kevin Bean

Profile:
Re: Blending Met-cons and GSLP, how to do it

Another option is switching to 5 3 1 for strength. I found it complimented a metcon heavy schedule decently without the recovery demands of the weekly LP programs. Just a thought.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:17 AM   #12
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Here is a link to a spreadsheet that you can download, plug in your numbers, and use to figure out what to do weight wise. I did not create this sheet, and am not taking credit.

This is the linebacker version. (some play on words, so kind of wfs)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...=CM2Ayig#gid=0
Old 08-19-2011, 02:08 PM   #13
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Up date:

Monday
Press 5-5-5+
Squat 5-5-5+
Weighted Chins 2x6-8
FM Pull ups & Push ups

Tuesday
Met-con, 24:00 jump rope and body weight movements 7 rounds, 1 minute rest between rounds. Time includes 6 minutes of rest.

Wednesday
Rest
FM Push ups & Pull ups

Thursday
Bench 5-5-5+
Power Cleans 3-3-3
Dead Lift 5+
Curls 2x10-15 (Barbell done as described in Starting Strength)
FM Pull ups

Friday
Met-con
FM Pull & Push

Saturday
Met-con
FM Pull & Push

Sunday
Rest day

Pull ups are strict. I really like the power cleans as warm up to dead lifting. I found the power cleans could be taxing yet I was still able to pull 335x7 in my deadlift which is good for me. This really helps to cut the heavy lifting to 2 days a week.

The real test will be next Monday. I'm scheduled to increase every lift. I'll report back on how it goes.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:39 AM   #14
Tom Stepp

Profile:

Brendon how did this workout for you?
Old 03-20-2012, 10:16 AM   #15
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Worked well for a while then squat and deadlift stalled.

I'm using Mad Cow (a simple intermediate lifting program) with met-cons after lifts. Lifts are going up again. Metabolic conditioning is being maintained but not great. Will hit the met-cons hard after strength goals are accomplished hopefully in 12 weeks.

I will say I do not recommend stopping met-cons to focus on strength. The blended programs are a much better solution in my experience. Grey Skull Linear Progression + Met-cons (GSLP), CrossFit Football (CFFB), CF Conjugate, CrossFit Strength Bias (CFBS) and so on.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:51 AM   #16
Graeme Moore

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan McNamar View Post
I will say I do not recommend stopping met-cons to focus on strength. The blended programs are a much better solution in my experience. Grey Skull Linear Progression + Met-cons (GSLP), CrossFit Football (CFFB), CF Conjugate, CrossFit Strength Bias (CFBS) and so on.
Agreed, Brendan. I didn't touch metcon for about 5 months while doing 8 weeks of Stronglifts then 12 weeks of GSLP (and EATING). When I came to adding conditioning back in I felt like a newb again (no, worse in fact; as a newb at least I was prepared for the fact I was out of shape. Total mindf**k).

This situation actually led me to start scaling WODs in a linear fashion. Basically just the progressive overload principle but applied to metcon.

Only now after about 2.5 months of metcon 2xweek am I starting to get some decent wind back.

Hybrid is the way to go.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:52 AM   #17
Tom Stepp

Profile:

Thanks Brendon,
At 54 I don't have the luxury of backing up. 5 Months in I am strongly considering GSLP+metcons. If you get a chance look at the past programming at Crossfit Fort Bragg. Any thoughts on the typical week and how to schedule workouts. I am thinking 2x a week Monday and Wednesday evenings as those are normally Metcon days( I attend the 5:30 am class) Typically Tuesday and Thursday focus on Lifting, I would use those days as rest days. Friday is a skills work day. During the Open local programming has taken the Open WOD into consideration. I attend a USA Weightlifting class on Saturdays.
Thanks,

Tom
Old 03-20-2012, 08:40 PM   #18
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

I like CrossFit Fort Bragg's programming over all. Good general CrossFit with some heavy lifting. If you want to build strength faster then GSLP + met-cons would do it.

It can be tough to coordinate with an affiliate's programing. You might see if you could simply come in early and do one lift a day on a rotating basis for some extra strength work. Bench, squat, press, deadlift. We like weighted pull ups, dips and chin ups as well for building strength.

Just kind of depends on how much how fast.

Most people doing dedicated strength programs pick their own met-cons to allow for adequate recovery and no interference with lifting. Too much barbell work in the met-cons can interfere with the lifting recovery.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:02 AM   #19
Tom Stepp

Profile:

Thanks Brendan,
The group setting helps motivate me to move my carcass so the metcons at the box will continue. Extra lifting prior to or after isn't going to happen. I work out at 5:30 am(first class). The rest of the day the classes are so full that heats have to be run a lot of the times. We are moving into a new 12000 sq. ft. building in June. I have a power cage, bench, 3 oly bars and 560 lbs of bumpers in my garage. Along with a Rogue pullup bar, a dip station, and plyo box.

What does the schedule below look like. Enough rest for an old man?

Monday
AM: Crossfit WOD
PM: GSLP/ Chins/ VC1

Tuesday
AM: Fasted walk
PM: Dips/ DU practice

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

Saturday
12 noon: USA Weightlifting Class

Sunday
Rest
Old 03-22-2012, 08:09 AM   #20
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Stepp View Post
What does the schedule below look like. Enough rest for an old man?

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

Saturday
12 noon: USA Weightlifting Class

Sunday
Rest
Only 1 way to find out. I would bet you find turning Thursday into a full rest day might be a good idea. I'm 44 and find I can train as hard as the younger ones but I need extra rest after I do. Recovery just takes a little longer as we age.

My other observation is I always lift first and do a met-con second. This might not work in your schedule but for heavy lifting and strength building you want to be in a well rested condition when you begin lifting.

Make sure you eat well and enough or you won't make the strength gains. Also make sure your getting 8 hours of sleep a night. If your going to a 5:30 AM class then you should be in bed by 9 or 9:30.